584,860 active members*
5,165 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Mach Mill > Mach 3 is resetting home when pc is turned off. Can any one help.

Mach 3 is resetting home when pc is turned off. Can any one help.

Hi
    I have 2 cnc machines. I will refer to the as #1 and #2

#1 can remember where it was when i exit Mach 3 and reboot the pc. I LOVED THIS ONE.

The second one will remember where it was when exiting and restarting Mach 3, but not when i reboot the pc. <<I NEED TO FIX THIS ONE

I can exit Mach 3 and turn off the mill then restart Mach 3 and turn on the mill and it remembers where it was BUT.

If I reboot the PC and start Mach 3, Mach 3 software resets home (0,0,0) to wherever I last moved it before was turned off. Causing me to re home it every time I start up the PC to do work.
    Can anyone help me find out how to make it remember like PC#1 does?

Re: Mach 3 is resetting home when pc is turned off. Can any one help.

General Config, Persistent Offsets and Persistent DRO's.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Home switches?

Steppers?

Are you resuming actual cutting work over multiple sessions?

Steppers that have been powered off and on again will not be in the exact same position.
    If you have any gravity / external force move any axis while not powered, you won't be in the same position.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    General Config, Persistent Offsets and Persistent DRO's.
    Thanks. That dos not solve the problem .

Both machines Persistent Offsets and Persistent DRO's are set the same in Mach 3.

Machine #2 will save the settings when closing the software "MACH3" and turning off the CNC.

BUT if I turn off the PC, then the Home setting will become where ever the bit is setting when the PC was turned off.

If I do not turn off the PC then when I re start MACH3 and turn on the cnc everything is still like it was when the software and the cnc are turned off.

This only happens when the PC is turned off. CAn any one help?

hi

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    Home switches?

Steppers?

Are you resuming actual cutting work over multiple sessions?

Steppers that have been powered off and on again will not be in the exact same position.
    If you have any gravity / external force move any axis while not powered, you won't be in the same position.
    Noting you mentioned has to do with the PC resetting the home when it is turned off. This is causes major problems every morning when the crew tries to check the home. Soft limits cause too much time . The crew should come in . turn on the machine . check it then start. Like they do with the rest of the machines.

Are they both the same version of Mach3? Both using parallel ports, or external controllers?
    The only thing that should change the home position is to home the machine. Is there anything in the initialization strings that are different?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Simple solution.
    Send the machine to G28 home position at the end of every day.
    Then in the morning, if PC resets home it won't matter because the machine was at home already.
    Good to go.

I've always done this from day1.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicGlenn View Post
    Noting you mentioned has to do with the PC resetting the home when it is turned off. This is causes major problems every morning when the crew tries to check the home. Soft limits cause too much time . The crew should come in . turn on the machine . check it then start. Like they do with the rest of the machines.
    How does the machine know what has happened while it was turned off?

If you don't have absolute linear scales, you are just assuming the machine is in the same place.

What does "soft limits cause too much time" mean?

Do you have home switches?
    If so, just home the machine when it is turned on.

I haven't use Mach3 for years (because it's buggy and obsolete) but LinuxCNC won't let me run a program until homed after turning on.

What do you mean the "tries to check the home"

Are you definately talking about homing and not work offsets (G54)?
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

I thought about that and I might have to but I would still like to know why or how that part of mach 3 works. it one Mach 3 can do it then both should.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Are they both the same version of Mach3? Both using parallel ports, or external controllers?
    The only thing that should change the home position is to home the machine. Is there anything in the initialization strings that are different?
    Hi Gerry
    The one that works is a parallel printer port external controller and the one that does not is a USB external controller.

RE String . I would not know how to find a string. I paid for MAch 3 license and the version they sent me will not load drivers or run the machine at all . so i loaded a older ver sent by cnc supplier and
    it allows me to run the machine with the only problem being the saving the home position. I wish i could install the version i paid for and get it to work.

I have one machine that is parallel printer port controller 3040 with demo version of mach 3.( this machine only makes one size pocket for over 3 years and dose not need over 500 lines thus demo version of mach 3) it works great with mach3. saves the home position and head position when controller is turned off, Mach 3 is turned off and pc is rebooted.

I just bought a USB controller 6090 purchased mach3 license. It saves the home position and head position when controller is turned off, Mach 3 is turned off BUT when pc is rebooted. it swaps the home position to where ever the head and gantry is positioned and the home position is adjusted to the distance from the new home it set.

Why is the USB machine resetting the home when the PC is rebooted. It will save it correctly if the controller and MACH3 are shut down and restarted but not when the PC is shut down. Example: home = (0,0) cutter head is at (10.10) after shutting off the controller and closing MACH3 then turning them on again nothing changes. that is good. >>>> BUT<<<<< if I shutting off the controller and closing MACH3 then re boot the PC home becomes (-10,-10) and cutter head position becomes (0,0)

Quote Originally Posted by pippin88 View Post
    How does the machine know what has happened while it was turned off?

If you don't have absolute linear scales, you are just assuming the machine is in the same place.

If so, just home the machine when it is turned on.

I haven't use Mach3 for years (because it's buggy and obsolete) but LinuxCNC won't let me run a program until homed after turning on.

Are you definately talking about homing and not work offsets (G54)?

Hi Pippin88

]How does the machine know what has happened while it was turned off?

ME: The machine dose nothing when its off.

ME: The machine with the parallel port can do it with mach why caint the USB machine do it. Same MACH 3

ME: The machines use soft limits in stead of Switches . MAch 3 tracks to machine movements so you dont need switches. incase of incorrect code ect and prevents damage.

ME: no I wish. Not on this machine

If so, just home the machine when it is turned on. NO switches

ME: I wish I knew of an alternative that worked.

Are you definately talking about homing and not work offsets (G54)?[/QUOTE]

ME: I dont know. I'm new to this. it could be.