585,573 active members*
3,489 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > help with pockets leaving islands

help with pockets leaving islands

I'm pretty new to mastecam and unsuprisingly I've run into a problem making some pockets. It seems that no matter what I do, change end mill size, change path type, change overlap percentage etc it leaves islands in places when I verify it.

Now in this part, it won't be the end of the world because I want to cut all the way through, but nevertheless I would like to know how to fix this so that it doesn't happen when I don't want to cut through.

Here's the .mcx file.

Thanks for any help.

What tool paths are you using? In other words, what machining methods are you using to cut this part?

Just regular pockets with any of the cutting methods included with mastercamx, ie zigzag, spiral, constant overlap spiral etc. with just one of the generic 3axis vmc mills mastercam comes with.

Does that answer your question? Sorry.

Yes it does....

Reason why I asked, is that it seemed you were using a profile toolpath to cut the pockets where you had the islands.

If I get sometime, i will try to look at your mcx file and see waz up...you are using mastercam x2?

I downloaded your file and it looks like your finish pass spacing is to large. I reduced it and it works fine now.

Thanks a lot rickyt.

try the parallel spiral clean corners. i don't use it much but it should work. i would also play with the stepovers a little more. with the sharper corners you might need to change stepover to 30 or 40%. also try zigzag instead of parallel. it is usually very dependable in these situations.

I sometimes have when I verify, that it leaves small islands, and then I post and cut the part I don't see the islands that I saw on verify. Is this a quirk of mastercam? It does not happen all the time. And I have played with all the other things you all have spoken about...

9lrac9