584,833 active members*
5,525 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Spindle making squeeking noise when vfd is on

Spindle making squeeking noise when vfd is on

Hello,

Watch the video. Spindle is making very uncomfortable sound as it ramps up to speed. All videos I have watched the spindle is much quieter. When I did hit stop and spindle coasts to stop its very quiet.

VFD is yaskawa v1000 and open loop vector control mode. I did set correct parameters for motor autotuning. If I switch control method to v/f the motor makes kind of cracking sound and dont move at all.

Any suggestions? Motor is turning in right direction. Is wiring sequence important in 3-phase motor? I mean if the motor spins correct direction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_8o7q1Uwrc

Best regards

Hautamak

Re: Spindle making squeeking noise when vfd is on

Quote Originally Posted by hautamak View Post
    Hello,

Watch the video. Spindle is making very uncomfortable sound as it ramps up to speed. All videos I have watched the spindle is much quieter. When I did hit stop and spindle coasts to stop its very quiet.

VFD is yaskawa v1000 and open loop vector control mode. I did set correct parameters for motor autotuning. If I switch control method to v/f the motor makes kind of cracking sound and dont move at all.

Any suggestions? Motor is turning in right direction. Is wiring sequence important in 3-phase motor? I mean if the motor spins correct direction?

Best regards

Hautamak
    First the VFD Drive has to be set with the correct Parameters to suit your motor specs failing to do this will end up with a damaged spindle motor

Auto tuning can not be performed before you have set all the main Parameter's related to your spindle
    Mactec54

Hello,

I have VFD set correct parameters (power, voltage, current, frequency, poles) and then when I start autotune it whines couple times and then motor start spinning and suddenly it stops (making bad sound) and autotune says error 08, Rated slip error.(wrong data input, autotuning exceeded the given time frame, or calculated values out of range.)

I have read the manual and tried to search where I put all these motor information, but just cant seem to find. ( cos, n-value, serve s=1)

2021-05-15_08-49-09 by artturi hautamaki

Just a quick update, I switched the VFD setting from normal use to heavy duty use and it seems to fixed the problem. In normal mode (default) carrier frequency is pwm, and in heavy duty it is 8khz.

For me this sounds like normal spindle? (there is no blower at the moment to get better sound from it. I didn't run it more than couple of seconds without load)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlUDF8jkvuw

One more video about squeeking sound which is like bearing failure? Spindle coast to stop so there is no vfd involved and it still makes not so pleasant noise..

Click the picture to play video

Spindle test by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr

And no load current is about 2,5A in7200rpm and little over 3 at 24000rpm. Is these values okay?

Hautamak

One more video about squeeking sound which is like bearing failure? Spindle coast to stop so there is no vfd involved and it still makes not so pleasant noise..

Click the picture to play video

Spindle test by artturi hautamaki, on Flickr
    The VFD Drive is involved even when it is stopping, the spindle motor will be producing back EMF when stopping, so never disconnect the Main Power to the VFD Drive or you will damage it

Yes that sounds like the Bearing is skidding, when the Grease is new this can happen, run it at low speed for a while and see if it improves, this will help to spread the grease let it warm up so run from 7200 up to 12000 in steps over a 20 minutes run and see if this helps, you may have to run it a few times like this and go up higher to the max RPM over time, if it does not get better then you may have a bad spindle
    Mactec54

And no load current is about 2,5A in7200rpm and little over 3 at 24000rpm. Is these values okay?

Hautamak
    Where were you taking the measurement from ??? a regular meter can not be used with a VFD Drive, unless it has a low pass filter, or you have a high quality meter, you will get a false reading
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Where were you taking the measurement from ??? a regular meter can not be used with a VFD Drive, unless it has a low pass filter, or you have a high quality meter, you will get a false reading
    Hello,

I did get readings from vfd. It has feature to show current amperage.

I'll try to warm it up and see if the bearings get better..

Hello,

I did get readings from vfd. It has feature to show current amperage.

I'll try to warm it up and see if the bearings get better..
    Most VFD Drives have this feature, but you don't know if that is for the output current or the input or if it is per phase so is not a good indication of what is really going on, if it is output then that 3Amps would be 1 amp per phase so does not seem correct

Your spindle says it is 6amps then if it is, only 6A rated then it is not a 2.2Kw spindle, the normal 2.2Kw is 8.5A / 9A Rated some are up to 10A Rated, so something wrong with the 6A on the name plate
    Mactec54

Yes, it seems that lot of chinese spindles are 6a, even the real amperage should be way higher. For me this wont matter as the spindle seems to work okay and the temps keeped pretty low as I test ran it.

I Didn't get V/f control to work, but sensorless vector seems to be much better. at 7000 rpm I can't stop the spindle by hand (with gloves). Even thou I have understood that it's not healty for spindle to do heavy work at low speeds.

I do post here some instructions how to set up yaskawa v1000 with chinese spindle. If it helps anyone.

Hautamak

Yes, it seems that lot of chinese spindles are 6a, even the real amperage should be way higher. For me this wont matter as the spindle seems to work okay and the temps keeped pretty low as I test ran it.

I Didn't get V/f control to work, but sensorless vector seems to be much better. at 7000 rpm I can't stop the spindle by hand (with gloves). Even thou I have understood that it's not healty for spindle to do heavy work at low speeds.

I do post here some instructions how to set up yaskawa v1000 with chinese spindle. If it helps anyone.

Hautamak
    What is the minimum speed you have set normally with the air cooled spindle they don't go that low, if it has a forced air ( electric fan ) then it should be able to go down to 6000 RPM like the water cooled spindles, most don't cut below 7000 to 7200

There are a few that have used the Yaskawa v1000 VFD Drive for these spindles

If you could not get the V/F mode to work then you never set the main Parameters that it needs
    Mactec54

Yes I agree that the v/f parameters are not set correctly. I think biggest reason is that i didn't find matching v/f curve. And manual states that you must enter it before autotune. As in openloop vector there is no need for it, you can just enter the motorplate data and run autotune. If someone have correct curve I'd like to test it out. (Mid frequency output, min frequency output, etc)

Hautamak

Yes I agree that the v/f parameters are not set correctly. I think biggest reason is that i didn't find matching v/f curve. And manual states that you must enter it before autotune. As in openloop vector there is no need for it, you can just enter the motorplate data and run autotune. If someone have correct curve I'd like to test it out. (Mid frequency output, min frequency output, etc)

Hautamak
    Yes if it was only as easy as that, no magic happing within your drive, there are other Parameters you have to set

You are not going to find a profile all VFD Drive are by Default either 50 Hz or 60Hz, it is easy to do your own you know your motor spec's that's all you need to setup the V/F mode Parameters, running in vector mode does not set all the needed parameters for your spindle, auto tuning will only do a basic setup, of the motor it's self, it can't set parameters on how you want to control the drive and safety Parameters

Acceleration Deceleration Minimum Frequency Max Frequency ( .55 ) is you voltage to Hz ratio so with this number you can set the other Parameters, your Base and reference frequency = 400

So all you need is the Minimum Frequency ( Speed ) that your spindle can run at and then you can do the Middle Frequency Voltage Etc. with the ( .55 ) V/H ratio

You should have the main Parameters set before you do an Auto Tune this would include most of what is needed for V/F mode Control

Just getting the motor to run in vector mode is the easy part
    Mactec54