584,874 active members*
5,364 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > oneCNC vs. Mastercam

oneCNC vs. Mastercam

It someone tell me which is better: OneCNC or Mastercam and the reasons why. I would hate to invest lots of time to find out another program works better.

Thanks,

We have Onecnc and Mastercam. We have had Mastercam first for about 3 years. Two years ago we changed over to Solidworks for all the design from Autocad. We do a lot of intricate 3D tools and to use Mastercam alongside Solidworks is dreadful. Solidworks is true windows fresh and easy to use Mastercam is DOS and like stepping back in time. Going from windows to DOS type software in 2003 is a non event when you have to get the job done. We purchased Onecncxp expert a couple of months ago because we needed another seat of cam and have found that Onecnc is nothing short of brilliant. Firstly it is very much like Solidworks and secondly it is so easy to use. We bought it for less than half the cost of Mastercam also but already the output is so great that we are not using the Mastercam anymore. We only now use it to load old files for modifications. The settings, viewing, verification, machining functions and translators are all better in Onecnc as far as we are concerned. Infact a lot of the functionality is the same as Solidworks and it is almost seamless. If Mastercam had been a windows program we may have stayed with it but now that we have Onecnc we are pleased we went that way. This is only our opinion but I hope this helps.

That's very subjective. Ask a hundred people and you'll get a hundred answers. It depends alot on what you are wanting it to do. I used a number of CAM systems over the years and there were good and bad to all of them. But once you get familiar with one, you can make it do almost anything you need it to do. I am using MasterCam now. It is not the best CAM program I have used but it's pretty darn good. The more I use it and the more features I learn to use, the more I like it. I've not used OneCNC but from some of the posts here it seems to have a loyal following.

If you haven't invested in anything yet, maybe you should look at some of the other packages as well. One of them may be more suited to your needs, again depending on what you want it to do. A friend of mine has been using EdgeCam for a year or two and he swears by it. From what I've seen of it ( and my limited hands-on time with it), I think I could get to like it alot.

Modern Machine Shop magazine has an online CAD/CAM selector that helps you narrow down your choices based on your criteria. http://www.mmsonline.com/cadcam/cad_selector.html

There is also a good article that explains the differences between a Geometry-Based and a Process-Based CAM system. Understanding these differences may help influence your decision as well. Read it here: http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/040302.html

I truly think that you should call both dealers and have them come show you the software say on one of your parts.

As for the windows Dos thought mastercam will be making the new leap on the new Version X.

I do not know enough about Onecnc to give a good opinon but I do know what MC can do.

Here is a thought what kind of shop are you do you do aerospace,production,2D ,3d,molds?

Do you 4th and 5 axis. this can make a diffrence.
    As for me I do them all and my software has never let me down...

But really have them both come show you what they can do and if you have a file let them use that one to see how it works with it.

JM2C
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Originally posted by cadcam
    I truly think that you should call both dealers and have them come show you the software say on one of your parts.

As for the windows Dos thought mastercam will be making the new leap on the new Version X.

I do not know enough about Onecnc to give a good opinon but I do know what MC can do.

Here is a thought what kind of shop are you do you do aerospace,production,2D ,3d,molds?

Do you 4th and 5 axis. this can make a diffrence.
    As for me I do them all and my software has never let me down...

But really have them both come show you what they can do and if you have a file let them use that one to see how it works with it.

JM2C
    Ditto

Cool links e-stop

e-stop I also went and checked out those links and I like them. I am going to check them out more.

My thought on the different softwares, I agree with cadcam you should look into both. Everyone opinions on the different softwares is just like talking about pollitics. Those links are a very good start.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Mastercam vs Onecnc

This information is a little out dated. It shouldn't even be on this forum.

Does anyone have any current comparisons of the two programs ? (Oct. 2005)
    Personally I have tried Mastercam V9 and I am not impressed. Too unfriendly. I would be interested in what people have to say about Version X

Well I'm glad I'm not the one responsible for digging this up!

OneCNCXP then OneCNCXR, now OneCNC XR2 is on release.

