584,800 active members*
4,797 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bp1 retrofitting

Hello friends, I have a project and I would like you to help me, I have a clone of bp series 1, I have 4 teknic sst n3437 motors and sos sst 1500 drivers, I want to make a retrofitting of the machine, I only need what size of ball screws would you need and what axis controller would you put, since I already listen to your opinions!!

juan pablo

Re: bp1 retrofitting

In the 90's I did a lot of this for a company that had 14 stores in the US and Canada, they were and still are also a catalog sales company, although I believe they closed a couple of stores in the 90's. I used different brands of ball screws but when I used the Hi Win screw, they were way better. I used the precision rolled, about an inch and a quarter (1-1/4") diameter. back then they sold ball screw kits for Bridgeport and copy's, the same kit fit both, maybe they still do. They were about $800 for the X&Y screws and a yolk to fit. I would not buy anything else. The brand with double nuts I didn't like and the ones from California I had to send back many times because of backlash. Precision rolled Hi Win screws have a single nut and almost no backlash. I would put them in new mills and only had to program .0005 or less in the X&Y in dovetail ways machines, maybe .0008 in the Y axis if the machine had square ways. The quill kits are trouble and I really don't recommend them although I installed a lot of them because that's what my customer wanted. Personally I would pick up a used Bridgeport or Hurco cnc that had little use but age is causing cnc control problems and retrofit that. They are out there but you may have to wait for the right one. A few months ago I found a series 1 Bridgeport a man that was over 70 years old had in his barn, it didn't run and it looked like brand new, that's what you want to find to retrofit. I put on the Centroid Acorn cnc controller.