584,879 active members*
5,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > tormach 1100 3 series stepper motor

tormach 1100 3 series stepper motor

Hello, My buddy has a 1100 that's been updated to the 3 series Steppers. His x axis has locked up. Tormach says the soonest they will have a replacement is June 6. He is running production parts and needs to be up and running. Has anyone used another Stepper and if so could you point us in the right direction on getting him up and running? The stepper motor is seized, The leadshine 3ND883 driver is fine. Just need a suitable stepper replacement. Thank You

Re: tormach 1100 3 series stepper motor

pretty sure I saw some 1100 steppers on ebay recently . Otherwise stepperonline may have a motor he can match up

Quote Originally Posted by thumper650 View Post
    Hello, My buddy has a 1100 that's been updated to the 3 series Steppers. His x axis has locked up. Tormach says the soonest they will have a replacement is June 6. He is running production parts and needs to be up and running. Has anyone used another Stepper and if so could you point us in the right direction on getting him up and running? The stepper motor is seized, The leadshine 3ND883 driver is fine. Just need a suitable stepper replacement. Thank You
    I believe that they use 3 phase steppers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCvwvHoCvg

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I believe that they use 3 phase steppers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diCvwvHoCvg
    Yes they are a 3 wire 3 phase stepper. Tormach wouldn't even give him the factory stepper ounce number. 600oz-800oz?

3 phase steppers. X & Y are (or were in the bipolar steppers) rated at 640 oz-in, Z was twice that. Presumably the spec on the 3 phase is similar or slightly bigger.

Is it possible to use the Z stepper on the x axis? I have a stepper with a bad brake that we pulled from the Z axis that is just sitting around the shop.

If the drivers for the X axis are OK with the higher power draw, and if the mechanical fit is there, then it should work.
    At a minimum, make sure it's not too long, and that it has the same NEMA size, and that the drivers are tuned for the higher-torque higher-current motor.
    So, "possible?" Yes, probably!
    "Drop-in replacement?" No, not likely.

Are the steppers from the newer machines compatible? I have the set from my 1100M that came out when I upgraded to servos.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2 View Post
    Is it possible to use the Z stepper on the x axis? I have a stepper with a bad brake that we pulled from the Z axis that is just sitting around the shop.
    Same driver. May have to change the current limit switches (I didn't check mine). Also, the Z is physically bigger- but it's just longer by a couple inches or so, otherwise same mount, Unless there's something in the way on the left side, that's not an issue. Drive and motor swap is a standard diagnostic tool, mentioned on this forum several times already.

I'd sure spend the few bucks on shipping to give that a try.