584,846 active members*
4,361 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 750 Acramatic A2100 - All the gear, no idea

Arrow 750 Acramatic A2100 - All the gear, no idea

Hello CNC Zone, around about this time last year I wondered into your saloon asking advice on a nasty little CNC engraver and Mach 3. Well, I've taken a bit of a step up thanks to some crafty ebaying and a big dose of naivety and got my hands on a... well you already know because you read the title.
    I have overcome many hurdles (and spent a lot more money than if I had just bought that slightly more expensive one) so far but my latest one is proving difficult as I have feck all clue what I'm doing.

I am trying to upload G-code files generated from Fusion 360 (10 lines or so, nothing crazy), but not managing to get the control to find any files. I am using these two cables and an adapter between them to connect the machine to my PC, hence the length. After digging a bit deeper I think they might not be the right thing, but the technical information on the subject has me baffled.

https://www.thatcable.com/10m-25-way...pin-db25-d-sub

https://uk.farnell.com/ftdi/ut232r-5...-bf9f-00001000

I have a trial version of DNC4U and have not managed to complete the configuration setup and the PC is not receiving the file sent from the machine.
    I have the USB port the machines comes into labelled as COM1, baud rates match etc. and have also tried just using a USB stick.
    It appears the machine does not have the networking feature.

Thanks for any help, especially if it is explained so a five-year-old can understand.
    Burf

Re: Arrow 750 Acramatic A2100 - All the gear, no idea

...this may help ya

Attachment 463224

Hey @Machinehop5, thanks. I caught a glimpse of that earlier, but now it's saying invalid attachment...
    Any chance you could link again, please sir?
    Last edited by Burf86; 05-10-2021 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Burf86 View Post
    Hey @Machinehop5, thanks. I caught a glimpse of that earlier, but now it's saying invalid attachment...
    Any chance you could link again, please sir?
    ...look for PUBLICATION NO. 91203809--001 on Page 5-61 if, this Link works
    http://websystem.gismo.se/gismo/file...G%20MANUAL.pdf

Thanks!
    I've got all that set but still no luck.
    The manual there mentions the Hex line feed, maybe it's something to do with this?

...your Cable may need to be a Null Modem type..aka Crossover type
    https://www.showmecables.com/blog/po...E2%80%9D-cable

Adapter's are cheap
    https://www.google.com/search?client...d&q=null+modem

RS232 Tester might help you too.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...q=RS232+Tester

DJ

RS232 communication is extremely simple.....as long as you know what you are doing.

I'm assuming Machinehop5 posted the default setup for the A2100, which is a start, but isn't all that important to getting a working connection. The most important thing is to have both PC and machine setup with the same configuration, anything that doesn't match will cause a problem. Since most shops have a DNC setup for other controls in their shop, I usually set the A2100 up to match whatever the rest of the machines use.

But, even a proper configuration will not work if you don't have the proper cable. Your cable must have the correct pinout which will be different depending on whether you are going from 9-25, 9-9 or 25-25. A typical PC to CNC connection will be 9 pin at the PC and 25 pin at the CNC, but the A2100 can use 9 pin or 25 pin depending on where you plug it in. The 2 items in your links don't appear to be compatible without another adapter as one is for a USB to 9 pin Serial and the other is a 25 pin - 25 pin cable. Based on the items you indicated you purchased I'm assuming you would need a 9 pin (PC) to 25 pin (CNC) cable. IIRC the standard pinout for this cable is:
    1-8
    2-2
    3-3
    4-6
    5-7
    6-20
    7-5
    8-4
    9-22
    Many DNC cables also jumper signals for handshakes so you may see jumpers from .4-6 and 7-8 on the 9 pin or 4-5 and 6-20 on the 25 pin. Any adapter/switch box it goes through (i.e. connecting your 9 pin USB-serial adapter to a 25 pin cable) can affect what your final pinout will be so you must know what each one does.

The COM port you use on your PC will depend on what port you plug the USB-serial adapter into. Plugging it into a different port each time will require you to reconfigure the COM selection each time you plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Burf86 View Post
    Thanks!
    I've got all that set but still no luck.
    The manual there mentions the Hex line feed, maybe it's something to do with this?
    ...I would guess its your USB device is the problem. I was reading DNC4U website FAQ's and it reminded me of the problem using some brands of USB to Serial devices.

Please read more from link below about

"Q. Why isn't my USB to Serial adapter working? "
    https://www.dnc4u.com/pop_faq.php

If, your USB to Serial is working correctly double check which Com Port it was assigned. This must match your DNC4U setting. Look in your PC's Device Manager for the Comm Port Number.

Thanks for all the help guys, it was indeed the cable giving me trouble and I have now managed to send and receive files. Happy days!

For anyone in the future reading this. NULL MODEM!

My next hurdle is; the code I upload to the control still has all the hex included...?
    I haven't managed to get the wizard to complete in DNC4U. It says it receives the file from the control but doesn't finish translating it, just stuck there. I can just stop this and send and receive files just fine, but when I send, the control displays all the hex and whatnot.

...the Hex looking garbage is a good sign the cable/wiring might be working correctly and you have the Comm Port number for the USB is set right. but, you need to fine tune Baud rate, Flow Control,etc.

I downloaded DNC4U's free software to learn more about how it works (never to old to learn new tricks.. ) and discovered that the "DNC Wizard" you are talking about does not work seems like. It just hangs like you said. So, after looking around DNC4U program I discovered a place to Install a default A2100 CNC machine configuration.

Attachment 463560

You must now match/change the parameters on the CNC side to match the DNC4U's CommPort Properties

Attachment 463562

...just a hint when testing new RS232 connections from new machines/software is to always test by Transfer from the CNC Control to PC first to show how the Program is formatted from the CNC

Thank you Machinehop5, legend.

I actually got worse results when using the stock settings, they are different to the manual. So at least this confirms it is probably a settings thing.

As I typed out some questions there, I had a brain wave and have now managed to get a file upload just perfect. The manual was telling me that the End of Line sequence had to be (Hex 0D, 0A) and I had put this in the "end of block" setting in the DNC.

Just like everything, it's easy once you have figured out how. Thanks again for all the advice and help, man I love the internet.
    Last edited by Burf86; 05-14-2021 at 10:37 AM.

does your machine have a network adapter installed? much easier that way.