584,846 active members*
4,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Reading Single-Ended Encoder in Camsoft

Hi guys,

We're having some trouble reading the X and Z axis encoders on our lathe.

The encoders for the X and Z axis servos are Yaskawa TFUE-25ZC7 encoders, which are single-ended encoders with an integral tach generator built in.

The outputs of this encoder match Figure 4 shown on page 8-25 of the installation manual, and have been wired as illustrated in the example. Viewing the encoder output in Diagnostics shows no movement.

The Y axis encoder has differential outputs and works fine in both directions on the same encoder input as what we have the single-ended encoder wired to now (encoder #1).

The encoders are connected in order per the recommendations in the Setup.exe program, with Z axis on encoder #1, X axis on encoder #2, and Y axis on encoder #3 (Setup.exe asks that the X and Z axes be wired to a lower numbered encoders than the Y axis. Thurston recommended that we wire Z first, then X, and then Y).

So after all of this, the issue seems to be that the encoders that we are trying to use are setup as differential inputs, so how do we change them to single-ended, or which encoder inputs should we be using?

The machine type has been left as "MAGIC" in Setup.exe just as it came from CamSoft. I had changed this to "GALIL" per the installation instructions, but that moved the travel limits to the X and Z axes and messed things up.

Thanks,

John

Re: Reading Single-Ended Encoder in Camsoft

Hello John

The CS16600 controller cards incremental encoder channel inputs can accept signal from an incremental encoder with single ended or differential outputs. With typical single ended you will have an A+, B+, and possibly an index or I+ outputs. With differential you will have A+, A-, B+, B-, I+, I- outputs.

For the CS16600 confirm the CARD setting under GENERAL SETTINGS in SETUP is set to MAGIC.

Confirm the wiring again for your encoder type per the CAMSOFT INSTALLATION GUIDE.

Confirm that the outputs from the Yaskawa encoder are standard incremental encoder outputs and not tachometer output signals.

Which motion control board is installed with the CamSoft?
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

2nd what digitalkool says.

I find a logic probe to be very helpful. Check if you got pulses going to your A+ and B+ channels. check that you got +5 volt and DC common going to your encoder.

https://www.valuetronics.com/product...RoC1fsQAvD_BwE

just one offer to show what i'm talking about.

I don't think you are there yet, but it is possible to buy a driver to convert to differential. Here is one offer:
    https://www.usdigital.com/products/a.../interfaces/EA

Quote Originally Posted by digitalkool View Post
    Hello John

The CS16600 controller cards incremental encoder channel inputs can accept signal from an incremental encoder with single ended or differential outputs. With typical single ended you will have an A+, B+, and possibly an index or I+ outputs. With differential you will have A+, A-, B+, B-, I+, I- outputs.

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes, I saw where the CS16600 card (Adlink PCI-8136) can do either. And the encoder that is giving us trouble is a single-ended encoder with A+, B+, and I+ (what I am used to seeing as Z+). The commons for all of these signals (e.g. A-, B-, and I-) are tied to Pin "D" and are run back to the panel in three individual wires.

For the CS16600 confirm the CARD setting under GENERAL SETTINGS in SETUP is set to MAGIC.
    It is, I have not changed it since putting it back to "MAGIC".

Confirm the wiring again for your encoder type per the CAMSOFT INSTALLATION GUIDE.
    I did, I followed the wiring example for the Hand Wheel Encoder in Chapter 8 of the installation guide (page 8-25). Since the encoder is a 12 VDC encoder, I ran it off of a separate 12 VDC power supply and ran the "D" (common wires) to both the common inputs (22, 24, & 26) as well as tied the commons to the negative terminal per the wiring diagram. But I will look again.

Confirm that the outputs from the Yaskawa encoder are standard incremental encoder outputs and not tachometer output signals.
    And this is where I left you guys hanging, and I apologize for it. I forgot to mention that I did scope out the encoder using a Rigol 1054Z. I'll admit that they weren't the prettiest signals that I have ever seen, but turning the shaft by hand is difficult. In any case what I clearly saw was a full quadrature signal (pretty noisy though!). The "B" channel was offset 90 degrees in relationship to "A", just as it ought to be. Given the difficulty of turning the shaft by hand, I only saw one instance of the index pulse firing. Triggering was a waste of time because of the noisy signal.

I'm going to grab a handful of batteries and use that as a temporary power supply and see if it is the power supply that is causing the problem. If so, I can whip together a filter circuit for it.

Thanks!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Which motion control board is installed with the CamSoft?
    Hi Jim,

It's the Adlink PCI-8136 card.

Thanks!,

John

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    2nd what digitalkool says.

I find a logic probe to be very helpful. Check if you got pulses going to your A+ and B+ channels. check that you got +5 volt and DC common going to your encoder.

https://www.valuetronics.com/product...RoC1fsQAvD_BwE

just one offer to show what i'm talking about.

Hi Karl!,

I have an Elenco Model LP-560 that I have never taken out of the packaging. So much for the 5 year warranty... But, what the heck?, it's about time that it has earned its keep. I just find the scope is easier, and way more useful in troubleshooting. Plus it goes wherever I go. But I've been wanting to try out the probe since I got it, and scope clips are a nuisance.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_T View Post
    I don't think you are there yet, but it is possible to buy a driver to convert to differential. Here is one offer:
    https://www.usdigital.com/products/a.../interfaces/EA
    Nope. me neither.

I did do some research prior to posting last night on converters, and I came across a discontinued product that looked a lot like this one except that it used an Ethernet connector instead. This looks very nice, and I am no fan of re-purposing Ethernet connectors for other uses as was done with the other product.

I had also found their discontinued USDigital EADPT:

https://www.usdigital.com/products/discontinued/EADAPT

Which they kind of let the cat out of the bag on how it is made:

https://cdn.usdigital.com/assets/dat...66791367186136

But I agree with you, it looks like the CamSoft controller wants to see a differential encoder here. A good test, and what I am planning on doing, is to wire the encoder into the Handwheel inputs and see if it gets read there. I called up USDigital and it may still be a bit early for them, Tech support hung up on me. I'll let them have their first coffee before calling back.

Thanks!,

John

Just an update, I contacted USDigital and the device that I would want to use is a:

EA-D-H-10-W5 About $70 each.

For others reading this in the future, keep in mind that this device is for a 5 VDC encoder. Don't simply connect it to an encoder of a different (higher) voltage without checking things first.

Because they limit the input voltage signal levels to 5 VDC, it would need current limiting resistors as well as 5.1 VDC Zener diodes to work with a 12 VDC encoder. Possibly the encoder inputs on my encoder would be fine as is, I'll have to check.

And the USDigital converters are on their way. Should be here Friday. Now where did I put those Zeners?

And I did scope out the power supply, and it is putting out a paltry 100 - 150 mV of noise. Nothing to lose any sleep over. But that means that the encoders could probably do with a recapping, I'll see if Thurston can get the Z axis encoder off and I'll do some ESR checks. Or I'll just shotgun them.

Thanks again for all of your help.

John