584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > CamSoft Products > Really need help with Camsoft CNC Controller

Hybrid View

Really need help with Camsoft CNC Controller

I bought a used custom made laser machine about a year ago.
    Have never been able to run it as there are no user manuals or instructions online.
    I have reached out camsoft for help but they told me before they can provide support I need to update to the newest version. Which cost a a lot for a old and used machine that I am not sure it worth spending...

I have already spend around $500 on a few laser technicians (not from camsoft) promising they get get it to work but once they see the camsoft software they have no idea how to run it as they work with chinese laser machine. I have also tired to get it to on my own, but have had limited luck. as of today I can load the design but the machine only traces the design without firing the laser and yes I clicked on the "laser on" in the CNC controller.
    I know the laser works as by chance only 1 time fired but have not been to do it again.

This is a custom made laser machine with universal laser UL-50-OEm on it
    DMC-1832 | Galil PCI bus motion controllers
    Synrad UC-2000 Laser Controller
    NEXTSTEP-240 308435 Stepper Motor Drive
    KML091F07 Superior Electric STEPPER MOTOR SLO SYN

Software is camsoft V8 I think level 1 (not sure if the setting is right and I don’t know how to use it)with machine tool controller V14.6

If anyone could please help me with anything like user manual or anything I would truly appreciate it or if you know any tech in Los Angeles that understand the system and make it work please please let me know.

Thank you in advance for any guidance or help
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC-controller.jpg   Unversal.JPG   Laser2.jpg   Laser-Machine.JPG  

Re: Really need help with Camsoft CNC Controller

It sounds like you have the machine sort of working, but need to get the laser under control.

I would start by figuring out which Galil output fires the laser. The using the Galil Tools terminal (assuming a Win7 or later OS) issue a SB(output bit) to turn it on, or a CB (output bit) to turn it off. That will tell you if the hardware is working.

If the hardware is working, then it just a matter of getting the setup correct.

I don't know what G code command(s) is supposed to control the laser on/off. You'll need to look in the G code to figure that out.

If you don't have Galil Tools you can download it from the Galil Motion Control website for free. (registration required, but they won't spam you)
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you Jim for the quick respond really appreciate it.
    I tried locating a 32bit Galil Tools terminal since my understanding was Camsoft runs only on the old PC Windows Xp 32 bit. but unfortunately Galil only offers GalilTools (x64)and(x86)I will try searching the net,but still I am not sure how to use or look for to tell me why the laser is not firing.
    Again if there is a user manual or anyone in Los Angeles Area that knows how to run the machine, It would be awesome.

The x86 version of Galil Tools is 32 bit. But it won't run on WinXP. For that you need to use Galil SmartTerminal, also downloadable from the Galil site. You should also download the DMC-18x2 manual, and the DMC-18x2 command manual.

Get the Galil Smart Terminal loaded on your computer and I'll help you through it.

You should be able to download a CamSoft Manual from the CamSoft site.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

thanks again for taking time to respond
    I downloaded and installed Galil Smart Terminal successfully. when I run the program it sees the card without issues. but then the CNC controller from camsoft would not open and give a error that it could not communicate with Galil card. so I rolled my computer back and now Galil Smart Terminal is uninstalled and CNC controller opens fine and machines run still without laser firing.
    P.S. If you have the link for CNC controller user manual please share as I am unable to find the link

You will not be able to communicate with the Galil card with both the CamSoft and the Galil Smart Terminal at the same time. But you can have both programs loaded on your computer.

The reason to load the Galil software is so you can manually control the various functions of your machine directly from the Galil terminal. This takes the CamSoft software out of the equation and allows you to do some direct troubleshooting.

The first goal is to see if the Galil card will turn the laser on and off reliably.

The troubleshooting is pretty simple to do, but maybe too difficult to try to do in the forum.

Send me a private message and I'll give you my contact info. Don't forget to turn your private messaging on.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hello James,

I can help you with your Camsoft system. I am a Camsoft Applications Engineer currently working from home. If you would like to work with me directly I don't require that your Camsoft system is updated to the latest version or currently under maintenance. Please reach out to me in a private message and I can provide my contact info.

Is there a way to activate and fire the laser from Synrad UC-2000 Laser Controller? to make sure it not dead.
    If yes, please please provide me with step by step instruction

Go with Ruben. he is an expert on Camsoft.

Thanks Karl
    Yes, I have already pm Ruben and looking forward to hear from him soon.

I tried Ruben but he never was able to help me fix a problem with Camsoft, and there are many.