584,866 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Control Spindle with TB6560-3V2 (Red Board)

Question Control Spindle with TB6560-3V2 (Red Board)

Hello,

I have a Zen Toolworks 7x7 CNC machine from back in 2012 and have been using it for PCB milling once in a while. Right now I control the spindle on/off with a switch on the wall but I recently discovered that my TB6560 has a spindle port which supposedly is able to drive the spindle somehow (I presume via some controller board attachment). I am unsure if this port uses a low voltage PWM signal like other TB6560s or if it can drive the spindle directly. I was hoping that given the details below, someone could help me identify what I need to add in order to run the spindle. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Controller Board: TB6560-3V2 (Red Board)
    - Input Voltage: 24 - 36 Volt DC (I run it at 36v), 3.5 Amp
    - The product page says "Relay spindle interface - Outputs Max. 36V 7.5A for spindle motors or coolant pump (only one device can be powered by this output!)"

Spindle: Zen Toolworks Spindle Motor (Grade A+)
    - Input Voltage: 24 - 36 Volt DC, 2 Amp
    - Speed: 5000 - 8500 rpm

I found this PWM motor speed controller on eBay. Is this what I need?

Thank you for the help!

Re: Control Spindle with TB6560-3V2 (Red Board)

Having looked around the internet for a while I have come to realize that this port may only emit a constant low voltage signal which is meant to control a relay to turn the spindle on/off (no speed control, no pwm). However, using a known working LED that lights up at about 1.5 volts, I cannot get the LED to light when connected to the port. In Mach 3 I can click the CW F5 spindle button and one of the red LEDs will turn on or off depending on the state (off when the CW F5 button is flashing yellow), and the black relay will make clicking sounds, but still no voltage seems to be present. I'm wondering if my board has a loose connection somewhere.

Here's a picture of the board and port in question:

I must admit it does not make sense to me why this would have such a large relay inline with the port if the port was only to output a low voltage, though. If this thing actually is supposed to output 36v then I'd be in luck.

I finally figured it out! Turns out the port is connected only to the relay, not to any source of power. From the documentation I was under the impression that power was supplied from the input of the board to the blue port as an output, but instead it turns out that one side of the port is meant to be power in, and the other is power out. Which side you use doesn't matter. Here's a beautiful wiring diagram that I drew:

I don't know what "Voltage regulated spindle speed controlled by parallel interface as function of supply voltage" on the product page is supposed to mean, because it certainly has no speed control that I can see. This is nothing more than a physical on/off relay. I hope this helps someone, but I have a feeling I'm the last person on earth using this board haha... :drowning:

Mitch, I am trying to accomplish the same as you did here sans relay, however I have the blue TB6560

I Have Output/Relay in the following arrangement:

Ground-Power-m1-m2

Could you provide any assistance. I have spent 3 days getting this new board configured after the stock controller blew. Really want to start cutting!

I am using the same exact "Red board". The "Blue board" is not much different.

To control the spindle speed, you need at least two signals: spindle on (output 17 in my machine) and PWM (output 16 in my machine).

Keep in mind that most spindle drives will NOT accept a PWM signal. You will need to convert PWM to 0..10V. You can buy a converter in China or make your own if you like: