585,744 active members*
4,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > Fusion 360: Is there a way to cut a little deeper then the geometry?

Fusion 360: Is there a way to cut a little deeper then the geometry?

I see there is a leave stock option, but is it possible to add to the depth of a cut to make up for variation material?

Cutting slots in a Aluminum enclosure and sometime I don't get a clean cut all the way through and an left with a thin bit of aluminium left at the bottom of the slot. Can I just tick a box somewhere and say go 0.3mm further down?

Re: Fusion 360: Is there a way to cut a little deeper then the geometry?

Hi,
    yes there is.

The Bottom Height, on the heights tab, sets the maximum depth that the tool will cut. You can specify an offset. With reference to the pic attached I nominated the maximum depth of cut
    to be the bottom of the model but then cut an extra 0.25mm by nominating a -0.25mm offset to that.

Craig

Hi Peps - three ways to do it:
    1) Take the tool back to 0,0,0 and move it down the required amount. Re zero and rerun programme
    2) Use the stock to leave instruction and put in a minus value. Re post the program and then rerun
    3) in the heights tab set the bottom height say 0.5 or 1mm below the bottom of the job
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    yes there is.

The Bottom Height, on the heights tab, sets the maximum depth that the tool will cut. You can specify an offset. With reference to the pic attached I nominated the maximum depth of cut
    to be the bottom of the model but then cut an extra 0.25mm by nominating a -0.25mm offset to that.

Craig
    Thank you for coming to my aid yet again Craig!

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Peps - three ways to do it:
    1) Take the tool back to 0,0,0 and move it down the required amount. Re zero and rerun programme
    2) Use the stock to leave instruction and put in a minus value. Re post the program and then rerun
    3) in the heights tab set the bottom height say 0.5 or 1mm below the bottom of the job
    Peter
    Thank you, appreciate the tips, always good to know multiple ways to skin a cat.

Easiest one of two ways - set your Z zero to the bottom of the stock rather than the top, then zero off your bed/spoilboard, or set Axial stock to Leave at a negative number; -0.002" will cut that much below the previous cut, for example.
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Hi,

set your Z zero to the bottom of the stock rather than the top,
    That certainly works but I don't like it much. If I set Z zero to the top of the material then any negative Z coordinate means 'below the surface of the material, ie cutting and caution required' whereas any
    positive Z coordinate means 'above the surface of the material ie not cutting and free to move without fear'

This is simply what or how I like to operate. The only time it fails, or rather has shortcomings, is if as part of the machining of the part that the top surface of the material is all cut away. Then should you need
    to replace a broken or blunt tool then you have no reference surface to touch off to any longer. Provided you have given some thought to how you are going to maintain Z axis reference in such an event
    then you can work around it.

Craig

I work with both, probably zero off the spoilboard 75% of the time. If I'm carving text or pockets then I zero off the top of the work piece. No issues getting and keeping it straight in my mind when I'm cutting. But this way suits the type of work I do and bits I use, so yes, ymmv.
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Very helpful knowledge.