584,860 active members*
4,945 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Hybrid View

Anilam 3 axis Mill Y axis Lag over Max

Hi All

I have acquired a old Mill with a Anilam 3000M conversion in it with Indramat 3TRM 2 servo control. I have reconnected all the computer all that seams to work. The problem is when I reset the servo motors all 3 of them turn a little then they trip out and get an error message is Y axis over Lag Max, this seams to be a random thing as to whether it is X , Y or Z axis. I get it every time. The previous people said the hard drive and the back up hard drive should still have all the settings on them from when they used it as a CNC mill. The position of the table is correct in the DRO and is reading correctly when manually moved. I have removed the drive belts from the servos but this made no difference checked all fuses etc that I can find. I have all the Anilam manuals but not the indramat manual but don't understand much of it. What should I be looking at checking? And in the settings should it have an Home position, software limits and vector limits programed.
    I know it is an old machine and i have been told to throw it away and just buy one that works but its not a production machine and I bought what I could afford. I just need to sort it out now.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Mark

Re: Anilam 3 axis Mill Y axis Lag over Max

Quote Originally Posted by markems0 View Post
    The position of the table is correct in the DRO and is reading correctly when manually moved. I have removed the drive belts from the servos
    ...the belts may have to on for Encoder feedback to work, depending on where and what they are on each axis of your machine.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi
    Thanks

Encoders are on the end of the motors so still working with belts off. Will look at the manual.
    Thanks

Hi All
    I have reconnected all the computer all that seams to work.

I know it is an old machine and i have been told to throw it away and just buy one that works but its not a production machine and I bought what I could afford. I just need to sort it out now.

Many thanks for the help in advance.

Mark

How much reconnection did you have to do? It could be that the encoders and/or tachs and motors are running in opposite directions, that would cause a nearly instant lag error. The randomness may just be from which drive faults first and shuts everything down as it should.

Here is a link to the Indramat manual https://www.docdroid.net/qwMiB7x/3trm2-manual-pdf

I wouldn't throw the machine away, but a controls upgrade might be worth looking at. The motors and drives could be used with new controls.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Here is a link to the Indramat manual https://www.docdroid.net/qwMiB7x/3trm2-manual-pdf

I wouldn't throw the machine away, but a controls upgrade might be worth looking at. The motors and drives could be used with new controls.
    ...thank Jim for the manual Right to Repair

Hi
    I only had to reconnect the computer, all the servo drives and motors were connected. The DSP board is in the computer box though. Looking at the manual do I need a test board to check and balance set the motors?

I only had to reconnect the computer, all the servo drives and motors were connected. The DSP board is in the computer box though.
    ...double checking wiring/cables for Axis feedback may need a second look, just to be sure.

If, you can test each Axis in Jog mode before reset....try using .0001" and step each Axis to see if or when they Lag error out. May help narrow down which Axis

Quote Originally Posted by machinehop5 View Post
    ...double checking wiring/cables for Axis feedback may need a second look, just to be sure.

If, you can test each Axis in Jog mode before reset....try using .0001" and step each Axis to see if or when they Lag error out. May help narrow down which Axis
    Hi I will have another look at the wiring. I cannot check the drives in jog mode because as soon as I reset the servos all 3 of them set off run for 2 seconds then trip. With x,Y or z lag over max. I only have 13.8 v on the test pins on the DSP board. Am I right in saying the small axis adjuster pots are to bring the volts down to 0v. Dose the axis feedback come from the taco or the encoder.

Dose the axis feedback come from the taco or the encoder.
    Tach velocity feedback goes to the Intramat Servo Amp and the Encoder position feedback goes to the Anilam controller.

