584,833 active members*
5,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Fanuc OM-B / Cortini BF400 can't move axes after repair
Page 1 of 2 12

Fanuc OM-B / Cortini BF400 can't move axes after repair

Hi!

During October i purchased a 1990-ish Cortini BF400 VMC with Fanuc OM-B controller.

Only 750 hours and in functional condition. after installation and some time for learning the system i found out that the Z axis ball screw was damaged, and the cables going to the spindle was worn.

So i began a needed service / overhaul.
    I had to take the column off the machine to access the Z screw, i changed the following:

* Cables going to the Z head containing of: AC power on spindle, encoder on spindle, spindle fan, home and limit switches for z head, inductive sensor for tool in spindle check.
    * all cables for tool changer (simple type of arm that swings in under spindle with a rotating plate with 6 slots),
    * all pneumatic hoses
    * all lubrication lines
    * Z axis screw and nut
    * Belts or XYZ servos

And after assembly and start up off the machine i have the following issues:

* None of the XYZ axis will move.
    * Spindle only runs CW with very low speed (5-10rpms?) M3 or M4 makes no difference, S value makes no difference.

This is what works:

* No alarms
    * Msg that i need to do reference search (hard to do when you can't move)
    * All servos is holding position when manually trying to move them, if i hit E-stop i can move them and the position on the controller change accordingly
    * Lube pump works
    * If i don't have tool changer in correct position (manually by affecting pneumatic valves) i get an alarm to restore tool changer
    * manual tool change button opens the drawbar when in jog mode
    * when hitting M6 T2 with a tool in spindle and T2 is the current number on the ATC disc, the light goes green for T2 on the control panel
    * all limit switches for XYZ makes the controller go to "NOT READY" mode
    * when turning spindle by hand i can see the rpm counter on the spindle driver display current rpm

I've double checked the wiring and I've fairly certain it's correct but sure it could be wrong some where.

The diagnostics parameter 0700 show all zeros indicating that:
    * No m, s, t function is being executed.
    * No move command is being executed
    * No Dwell is being executed
    * No in-position check is being executed
    * Override is not at 0%
    * No Interlock signal (STLK) is turned one
    * No speed arrival signal of spindle is turned on

The diagnostics parameter 0701 show all zeros indicating that:
    * No reset button on the MDI panle, emergency stop is active

The diagnostics parameter 0712 show all zeros indicating that:
    * Indicates automatic operation stop or feed hold states are not active

If i would guess it would be that i'm missing some enable signal. the slow spindle speed is a bit weird i don't know how it was before the overhaul but i'm fairly certain that i could run the spindle at any rpm before doing reference search. could it be that it's looking for index signal? but i know that before the overhaul the spindle did not move until commanded, so i could do reference search without the spindle indexing.

Any help in troubleshooting is very appreciated! I really don't know what to do next!

Br Victor

Re: Fanuc OM-B / Cortini BF400 can't move axes after repair

Lets start with joging an axis. Can you select Jog mode? if so then are G128 bit 0, 1, 2 are set to 1. Check G129 goes to 1 when jogging X axis plus. Make sure G142 bit 0 and 1 are 0's when jogging X axis

Thank you very much for helping out!

I've checked Diagnostics 0128 and they are all zeros.
    And diagnostics 0129 does not change when hitting the different axis keys in jog mode.

I checked a few more pages and D116-118 and D177 did change when hitting the axis keys in jog mode see below videos.

Hope this makes sense!

Br Victor

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Lets start with joging an axis. Can you select Jog mode? if so then are G128 bit 0, 1, 2 are set to 1. Check G129 goes to 1 when jogging X axis plus. Make sure G142 bit 0 and 1 are 0's when jogging X axis

Forgot to mention, Diagnostics 0142 is all zeros and does not change when jogging.

Br Victor
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210409_080228.jpg  

Did you P cancel the machine at power on so it looks for the switches ?
    M3 and M4 low RPM check cable for speed sensor is working ?

Quote Originally Posted by lshingleton View Post
    Did you P cancel the machine at power on so it looks for the switches ?
    M3 and M4 low RPM check cable for speed sensor is working ?

I tested holding down LQP + CAN buttons like below image, but couldn't tell any difference in procedure. was holding them pressed from turning on main breaker to after start and releasing estop.

Regarding low speed i will have to double check wiring, but since spindle driver count's the rpm's when turning the spindle manually i thought that should be ok?

