584,802 active members*
4,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus Pro Computer Crash

Torus Pro Computer Crash

Hi - a few years ago I bought a used 2013 Torus Pro with Servos. The computer has been crashing a lot lately and may have finally died this week. I have a spare computer with Windows 7 and Mach3(registered to another user) already installed. I tried to hook this computer up today by swapping the Parallel,Serial and all USB ports. When I turned it on, the BOB (Rev 5.1) and the Servos (EP1) did not turn on. I am sure that the new computer will need to be configured to run the motors but I am not sure where to start. I see that Novakon has a few downloads on their website that may be of help here... "Torus Pro with BOB Rev5.x" but when I click them I get a page of gibberish. Any advise here? is there a way to get the necessary files/ settings from another person with a similar machine?

Re: Torus Pro Computer Crash

right click on the link and save as :
    save it to a spot on your computer then move the file to your mach folder

Thanks for your reply! Do you mean the link I referred to from Novakon website? So, I right click the "Torus Pro with BOB 5.x" and save that to my computer and then drag it into the C: Mach3 file?

yes the link on the novakon site .

Thanks again. I will try that first thing tomorrow.

don't forget to change profiles once you drag the xml file to mach

That helped but still some issues. 1 - the BOB, Servos and spindle drive still do not boot up when the new computer is turned on. After a closer inspection I see there is an additional connection between the old computer and the BOB. I was able to boot up the old computer as well and can now move the X,Y and Z axis using the arrow keys (The Parellell, Serial and USB plugs are all in the new computer). 2 - My jog pendant does not light up like it used to or move anything. 3 - I am not able to turn the spindle on. I tried changing the “Spindle Setup” and “Pulley Selection” tabs on Mach3 to match the settings shown in the Taurus Pro Manual but still no luck. Wondering if that last connection from the old computer may be the culprit?

if your old computer was mounted in the control panel , then one of the pc power supply connectors will have been connected to power the bob . I run a stepper setup with an external pc so I mounted an old pc supply in the control panel to power the bob .
    if you can get the old pc to boot then it's probably best to pull the xml file to a usb drive then transfer it to the new pc , that should have your new pc set up exactly as it should be

I have tried this but can’t get the old computer to fully boot up. It will still provide power to the BOB however as long as you don’t open programs. So spindle not working is most likely something in my Mach settings on new computer?

It's possible that the configuration file isn't right but it's hard to say . Have you tried a new power supply on your old computer . If it drops power to your bob when you try to open a program then it sounds like the ps is weak

I am finally back up and running with the new computer. I managed to get the old one to boot up long enough to take pics of all the configuration settings and then changed everything on the new computer to match. Excited to get back to making chips! Thanks again for your help

Nothing to add here; happy you got it up and running!