585,761 active members*
4,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 750 - 4th axis cable unplugged - Where does it go?

Arrow 750 - 4th axis cable unplugged - Where does it go?

I have only just gotten around to trying out the 4th axis that I bought with my machine in 2020 and it's throwing up alarms saying I need to check solenoids and stuff when I do the alignment.
    This cable (pics attached) is unplugged in the cabinet around the back that I have turned a blind eye to as it hasn't caused me a problem until now.
    The cable is numbered 2901 and it leads to the 4th axis. It is supposed to be plugged into the big green board with the R numbers on it. I've had a little look around but can't find evidence of where it has come from so I am asking if anyone here knows which socket it is meant to plug into?

Cheers,
    Burf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230410_164118.jpg   20230410_164057.jpg  

No pics attached to refer to.

What wire 2901 is depends on which electrical prints apply to your machine (wire numbers changed with different machines) so refer to your electrical prints to see where it should go.

Just quickly looking at prints with me, wire 2901 is the motor overtemp signal which is chained from the X, Y, and Z axis motors. Since this chain would be broken without the 4th axis there will be a jumper plug installed where the cable needs to be plugged in. BUT...this may not apply to your machine so you really need to refer to the correct electrical prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Burf86 View Post
    I have only just gotten around to trying out the 4th axis that I bought with my machine in 2020 and it's throwing up alarms saying I need to check solenoids and stuff when I do the alignment.
    This cable (pics attached) is unplugged in the cabinet around the back that I have turned a blind eye to as it hasn't caused me a problem until now.
    The cable is numbered 2901 and it leads to the 4th axis. It is supposed to be plugged into the big green board with the R numbers on it. I've had a little look around but can't find evidence of where it has come from so I am asking if anyone here knows which socket it is meant to plug into?

Cheers,
    Burf
    I suspect your machine isn't 4th axis ready. It may have been supplied or bought separately. Usually, there is a dummy plug for e-stop etc plugged in when not in use but 4th axis ready.

Look for the machine data sheet to see if the 4 axis was an included option.

Re: Arrow 750 - 4th axis cable unplugged - Where does it go?

No photos attached, that's strange. I can see them...? Below is a link to a google photos folder with the photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kekREzZCiBZgRW54A

Maver1ck - wire 2901 runs over the top of the machine and leads to one of the connections that the 4th axis plugs into so I'm kind of sure that it's not an X, Y, Z over-temp signal...

Servtech - I'm not sure about this. The 4th was in use by the firm I purchased the machine from.

I have had a look at the prints I have for the machine (given to me by the late and great Killroy) and found some information about the 4th-axis wiring. I have included a screenshot of this section in the google drive folder. I can't see any mention of wire 2901 in there but it does show that the 4th-axis wires go to terminal R13. There is nothing plugged into terminal R13 in the cabinet, a quick lineup of wire 2901 looks like it used to go there, in terms of how the wires bend and sit if you know what I mean...

The plug on the end of wire 2901 has a sticker P64 and there is a jumper plugged into R64 with a sticker P64D. All other plugs have matching stickers, for example, R26 has a plug with P26 on it.

I can't find any mention of R64 or wire 2901 in the wiring prints I have and I'm begging to suspect they are not the right ones for my machine. For example, the three wires coming from the drive supply contactor to the PSR4 have different numbers than those on the prints and this is consistent with a lot of other wires.
    Last edited by Burf86; 04-12-2023 at 10:13 PM.

I don't know if anyone else can see the pictures, but I have checked the thread with both phone (mobile) and PC, and neither show anything attached. But your link worked so not really needed anymore.

It sounds like your prints match (or at least partially match) the ones I referred to the other day, so 2901 would be for the 4th axis overtemp signal as I mentioned. By "chained through the X, Y and Z" I meant there is a single input to the CNC for axis motor overtemp input that will fault if any one of the motors is opens the signal. The 24V signal goes to the X-axis motor and then back to one of the plugs on the connection board where it is "chained" to the Y-axis motor and back to the connections board, next to the Z-axis motor and back, and finally through the 4th axis motor and back before it reaches the CNC as an input for axis overtemp (or sometimes labeled Overload). You can confirm this by removing the jumper plug from R64 (with all power to the machine completely off) and then starting the machine up. Assuming that is the correct place for the connector, you will get an axis overtemp/overload alarm with the jumper missing. Shut the machine down again and plug in the jumper back in (or 4th axis wire assuming you have your motor connected at the other end) and your alarm will be gone.

As I mentioned, you should have the correct prints for your machine....and they are still readily available from Fives. Prints that are "kind of similar" to what your machine has may actually cause you more headaches than not having any prints because you will look for wire numbers that don't exist and chase possible causes that aren't even on your machine. You will need to give Fives the Electrical Drawing number found on the serial number plate to ensure you get the correct prints, but make sure you have your Serial number ready to give them too just to avoid any issues.

An after thought about removing the jumper to confirm you get the overtemp/overload alarm. Your original post mentioned you are getting alarms (plural) about solenoids, etc. Depending on sequencing of the alarms, you may not actually see the overtemp one I mentioned because it could get buried behind the other ones. I think the overtemp will take priority but am not sure so figured it was worth mentioning.