585,687 active members*
4,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Canada - Studica or Tormach ? CSA ?

Canada - Studica or Tormach ? CSA ?

Hi !

I want to buy a pcnc440, im in Canada. (Quebec)

Im wondering if i should go with the distributor Studica or directly with Tormach. I think its cheaper with Tormach but i have to use a broker service so at the end i dont really know, is that expensive ? and for Canadian here, how much tormach charge you for the shipping approx ?

Studica charge me 1800$CAD for shipping and 1k for the CSA certification. I want to use it for personnal use, is the CSA is obligatory ?

Thanks you guys!! Im a little bit lost

Re: Canada - Studica or Tormach ? CSA ?

If you are willing to consider a used machine there was one listed on the Nova Scotia Kijiji last week. It's probably still there. The website is down right now so I can't verify if it is still available or not.

Never mind looks like it has been sold.

I looked at both and purchased direct from Tormach FWIW. The price was better and I didn't see any value add from the reseller.

Quote Originally Posted by Srlake View Post
    I looked at both and purchased direct from Tormach FWIW. The price was better and I didn't see any value add from the reseller.

Hey! I bought my 440 directly from Tormach too. Better price, better customer service. I was decided to go with Studica, they tell me to make a Interac transfert so i go to my bank and they told me any bank will not do more than 5k$ with Interac transfer. So i ask him the bank account info for direct deposit, and they told me to make a check and send him via CanadaPost ahah i was wtf, i told him a want to make a direct deposit (com'n we are in 2021) and it take 3 days before receving the information to make the tranfert. This 3 days my pcnc440 was bought via Tormach without any problem, fast and easy. That include the time for receving my submission, payment, etc. So yeah, Canadians, go Tormach. And it's cheaper. By cheaper, i means, including the customs broker, i was able to buy 2k of tooling more.

The ONLY value add with Studica is to NOT deal with a broker. It was my first time but it was very easy.

Here's a link to a perhaps helpful discussion:
    https://forums.redflagdeals.com/elec...ntario-828339/

The discussion is interesting. One comment noted that Ontario Hydro forbids powering anything not CSA approved with their electrons....

I just bought another and my brokerage fees were roughly $270 plus the inevitable taxes . Some brokers are terrible but the good ones make it seamless . A few filled in forms and a credit card is all that is needed . Once signed up then you give the broker's info to tormach and then sit back a wait for the truck to show up

The base 440 mill alone I was quoted just under $10,500CAD shipped from Studica . Through tormach the base mill plus chip tray totaled roughly 8000CAD after shipping , brokerage and taxes