584,846 active members*
4,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

help please :)

ok i'm not sure if this a motor driver issue or a software set up issue or the guy wiring it all up lol, namely me....

i have nema 24 closed loop stepper motors which came with the CL57Y drivers, the wiring of the motors is shown on the paperwork which came with the motors, so i'm guessing that is wired fine. the software i am using is UCCNC through a UC400ETH motion controller, into a breakout board.

the UC400 is via ETHERNET cable and a dedicated power supply, the BOB gets power from a USB cable. at present the motor is in a locked state so i guess it has power at least. the BOB has LED's which show power when driven, and do light up in co-ordination with the pin settings in the UCCNC configuration tab. at present the motor does not turn it is just locked, i have a wire to the ENABLE connector on the driver.

the software has a license and is running out of demo mode, when i jog the motor i can see the display show movement but the motor stays locked

any ideas or help would be great

thanks neil

Re: help please :)

What voltage power supply are you using to the driver power input?
    Do you definately have the ports/pins correct in uccnc?

36v power supplies for the drivers, I am only wiring 1 motor at a time, so there is only 1 driver powered up. yes I have tried switching wires and also tried switching port pins in uccnc

thanks neil

hopefully these pics will help, is there something i am not seeing?

thanks neil

Quote Originally Posted by neilb View Post
    hopefully these pics will help, is there something i am not seeing?

thanks neil
    Wiring looks all wrong to me.
    Driver is disabled afaic.
    So. Your bord messes with my head a bit with all the jumpers so I'll try to help best I can. I can't give specific jumper positions but may be able to lead you in the right ish direction.

Option 1: (the typical way I see for active low). Common cathode I believe.
    With the board jumpers setup as follows:
    pins 2-9= outputs
    vcom out = 5V+
    --------Set up 2-9 polarity as 0V-------
    Wire it all up as:
    P2 = PU-
    P3 = DR-
    VCOM (+5v) = all these wired in parallel PU+/DR+/MF+
    MF is enable so wire the - terminal to an output (say pin 14 for example) and add P14 to enable pin in uccnc.

Option 2: Common Anode I belive.
    With the board jumpers setup as follows:
    pins 2-9= outputs
    vcom out = 0V
    --------Set up 2-9 polarity as +5V-------
    Wire it all up as:
    P2 = PU+
    P3 = DR+
    VCOM (0V/GND) = all these wired in parallel PU-/DR-/MF-
    MF is enable so wire the + terminal to an output (say pin 14 for example) and add P14 to enable pin in uccnc.

Need then the figure out if you need to put uccnc as active low or active high.

(1:cathode/2:anode could even be the other way round but the wiring stays as mentioned)

NOTE: THERE LOOKS TO BE AN ENABLE JUMPER TOO! Make sure this is set correctly relevant to option 1 or 2. I don't know if this could short the board if set incorrectly to whichever way VCOM is positioned.

thanks daz i will have a play tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by neilb View Post
    thanks daz i will have a play tomorrow

Here's kind of a visual.
    This is a standard driver connected to the Y axis of a board that is factory configured as wiring option 1 with pins 2-9 as output only.
    The wiring principal is always the same. Even my big spindle servo is the same.
    From the top.
    P4 = PUL- / PU- (step)
    P5 = DIR- / DR- (direction)
    P14 = ENA- / MF- (enable)
    Second from bottom is +5V output (in your case VCOM as 5v+) which is connected to the other 3, PUL+ / DIR+ / ENA+.
    Main difference is there's only 1 vcom on this board whereas yours has a vcom for each driver.

If it was wired as option 2 the negatives and positives would switch places.
    Image:

https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...d=462856&stc=1

This is the same as the board I use. I could also use the little white plugs instead of the screw pins. They all have individual PU,DR,EN,+5. The right side pins are all 5v+(or vcom) the other 3 on all are negatives. So I too can have seperate vcom.

thanks daz and thank you Peter homann if you are reading, changing the jp3 jumper to zero v, then changing the wires back has worked a treat

thanks again guys

OK, I'm in the same boat. Only B axis is doing the same as you described. all other 4 axis working good. since its been awhile since your post, I'm just inquiring if and how you resolved the problem. (numbers run on screen, motor locked up, but no movement, all other axis work fine) (using uccnc 100, same BOB as you are using. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CAD226B View Post
    OK, I'm in the same boat. Only B axis is doing the same as you described. all other 4 axis working good. since its been awhile since your post, I'm just inquiring if and how you resolved the problem. (numbers run on screen, motor locked up, but no movement, all other axis work fine) (using uccnc 100, same BOB as you are using. thanks!
    Which bob?
    The blue relay one?.
    Could be the jumper for P17 is set for relay and not axis.
    You can either run the relay or have a 5th axis. Can't use both at same time.