584,849 active members*
4,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Glass, Plastic and Stone > Milling and Drilling Quartz Material?

Milling and Drilling Quartz Material?

Hi, I'm a newbie, please help me solving this problem.
    We have a machine part which made by quartz, it's size is 200*200*20 mm. Only have a 100mm diameter pocket with 5mm depth and some 3mm diameter holes depth 15mm on it. Now we have to make a new one but we don't know suitable method or cutting parameter to process this kind of material. Anyone around who have experience or document please help.
    Sorry for my poor English.
    Thanks!

Re: Milling and Drilling Quartz Material?

Up up,,, pls help

You need sintered diamond abrasives, (also called polycrystaline diamond or PCD) to deal with quartz. Use them very slowly with low depth of cut and plenty of flood coolant. Manufacturers should have more detailed recommendations for speeds and feeds in different materials.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You need sintered diamond abrasives, (also called polycrystaline diamond or PCD) to deal with quartz. Use them very slowly with low depth of cut and plenty of flood coolant. Manufacturers should have more detailed recommendations for speeds and feeds in different materials.
    Thanks a lot!

I use sintered diamond ring tools to generate spherical surfaces on glass. Quartz/fused silica is very hard glass. our application only requires plunge cuts along the z-axis to generate a curve and with this material we can only use a feedrate of about 0.05 to 0.1 mm/min. Any faster and it squeals like a banshee and the glass starts to light up like a christmas tree. For drilling you might be able to get away with faster feedrates, I've never had to drill it before. We use sintered diamond tooling with 0.18 mm size diamond particles with 75%-100% concentration. That seems to work but you could probably cut faster with a rougher tool. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiasca View Post
    I use sintered diamond ring tools to generate spherical surfaces on glass. Quartz/fused silica is very hard glass. our application only requires plunge cuts along the z-axis to generate a curve and with this material we can only use a feedrate of about 0.05 to 0.1 mm/min. Any faster and it squeals like a banshee and the glass starts to light up like a christmas tree. For drilling you might be able to get away with faster feedrates, I've never had to drill it before. We use sintered diamond tooling with 0.18 mm size diamond particles with 75%-100% concentration. That seems to work but you could probably cut faster with a rougher tool. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for your help