585,982 active members*
4,610 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > BOM Problem when using multiple sheets

BOM Problem when using multiple sheets

I don't have enough space on a single drawing sheet to show all the components in my G.A. drawing. I have decided to use multiple sheets (2 sheets) to allow me to baloon all the components.

In doing this, however, I have picked up a problem.... I inserted a BOM on both sheet 1 and 2. When it comes to balooning the components, something goes horribly wrong (particularly in sheet 2). The item numbers in the baloons do not correspond with the item numbers in the BOM???

Is this a bug in Solidworks 2007, or am I attempting something I shouldn't be or going around it in the wrong way???

multiple sheet BOM

The balloons of a BOM refer to the active model on each individual sheet. In other words, when you insert a BOM into a sheet, the program will insert the BOM referring to the model that is active on that sheet. If that model is different than the active model on the other sheets, then you will get different balloon numbering.
    In order to get the same numbering sequence, I insert the same model on all sheets, then insert the BOM. I then hide the view (if I don't need it), and place detail views, etc, and insert balloons as needed.
    You can also manually modify the balloon number by changing the number system to 'custom'.
    Hope this helps.
    Regards
    JWI

Don't forget to right click the view, select properties and down near the bottom left select "link to BOM" and select which BOM to link it to.. this will keep the numbers linked properly also..
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)