XR2 has the coolest 4th and 5th axis modules. They went to the EMO show in Europe and demoed it, on user files!. People were astounded by the simplicity of use. And it is really easy to use, even for a new user to sit down and experiment a bit, and he's off and running.

The modelling functions have come a long way since XP, too. If you are in the market for cadcam, its worth your while to demo XR2, and compare what you see with any other cadcam out there. XR2 has also significantly improved in solid and surface modelling functions: work on any plane, extrude and cut bosses and holes (tapered or straight), starting from 2d outlines. Even more advanced surface filleting than before.

And, you still don't have to pay any middleman, nor pay any royalties on translators nor verification utilities nor DNC utilities. Its all in the package, its all genuine OneCNC. You don't need to attend a workshop to learn how to use it, and their support forum contains lots of ready help and information from the questions of 2 years worth of users already. As time goes on, the actual number of new questions has declined I think, due to the developer's response to user difficulties. Because the whole program is coordinated under one developer, it all works together. And its still 100% windows (has been from the ground up in the X series) and is ready for 64bit.

XR2 also has a new "Trace image" function to help you import and trace images in preparation for engraving.

To give an example of how the developer listens, one problem users were having with their machines was the fact that at high feedrates, the machines would leave a little bit of a blip on a milled profile, where the tool ramped on and off the profile. Even though OneCNC's math was perfect, machine performance was lacking, so they added in a user specified overlap value, to allow the tool to easily kill off that hump in the profile.

There is a lot to be excited about in XR2. The machining routines are almost unchanged from XR, except for the major advancement in applying them to 4th and 5th axis operations. And the post modifications are still as easy as ever, even for these advanced modules.

I'll stop now and let the MasterCam X'ers have a turn
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

I own MC 9.1, X level 3 SP1, solids and art, and Onecnc XR2 expert. I use CAD/CAM for 2-3 and 4 axis, no 5 axis stuff yet.

They are both very good pieces of software, really.

If I had to choose only one, Onecnc XR2 hands down.

Before someone yells shill, or reseller, I'll have you know I'm a hobby guy only, no business to support, and I have no connection at all to either company.

Onecnc now has the most user friendly 3-4-5 axis software on the planet. As an example I'll tell you I struggled with 4 axis in MC for several months configuring a post, making axis mistakes (arrows pointing the wrong direction on index etc) and working with that confounding WCS (hardmill tutorial appreciated)

When I got XR2 it took me one afternoon untill I was making g code on the same file.

It is totally intuative with Onecnc, pick a face, choose the machine cycle, press go. It's that simple.

The verify and backplot in Onecnc just smoke MC. I've had several occasions where a gouge did not show in MC verify, so many times I went and bought a 3d party verify.

I've never run Onecnc code through that program (MC utilities 4 axis), no need to. After hundreds of one off programs from Onecnc, I've NEVER had something happen I did not expect. That is a big statement, no doubt, but totally true.

Onecnc does not have yearly fees, free tech support. Online forum help? Hands down Onecnc. No big egos to run you off the road, just fast help when you need it. Need a post? With Onecnc just post the request, solved.

MC? Contact your reseller, get a stock post, if he can't help you configure it post the question on the MC forum and see how far you get.

I've gotten lots of help configuring my MC post from the forum, it is a painful process, adjust post, run code, new problem, new question, back to the forum, but they (forum post gurus) will help. They will not give you a post however.

Onecnc is solid easy to use, powerful CAD/CAM. For the "full" version it is less than HALF the price of MC.

Keep getting opinions, don't take mine as gospel. There are lots of opinions out there.

I think however you will see a trend.

Wow I am thinking this must be the hottest tip out there. But I never see the software any Place but Westec and this last one was the first time I have ever seen them.

So no training needed or support that is great.

So Nervis1 you went out and bought Mastercam and Onecnc for a hobby that is cool.
    One hell of a hobby.

Bottom line I think they both have there place and I am for sure Bios of Mastercam.
    But I truly would go back to my statement have both Dealers do a demo with the kind of work you do.

How easy is it to get training and support when needed these are important for any software’s.

