584,866 active members*
4,950 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > GWizard default surface speeds

GWizard default surface speeds

Do you guys use the default surface speeds in GWizard or do you amend them with data from elsewhere?

The default numbers for an uncoated carbide 2 flute end mill for aluminum are considerably higher than the ranges I've seen in other calcs,

GWizard shows 1200+ SFM vs 500-800 in other calcs.

Doubling this number means a huge increase to the spindle speed and feed recommendations.

This would be a good thing if I can rely on the default surface speed numbers. It's not so great if the calc is relying on me amending that field with external data (that I don't have)....

If I am meant to amend the surface speed, how do I calculate the correct number?

Tool manufacturers usually state a range that's too wide to be useful (or nothing at all). Is it just a guess or is there any science to this number?

Re: GWizard default surface speeds

Are these values for dynamic milling (high efficiency) with chip thinning in mind? HSMadvisor spit out these numbers for 6061 at 1.5" depth, 3/4 carbide. 10k rpm 1962 sfm, 280 ipm. I think Bobs numbers are pretty close if this is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    Are these values for dynamic milling (high efficiency) with chip thinning in mind? HSMadvisor spit out these numbers for 6061 at 1.5" depth, 3/4 carbide. 10k rpm 1962 sfm, 280 ipm. I think Bobs numbers are pretty close if this is the case.
    I'm just using the tab (in GWizard) called "feeds / speeds".

For example, if I select aluminum 6061 with a 2 flute ZRN coated carbide 1/4" end mill, it defaults to a surface speed of 1560 sfm. This results in the spindle speed field reading 22646 rpm and feeds of 130 inches per minute for 0.1" full width cuts (I.e. slots).

Now, the spindle speed slider turns yellow at 22646 (for reasons I don't understand). If I scale it back to 20437 rpm it turns green again and this leaves the feed field at 117" per minute.

This still seems very fast compared to other calcs.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that GWizard is wrong. I don't have that kind of expertise. I'm just not sure if I am using it right.

Unlike in other calcs, the surface speed field is editable. It's clear that this field is responsible for the massive difference. If I change the surface speed down to the 500 sfm I've seen in other calcs, the spindle speed goes down to 7200 rpm with a feed of 42" per minute.

As I understand it, GWizard has algorithms specifically for cutting aluminum on a high speed CNC router vs other calcs that are usually for traditional low speed / high torque mills. I'd expect there to be a difference.

Obviously I'd prefer to use the faster spindle speeds and feeds. I just want to make sure that I should be using the GWizard default surface speed vs the tool relying on me entering external data for this field.

Ive never used GWizard, but my guess with the slider turning from green to yellow means youre pushing the tool outside optimal cutting conditions. I use this calc micro100.hsmadvisor dot com, you can use it to compare data.

The last thing I need is another calc. I already know that different calcs produce different numbers and in most cases they are no more useful than a guess for high speed machining.

I've chosen to try GWizard because I've been told that it has useful algorithms for cutting aluminum with high speed spindles.

I'm looking to hear from someone with GWizard experience if they use the default surface speeds, or not.