584,841 active members*
4,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > sourcing diy cnc hardware

sourcing diy cnc hardware

Hi all
    I have decided to build Kyo's sphinx cnc router for hobby woodworking and rc aircraft. The plates will be 3d printed and I think the electronics can be locally sourced for reasonable cost.

Being completely new to this game I'm turning to you experts for advice. I'm sure there will be more questions to follow but for now I need help with hardware like v groove wheels, lead screws linear rails, etc.

Ali Express and Bangood have such great prices compared to some U.S. or U.K. retailers, and they can supply everything, but how good is the quality? RC planes and small woodworking projects don't require super precision, but I can foresee in future using the machine to make itself aluminum plates for more rigidity and therefore higher precision. that would be when my cnc abilities grow and more challenging projects present themselves.

I'm not pinching pennies, but keeping costs down is important. So,I would really appreciate it if you could let me know if you think Chinese low cost parts are worth using.

Thanks alot
    Jake

Re: sourcing diy cnc hardware

Chinese factories can make good parts or bad ones, but if the only thing they need to do is hit a certain low price-point, quality control is going to be sacrificed. That said, your plastic parts are more likely to be the weak links in your machine than low-quality Chinese components.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Good things never come at a low cost. I would say Chinese is lower cost than others under the same product standard.

Hi Jake - Had good experiences with BST Automation and stepperonline... I'd use round rail before I use V wheels, most people upgrade to that along the line somewhere. Or use square rail better again...Peter

Another post from a member who doesn't include his location.Which makes it hard to give specific advice about where to look for parts as shipping from a good source on the other side of the world could easily wipe out any savings compared to buying somewhere more local and not paying shipping and customs administration charges.I admit to knowing nothing about a Kyo Sphinx machine,but seeing mention of V-groove wheels and 3D printed components gives me the feeling that cheap hardware won't be the limiting factor.

Hi,
    I am in general fairly scathing of Chinese manufacturers but that's not really fair or accurate.

The Chinese are very good at suppling what we want...and mostly we Westerners want 'Cheap', so they sell us cheap.
    What they can't do is make high quality AND cheap at the same time....no matter what we dreamers think.

I think then that you must try to estimate the 'adequate' quality component and buy that. The real difficulty is to know
    whether a Chinese made part is good or bad BEFORE you get it.

I have bought Delta servos from China and am very happy. Delta is a Taiwanese brand, which is well known and respected, but manufactured
    in China. The result is good quality and support at FAIR prices, certainly not the cheapest perhaps, but much cheaper than any Japanese, European, US
    made stuff. In this case I have used the knowledge of a good and respected brand to select Chinese manufactured product and have been very well
    rewarded, they are superb.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Jake - Had good experiences with BST Automation and stepperonline... I'd use round rail before I use V wheels, most people upgrade to that along the line somewhere. Or use square rail better again...Peter
    Stepperonline has both good and not so good components.
    Some of their motors for instance, have terrible inductance values.

Hi Dazp = Yes but you do have to know what to shop for. They do have a few 1.8mH motors and I'd expect that's what you would recommend. Plus run them at max voltage,,, Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi Dazp = Yes but you do have to know what to shop for. They do have a few 1.8mH motors and I'd expect that's what you would recommend. Plus run them at max voltage,,, Peter

Lol yeah, I wouldn't say exactly max. You want to leave some headroom in there.
    With open loop I wouldn't hesitate putting these on a medium size bench mill etc:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...archweb201603_
    They're prob better than their 4nm ones.
    But, you still have to pay the price for them.
    Couple them with:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299...archweb201603_
    And either 60Vdc psu or the equivelent size AC toroidal transformer.
    With nema34 size, bump it up to 80Vdc.

The higher the voltage, the faster your top velocity. (check your heat and adjust amperage accordingly).

I have a small mill (x2 size) on 36v and a medium mill (g0704 size) on 60v.
    Hate the small one, love the medium one.

I've learned many things by making big mistakes. I have various motors/ drivers and supplies lying around in boxes. There was even one (newbie) time where I bought a single axis kit..... I was so disgusted with it..... I threw the lot in the bin!!!! I could've sold it on but I would've felt bad, duping someone else.
    You can prob guess which type of kit.

Hi Dapz - Just picked that motor for a clients router. Haven't sorted PS or drivers yet. I like the 10mm shaft and big bearing. I looked up my prior machines motors and they were 3.8mH. Some have run on 24V some on 48V been happy with performance on both. 48V was with gecko G540, 24V was stepperonline drivers but they were Nema17's with gearboxes ... You only really learn from our boo boo's Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Zorbit View Post
    Having no headroom between the psu and drivers is a bad move.
    Back emf from an Estop routine will likely fry them.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Having no headroom between the psu and drivers is a bad move.
    Back emf from an Estop routine will likely fry them.
    I'd like to think that the manufacturers rate their products appropriately, but you could be right.