Br Victor

Holding in OT release with power on is the Green light flashing if so can you put machine in manual and move axis ?
    Spindle drive will turn the spindle but require so sort of feed back and usually a second small built on the spindle motor connection or a feed back sensor -Older machines did it this way

Holding in OT release with power on is the Green light flashing if so can you put machine in manual and move axis ?
    Spindle drive will turn the spindle but require so sort of feed back and usually a second small built on the spindle motor connection or a feed back sensor -Older machines did it this way
    The green power light is solid on, makes no difference when pushing the over travel release button, what does happen is if i'm in Estop mode and the not ready is flashing on the screen, when holding down OT release, not ready goes away and contactors are engaging again. but maybe that's normal?

Br Victor

Different controls have different power on recover modes ----I dont know this machine to well but very common on Fanuc controls-----------------Estop power off and on power up hold ot release and power on in together -----------What this did was put the machine into ot recovery and still holding them be in manual and see if the axis move and please tell me Machine lock of axis is not on lol

Different controls have different power on recover modes ----I dont know this machine to well but very common on Fanuc controls-----------------Estop power off and on power up hold ot release and power on in together -----------What this did was put the machine into ot recovery and still holding them be in manual and see if the axis move and please tell me Machine lock of axis is not on lol
    Tried powering up with Estop active and holding OT release while holding the power on key turned to on position. could not see any difference, tried a few different combinations while powered on but no luck. What do you mean about "machine lock of axis is not on"?

Br Victor

A toggle switch or could be a setting key for machine lock which stops all movement of the axis ?----------Is all doors closed or bypassed keyed ?--------Select a Rapid movement percent greater than zero so the switch has lite up ?----------------I ask this as so many machine have different requirements for some reason and these are things i learned over the yrs

If you ever decide the machine is too much headache let me know . By chance do you know of any for sale ?

A toggle switch or could be a setting key for machine lock which stops all movement of the axis ?----------Is all doors closed or bypassed keyed ?--------Select a Rapid movement percent greater than zero so the switch has lite up ?----------------I ask this as so many machine have different requirements for some reason and these are things i learned over the yrs
    Ok, i did some checks,

Machine lock is OFF
    No doors on this machine
    rapid, jog and feed override is above 0%
    Checked the wiring again from the spindle encoder to the connector and it is the same as before.

The machine did run 1 month ago before the teardown.

Br Victor

Quote Originally Posted by gabedrummin View Post
    If you ever decide the machine is too much headache let me know . By chance do you know of any for sale ?
    Hoping that i will get this running soon, but if hell frezes over i will go the conversion route to LinuxCNC.

And since i live in Sweden it would be quite pricey to ship 1,5t mill over seas :wave:

Br Victor

Has no doors now or never had ?-------Why i am asking is how are you getting around Safety interlocks at power on ?

Has no doors now or never had ?-------Why i am asking is how are you getting around Safety interlocks at power on ?
    As far as i know it has never had doors, just a plastic apron the kept the coolant and chips on the inside.

And even if it did have a door when new, i don't understand why it worked 1 month ago and now after replacing 4 cables it stopped working. And if it would be a door switch would that show some kind of message?

Br Victor

Door Switch may be running through a Safety PLC and not showing and Alarm on the Control
    When you power it up does it give a ready signal ?--------------Can you get into the ladders on the machine or read them at all ?

Lets start with joging an axis. Can you select Jog mode? if so then are G128 bit 0, 1, 2 are set to 1.THIS IS AS FAR AS YOU NEED TO GO. With G128 being all 0's your machine is in an axis interlock state. This means that the axis are not in a condition to move. I hope you have a printout of the ladder because without it you have no idea as to how to get the machine out of this state. Fanuc doesn't allow the ladder to be displayed on that controller so you have to reply of the diagnostic page to see what is on.

Quote Originally Posted by drdos View Post
    Lets start with joging an axis. Can you select Jog mode? if so then are G128 bit 0, 1, 2 are set to 1.THIS IS AS FAR AS YOU NEED TO GO. With G128 being all 0's your machine is in an axis interlock state. This means that the axis are not in a condition to move. I hope you have a printout of the ladder because without it you have no idea as to how to get the machine out of this state. Fanuc doesn't allow the ladder to be displayed on that controller so you have to reply of the diagnostic page to see what is on.
    Hi.

Ok! i only have the printed manual and i have saved the parameters. that's all I have..

What can i do?

What is the reason for the interlock? is it likely that i do have some wiring wrong since it worked before changing them? if so will finding the wiring issue release the interlock? or can this happen because something is out of sync or similar?

Br Victor

Page 1 of 2 12