585,712 active members*
3,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Are any of these milling machines recommended to buy?

Are any of these milling machines recommended to buy?

Hello!

I want to buy a small CNC-milling machine to do some milling in aluminium and probably a little bit in steel. I have found two different used machines and want to hear with you who are experts, regarding what you think about these machines.

WMD20LV:

This have a sign with HBM-Machines, but I do not cannot find anything about exactly this brand. This machine has a "MX Business" controller board, which I do not now much about either. Working dimension is 430 mm in X, 135 mm in T and 300 in Z. This is the link to the machine. (Norwegian site, but with pictures)

Denford Triac:

Denford with Gecko 540, and with a spindle with 2800 rpm and fog lubrication. Working dimension is 300 mm in X, 200 mm in Y and 235 mm in X. Her is the link to this machine. (Norwegian site, but with pictures)¨

What is you opininon on these machines?

Re: Are any of these milling machines recommended to buy?

I would go with the WMD20 if it was me. Nice big table. It appears to be a G0704 clone. Probably all made by the same people.
    I'm not sure the controller board will make a difference. Mach 4 is installed, and I really like the Mach 4 software.
    The learning curve is a bit higher for it than some, but it will do anything and everything you would ever want to do.
    http://www.heavymetalcnc.com

Thank you! I appreciate your answer.

A bit weird.
    The WMD20 says MT2 taper on the machine (not great) but then there's a R8 face mill on the shelf?.
    Wouldn't fancy using one of those on a 600w machine. (and has he bought the wrong one which is why it looks unused?)
    Y travel of 135mm seems a little short to me. No where near a G0704. This WMD must be the next size down.

Mine is a 25 which is G0704 size with R8.

Thank you for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    The WMD20 says MT2 taper on the machine (not great) but then there's a R8 face mill on the shelf?.
    That is a good observation, thank you. I am not an expert, so I am not used to see things like that. The seller has almost never used the machine and do not have much clue about the machine and vertical milling machines in general. I have to ask him if he can check or if he can take some more pictures.

Do you think it is not worth buying if it is MT2 Taper?

Quote Originally Posted by Alek9517 View Post
    Do you think it is not worth buying if it is MT2 Taper?
    MT2 is not ideal, but the price is not too bad, I think. Depends a bit what you want to use it for. Looks like he has a MT2-ER25 collet holder. I think MT2 is too small to use TTS system.

Seems the seller is located not far from me. To bad I'm a few thousand km away at work, or I could have looked at it.

The spindle is probably a fairly easy swap to either the PM25 spindle or the G0704 spindle, both of which are R8. But you'll have to order the parts and tear a new-ish machine apart to do the swap, which in my opinion means the price better be really right. That in mind, $3k USD doesn't' seem like a bad deal at all for that, considering it's complete.

That said, the gear driven spindle is less than ideal for CNC operation IMO. So when that belt drive conversion happens a change to the R8 spindle is a pretty easy thing to do.

That WMD is WAY overpriced and is a DRILLING machine not a MILL. That is a standard AliExpress machine available for less than half the price NEW. You should be paying no more than $1600 Shipped for that NEW (24000kr is $2600). All these small machines are produced in China and rebranded. The WBM18VL has a 750W motor and only costs $1020 and $400-450 shipping depending on which seller and where you live saving you ~$800 over the USED one you posted. Make sure you get the seller to take care of shipping and customs because arranging your own customs papers is a pain in the ass. I would recommend looking for a ZX50 with the cnc option. The motors are much beefier and not small steppers. There is a smaller version aswell, the.ZX7045B1 that is around the same as the WMD20 size wise but better features and more power.

ZX50C 2.2KW <$2000
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/7512...ou_589600712.0

Shopping on aliexpress is perfectly safe and will save you a ton of money. Look for a high rating seller >4.8 with lots of reviews and you have nothing to worry about. Out of over 100 orders I have only ever had 2 problems and neither time was it the sellers fault but they still gave me my money back and let me keep the damaged (but usable) goods. I have lower success rates with German stores and western corporations

It looks exactly like a G0704..

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...th-stand/g0704

They mill just fine. That the one OP posted comes complete, is already converted, and it comes with a control, that means it's worth a good bit more than just a manually operated machine.

I got a good laugh out of the ZX50C, $1700 for mill, $5000 for shipping. That doesn't seem worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    It looks exactly like a G0704..

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...th-stand/g0704

They mill just fine. That the one OP posted comes complete, is already converted, and it comes with a control, that means it's worth a good bit more than just a manually operated machine.

I got a good laugh out of the ZX50C, $1700 for mill, $5000 for shipping. That doesn't seem worth it.
    The WMD20 the op looking at is the next size down. With the MT2 taper and 600w motor. nowhere near as good as the 704.

Must admit.... I read the shipping as 401.00. I didn't see the 5,xxx.xx at the beginning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by excitedbox View Post
    That WMD is WAY overpriced and is a DRILLING machine not a MILL. That is a standard AliExpress machine available for less than half the price NEW. You should be paying no more than $1600 Shipped for that NEW (24000kr is $2600). All these small machines are produced in China and rebranded. The WBM18VL has a 750W motor and only costs $1020 and $400-450 shipping depending on which seller and where you live saving you ~$800 over the USED one you posted.
    You forget one thing (I think, without looking at AliExpress), you need to add 25% VAT on top of the paid price (purchase price plus shipping) and possible brokerage fee on top of that again. Last time I purchased anything on AliExpress, they didn't collect VAT which they are now required to do for purchases from Norway.