Mastercam can for sure do all what I have read here.

I can safely say I do not know about oneCNC as they never show up in my part of the state except for the show. But if it is as easy and as good as you guys are saying should see it some were soon.

Have fun but really be picky and try both to see what works best for you.
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Actually bought Bobcad, then Onecnc, then Mastercam 9.0 for the multiaxis, then back to Onecnc when they came out with multiaxis in XR2. I also have Gibbs loaded on my Fadal machine but I never use it.

I stay current with MC, big investment, might as well keep it at this point. I love getting new versions of software anyway, it's like christmas isn't it? I really like some of the tool paths in MC for 2.5d work, and the fact I can bring in the solid history tree from solidworks. 3d, truth be told I can do in Onecnc in 3-4 min what may take me an hour or more in MC. A lot of that just comes down to knowing the software I'm sure. A guy whos been using MC for ten yrs might be able to speed it up but I can't yet.

Agree with CADCAM you can't go wrong getting demos from every consideration, be picky it's a big investment in time and money.

CADCAM You have helped me a couple of times on the MC forum with post problems, thanks for that.

I feel that MCX is light years beyond V9.1, and mr2 has came out and add alot of new cool features. Yes I own MC and I have used is it for years. I was really looking hard at OneCnc but I went with the one that I am use to, so their was no learning curve. I opened my own shop and was looking at other cam setups, but I was afraid of the learning curve of a new cam system. Learning a new software was the last thing I needed when starting my own company, I needed instant production. Although OneCnc was my second choice, I my end up buying it anyway, it may do some things easier than MC, it never hurts to try, hey its only money right.

This is a good thread. I have MastercamX Router Level 1 MR2. I have been racking my head about what to do. We are adding a 4th axis to our Thermwood cnc router and I want to start using the router to carve guitar bodies and furniture parts. But I'm finding that I will probably have to upgrade from Router Level 1 to Router Level 3 plus add Solids to be able to machine surfaces like those found on an electric guitar.

That's a big chunk of change. I have ran the gauntlet from looking at Rhino3d with Deskproto, Rhino3d with Madcam etc. The problem is that I'm used to Mastercam X's interface. I can't seem to get a grip on Rhino3d. Plus, when you look at how you place geometry in order to be machined on the cnc, it's much easier in Mastercam. Or at least, I know what I'm doing there.

OneCNC has sent me their pricing for their products. But now, I'd be faced with re-learning a new cad system. How does it compare to Mastercam Router? Mastercam Router has nesting (not advanced nesting), MDF door wizards, Stair runner wizards and pretty decent tool strategies. But getting to the place where I can machine surfaces, that's where I hit the wall. Any suggestions? Advice? I asked Mastercam if I could sell my seat since it's not really working for what I need now but I haven't rec'd a straight yes or no answer. And I have to admit, I hate those yearly maintenance fees!

Thanks for listening,

Chris

MC update

Chris to do the work you need you do not have to add solids and you need at least router Pro to do multisurface.

The cost is no more then you tring to by a new seat of ONEcnc.
    Have you talked with your dealer about this?

I design electric guitar for local customer here were i live and we use mc to cut them.
    Cadcam

Hey you guys, look for my thread about the "challenge for all" and lets see some of you
    guys program the sample block.... It might help you guys to time this process and help
    determine how different programs handle it??

Cadcam, I have talked to my MC reseller. They are very good people to deal with. I asked him to work up some numbers for me. I remember that back when I was purchasing my cnc that Router Pro was quoted at like $24k. I've gone back through and looked through my emails but can't find it.

Anyway, they told me that they would work with me on the price and allow me a 30 day trial to see how it works. I have gone through the data on MC's website about the differences between Router and Router Pro. I thought that originally, with Router Pro you got the true shape nesting and other features besides a enabling a few surface toolpaths.

About the solids module. Do you feel it makes it 'easier' to program parts like this? What's the advantages vs. disadvantages of having the solids module? I know the one disadvantage would be the exta $1k. Feel free to email me, I'd really like to talk more.

Thanks,

Chris Robinson
    [email protected]