585,578 active members*
3,796 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

easy release double sided tape

Hi All,

I know this isn't really a Tormach related question, but I also know there are some smart folks here with wide experience in other areas.

I am trying to find a source of double sided tape that is easy to remove without damaging fragile materials. I'm thinking something that barely sticks, sort of like a post-it note, but double sided. Most of the tapes I'm found that say they are removable then say in the next sentence that they stick like crazy.

In case anyone is wondering, this isn't for milling, but for laser engraving very light stock, such as AL business cards that are only 0.2mm thick.

Thanks Terry

Re: easy release double sided tape

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thermal release tape but I don't know if it's available double sided

I use some carpet tape when milling thin parts, found that soaking it with varsol for awhile breaks the bond and it will let go fairly easy. (need to use the stuff with the cloth inside, the other thin stuff just becomes a mess)
    M

3M sells all manner of adhesive tapes and their phone tech support is supposed to be very good.

Mitee-Bite sells some double-sided paper with a heat set and release:

https://www.miteebite.com/products/mitee-grip/

And there is Seklemat, which is intended to hold thin material for laser cutting or engraving:

https://www.jpplus.com/seklema-engra...ard%20movement.

Might this be an application for vacuum hold down? Not high pressure vacuum (20" HG), but fairly high CFM. I presume you're having to vent the laser anyway, is there a possibility of killing 2 birds with one stone?

Years ago I was aware of someone doing this with laser cutting veneer. The cuttings weren't particularly small, but veneer is difficult to hold securely and flat. They did it using vacuum. Just a thought.

How about spray adhesive they use for printing on fabric? I tried it on a mill and it did not work too well, but for laser engraving it should work.

Thanks guys, those are all good idea's. I'm going to give some of them a try. I'm really interested in the Seklemat, that would require essentially zero prep and setup. I suppose the only problem would be keeping it clean.

I'm using a fiber laser, mostly for metal, so there isn't a big problem with fume extraction unless you are engraving a coated/painted surface.

Thanks again
    Terry

The Seklemat is very interesting stuff. Another source of casketing/hold down material is;

https://allstaradhesives.com

Just for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Thanks guys, those are all good idea's. I'm going to give some of them a try. I'm really interested in the Seklemat, that would require essentially zero prep and setup. I suppose the only problem would be keeping it clean.

I'm using a fiber laser, mostly for metal, so there isn't a big problem with fume extraction unless you are engraving a coated/painted surface.

Thanks again
    Terry
    Btw, You'll want to avoid any tape that releases with heat (which is most of them) if you're fiber-lasering thin metal material. Parts can get pretty hot, especially steels unless you wait a long time between passes.

Thanks for the reminder, Shred, I was concerned about that.

I am going to try the tack spray first, since it's cheap, I've got a can on order now. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the Seklemat next.

Those AL business cards are so thin they will crease if you look at them to long. Lol

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Thanks for the reminder, Shred, I was concerned about that.

I am going to try the tack spray first, since it's cheap, I've got a can on order now. If that doesn't pan out I'll try the Seklemat next.

Those AL business cards are so thin they will crease if you look at them to long. Lol

Terry
    Vacuum tables are really nice if you need to do a whole lot of them, and they can be low-rent lash-ups on a laser versus a mill.. Frame-type fixtures can work with the pre-anodized cards you can hit really fast.

Yep, you are correct, but my problem is, it's almost always a one-off for me, so I am hoping for a solution that require minimum setup, or fixturing.
    Terry

I like the idea of spray adhesive for your application. I would use a subplate with grooves and then soak in acetone to release the part.

Hi MF - vacuum is your answer. Your vacuum cleaner would hold it down and you can make a removable vac clamp/bolster and then you don't have to clean the part or pay the piper for the adhesive... I'm sure it would be quicker and cleaner then the adhesive.. I use vac clamps for as many things as I can and all I do is one offs..Peter