Am I right in saying the small axis adjuster pots are to bring the volts down to 0v.
    Looking in the Anilam pdf on Pages 9-10...I would say yes. But, you have an Intramat Servo Amp so, this may not apply.

snip
    Press Balance (F6) to output a zero voltage signal to the axis.
    Press START.
    Refer to Figure 5. Make adjustments for axis outputs 0–3 on the DSP2 Board at potentiometers R108-R111 respectively.
    Adjust the potentiometer for the selected axis until the voltage across the pins is 0 VDC (± 0.001V).
    Press MANUAL (F4) to cancel the test.
    endsnip

...There are Pots on the Intramat Amp's pdf for zero drift I see. Chapter 3.3.2 ZERO SPEED-ADJUSTMENT

Hi
    Thanks for the info I tried that balance procedure on the x axis but can only get it down to 2.52 volts at E101. What else can i do? I am now lost.

Been some time since i was last here, but. I have taken the controller apart and cleaned everything, reassembled and now it seams to be working. When I reset the servo motors they move a little and then hold still apart from the x axis which slowly moves back and forth about 10 deg. I can now jog, feed and inch as it should. I have no idea what it was that was wrong. I have tried balancing the motors but cannot. the X axis gives a reading of +1250 and moves to the left. Using the trimming pot dose not make it any lower. any ideas or could it just be that there is a fault in it that is worth the money repairing.
    Dose anyone know of anywhere that I could try for a sensible repair cost?
    Thanks

To get the motors to run properly under computer control there four things that must be properly connected. 1) the armature wires (motor power), 2) the tach feedback to the drive, 3) the encoder connection to the computer, and 4) the +/- 10V analog command signal to the drive. They all have to be in agreement as to direction. Since the motor connections to the drives were undisturbed, then most likely the armature and tach feedback are correctly connected. So that leaves the encoder and analog connections to the computer.

You noted that when moving the axes manually the DRO seems correct.

Just as a quick encoder check when standing in front of the machine:
    X axis, table moving to the left, X DRO should be counting in the positive direction
    Y axis, table moving away from you, Y DRO should be counting in the negative direction.
    Z axis, quill moving down, Z DRO should be counting in the negative direction.

If encoders are all correct, then are the analog signals from the computer connected to the correct drive? And with the correct polarity?

I don't think you need a test board at this point.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi

Thanks for the information. I have checked the directions for XY and Z they are as you said. I have a small video of what it is doing if it helps. Where would you check the taco and 10v signal
    Thanks. Mark

From the Indramat manual, it looks like the +/- 10V analog signal is connected to E101 and E102 and the tach is connected to E103 and 0V

The exact polarity of the connections may be in the Analim manual.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi

I checked the voltage today. The Taco is connected to E101 and 0V I got a reading of 2.74 V dc for E101 2.74 V dc for E201 and 2.76 V dc for E301. Between E103 and 0V i get 00.0 V on all 3 axis. Should i be getting 10V there?

Hi
    Sorry it is the Taco that is on E103 etc not +/-10V
    So E101 and 0 Vdc I get 2.74v E201 is 2.74v and E301 is 2.76v dc should these be 10v ? These go back to the computer and it is .01 v more on all axis cumming out of the computer.
    Taco E103 is 00.0v that is the same for all 3 axis. I do get a reading on this when i manually move the axis but not a steady reading it jumps allover I presume it is a pulse not a steady volt reading I will have to dig out my oscilloscope and see if it still works it is only a small hand held one but may do the job.
    Thanks
    Mark

Also today noticed that on the back of the board that to computer and DSC plugs into are 4 LED's only 3 are lit up D3 is out.

According to the drawings the taco should be connected to E103 and 0V, the Analog command signal should be connected to E101 and E102 or possibly E101 and 0V.

With the motor not turning there should be 0V across the taco inputs. And if wired correctly I would expect near 0V on the analog lines. As you rotate the motor the taco should start generating a voltage proportional to the speed of rotation, normally about 7V per 1000 RPM.

In both cases above, the polarity must be correct for the system to work.

I have no idea what the LEDs mean.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi
    I have been reading the manual and the LED's on the back board are to show the 12v and 5v + & - are working. the 3rd LED represents the 5v- which is not used so should not be lit. So they are correct. Just reading the indramat manual to see how I make the Volts across E101 and 0V to be 0V and not the 2.74 that I have.
    Mark

Page 1 of 2 12