585,568 active members*
3,496 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > BP VMC 760/22 W/ DX32: Run on Single Phase? or RPC??

BP VMC 760/22 W/ DX32: Run on Single Phase? or RPC??

Hi all,
    Recently purchased a 1996 Bridgeport VMC 760-22 with a DX32 control. I had it delivered and shoe horned it into a two car garage.
    now its time to figure out how to power it . It has siemens drives.

1) is it possible to run this machine on 240V single phase?? if yes, what would it take to do it?

2) i have a 20 HP 3 PH motor laying around i could build a RPC with it and balance with capacitor banks. Do you think it would safely run on this?

I didn't spend a lot of money on this machine and would like to avoid spending thousands on something like a phase perfect .

Re: BP VMC 760/22 W/ DX32: Run on Single Phase? or RPC??

...only things 3PH are the Spindle and coolant pump most likely. What Horsepower is the Spindle drive? Model number?

I think you are correct, however this unit is more complicated than Im used to, and I really don't want to fry anything. I will try to post pictures of the spindle and axis drives. I believe the spindle is 12 HP.
    The drive is a Siemens SIMODRIVE 611: written on it " SIMODRIVE E/R MODUL, INT. 16/21 KW, 6SN1145-1BA00-0BA0".
    Next to it is: "SIMODRIVE LT-MODUL, INT. 80A, 6SN1123-1AA00-0AA0

I do have the manuals so i should be able to supply some wiring diagrams if needed, there are many however and id have to find the right ones.

much thanks for responding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5542.jpg   IMG_5543.jpg   IMG_5541.jpg  

Yeah, looks like that one is going to need to run on 3 phase. The 20HP motor you have would work fine as a RPC for the machine. Just make sure you balances the phases well.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thank you for replying.
    How would you quantify "well Balanced"? The previous 5 HP RPC I made I followed the Fitch Williams design and instructions found online.
    Would that be sufficient?

I suppose my next question is which of the three legs on the machine should I hook the generated leg to?

much thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac25 View Post
    Thank you for replying.
    How would you quantify "well Balanced"? The previous 5 HP RPC I made I followed the Fitch Williams design and instructions found online.
    Would that be sufficient?

I suppose my next question is which of the three legs on the machine should I hook the generated leg to?

much thanks

The Fitch Williams design is good. I followed those guidelines when I built my RPC to run my CNC lathe. Just measure the leg to leg voltage under load and adjust the capacitance as needed. Mine normally runs +/- 1 volt leg to leg.

There is most likely some single phase in the panel, derived from 2 legs of the 3 phase. You would want to connect the generated leg to the line that is not connected to the single phase hardware.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA