584,846 active members*
4,579 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NcStudio VFD settings needed please

Hi all, after a long time away I have another machine.
    I am using NcStudio again because it served me well for years and was pretty much set and forget for me.
    The problem I have is I cannot work out the settings I need to select in the vfd to enable speed control using NcStudio. I have read the manual, searched high and low but have struggled to find guidance. The settings revolve around using SPL SPM & SPH.
    The vfd is a Huanyang HY02D223B with a matching Huanyang 2.2kw water cooled,spindle, NcStudio is 5.5.60.
    If anyone is using the same setup, would you mind sharing your PD settings with me please, I don’t want to take a guess and get it wrong.
    Thanks for reading this, any shared settings would be much appreciated. Also posted this in Chinese Machines hoping to cover all bases.
    Cheers Rob

Re: NcStudio VFD settings needed please

Quote Originally Posted by robbec View Post
    Hi all, after a long time away I have another machine.
    I am using NcStudio again because it served me well for years and was pretty much set and forget for me.
    The problem I have is I cannot work out the settings I need to select in the vfd to enable speed control using NcStudio. I have read the manual, searched high and low but have struggled to find guidance. The settings revolve around using SPL SPM & SPH.
    The vfd is a Huanyang HY02D223B with a matching Huanyang 2.2kw water cooled,spindle, NcStudio is 5.5.60.
    If anyone is using the same setup, would you mind sharing your PD settings with me please, I don’t want to take a guess and get it wrong.
    Thanks for reading this, any shared settings would be much appreciated. Also posted this in Chinese Machines hoping to cover all bases.
    Cheers Rob
    The VFD Drive settings are as listed for the VFD Drive and Spindle SPL SPM and SPH These are not used for your setup

What are the outputs from your control???

Does it have a Relay output for the Drive if so this will be used to Turn On / Off

PWM to Analog 0-10v Output, this is all you need to control the speed with

Huanyang Mactec54
    2.2Kw 220v 400Hz Water Cooled

PD000=0 ( 0 For Parameter unlock ) ( 1 For Locked )

PD001=0 (1 For Remote Control)

PD002=0 ( 1 For 0-10v Terminal Control or Remote Trim Pot Control ) ( J1 Also Needs to be set for Remote Terminal Control 1-2 jumper connection )

PD003=400

PD004=400

PD005=400

PD006=140

PD007=20

PD008=220 (Motor Rated Voltage )

PD009=77

PD010=11

PD011=120 ( 100 Minimum Setting )

PD13= 08 (is for Factory reset, Only use this to set VFD to Factory Default Settings )

PD014=8 ( Acceleration Adjust to suit)

PD015=8 ( Deceleration Adjust to suit) ( PD15 is ignored IF PD26=1 Then the Spindle will Coast to a Stop)

PD023=0 ( Forward Run Only )

PD041=8 ( Carrier Frequency up to 10 Max for these Spindle motors)

PD120=120 ( Stall Prevention )

PD141=220 ( Motor Rated Voltage )

PD142=9 ( Motor Max Amps 2.2Kw Spindle 9 amp )

PD143=2 ( Motor Number of Poles)

PD144=3000 (Max Motor RPM) 3,000= (24,000)

PD070=0 ( This may need to be set to 1 if Control Voltage is 0-5v )

PD072=400

PD073=120 ( 100 Minimum RPM Setting )

PD174= ??? ( To Be Set to the VFD Drives Max Rated Output Amps )

Note if PD011 and PD073 are changed then PD06 and PD09 will have to be reconfigured also
    Mactec54

[QUOTE=mactec54;2452534]The VFD Drive settings are as listed for the VFD Drive and Spindle SPL SPM and SPH These are not used for your setup

Does it have a Relay output for the Drive if so this will be used to Turn On / Off

Thanks for the reply mactec54

From what I know I do need to use the spl spm sph inputs to control speed, these are the outputs on my bob.

Pd047, 48 & 49 as well as Pd086, 87 & 88 are what I need to use from the limited info I can find but not 100% sure on all settings hence my post.

Again, thanks for the reply.

[QUOTE=robbec;2452662]
    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The VFD Drive settings are as listed for the VFD Drive and Spindle SPL SPM and SPH These are not used for your setup

Thanks for the reply mactec54

From what I know I do need to use the spl spm sph inputs to control speed, these are the outputs on my bob.

Pd047, 48 & 49 as well as Pd086, 87 & 88 are what I need to use from the limited info I can find but not 100% sure on all settings hence my post.

Again, thanks for the reply.
    No you don't need to use them, you control has a 0-10v Analog output that is all you need for the speed control

Which of these do you have for connections

SVC ???

AVC ???

GND ???

C00 ???

Y00 ???
    Mactec54

Are you referring to the bob?
    If so, it only has a GND connection from the connections on your list, non of the others.
    This is the bob I am using, the three red lines indicate the spl spm sph connections.

Attachment 463834

I just rewired an older camaster that had nc studio. It used 4 wires to the spindle and had 3 set speeds. One wire was the activation wire and touching that wire to each of the other 3 turned it on and ran it at those speeds. Yours may be different, but that's how this one was.

Are you referring to the bob?
    If so, it only has a GND connection from the connections on your list, non of the others.
    This is the bob I am using, the three red lines indicate the spl spm sph connections.

Attachment 463834
    You would be better off using Mach3 than that setup which is not very good what is the Main NC Board model #
    53C ??
    95A ??

With that Breakout Board you have no choice, that is a very poor example of a Breakout Board it has no opto isolation
    Mactec54

Thanks for your input guys, I understand what I was trying to achieve was not ideal but it was going to be easy for me.
    Anyway, when I bought my machine it came with a Grbl based controller which I didn’t really want to have to learn about but I now am.
    It’s a Spark Concepts xPro v5, starting to get my head around it. It has a couple of output methods for spindle control so presently just trying to work out which to use then will need to find vfd settings.

Will update this once I have success.
    Again, thanks for your input.

Thanks for your input guys, I understand what I was trying to achieve was not ideal but it was going to be easy for me.
    Anyway, when I bought my machine it came with a Grbl based controller which I didn’t really want to have to learn about but I now am.
    It’s a Spark Concepts xPro v5, starting to get my head around it. It has a couple of output methods for spindle control so presently just trying to work out which to use then will need to find vfd settings.

If you want to connect it with those 3 wires then you need to setup Parameters

These numbers may be different for your VFD Drive as there is some other options, this will give you a starting point though

A Ground or Com connection is also needed so 4 wire and you will have a set 3 speed not ideal but a starting point

PD047=17
    PD048=18
    PD049=19

PD080=1 it may be 2
    PD086=120
    PD087= 140
    PD089= 400
    These may also be in a different order with your VFD Drive but with the same numbers though

If you have a 0-10v output then there is another way to do it that will give you any set speed you want, so if you can check your outputs by testing with a meter if your 0-10v output changes when you use your control in MDI mode do a M3S6000 or a M3S12000 = around 5v if you see this happening then there is a simple way to connect to the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

So I just checked with the Spark Concepts xProv5 it has a PWM 0-10v output so that is an easy setup if this is what you are using that can be as simple as just 2 wires connected to the VFD Drive

If it has a Relay somewhere that will be even better there are work arounds if it does not have a Relay
    Mactec54

Your a legend mactec54, always replying like this is very much appreciated. This whole vfd setup thing is becoming a very very steep learning curve for me, once up and running I will be back in a more comfortable place.
    Hopefully I am correct in that:
    The xpro 0-10v would connect to the 10v connection on the vfd
    The xpro GND would connect to the ACM on the vfd
    Attachment 464264

There is an onboard relay, it puts out a 24V VFD logic signal according to the controller specs.
    Not sure where to connect this to on the vfd yet.
    Attachment 464266

Will start looking through the vfd Pd setup now and see what I can come up with. Looking through the settings you provided above, would I just need to change PD001 to 1 & PD002 to 1 and the rest would be ok?

Cheers

Update on my very steep learning curve.

mactec54 - just realised that he xpro 0-10v would need to connect to the VI connection on the vfd not 10v.
    Also realised the relay output NO would connect to DCM on the vfd & the relay GND/COM would connect to FOR on the vfd.

I am pretty sure i am heading in the right direction with this but would definitely appreciate your input to validate what I am learning is correct or if you believe there is a better way.

Cheers

Update on my very steep learning curve.

mactec54 - just realised that he xpro 0-10v would need to connect to the VI connection on the vfd not 10v.
    Also realised the relay output NO would connect to DCM on the vfd & the relay GND/COM would connect to FOR on the vfd.

I am pretty sure i am heading in the right direction with this but would definitely appreciate your input to validate what I am learning is correct or if you believe there is a better way.

Cheers
    You will need all the Parameters set that are in the list if your spindle is 400Hz

Yes not far away FOR and DCM for the Rely to VFD Drive connection ( Now the Relay output to the VFD Drive can not have a Voltage on it, so check this before you connect it ) this is just a Switch so be careful with this

For speed control VI and ACM Analog 0-10v output for your speed control ( again this needs to be checked with a meter to see that it is changing with a speed command before connecting it to the VFD Drive )

VFD Drive J1 Jumper will have to be in the right position for Remote control to work also

PD001 and PD002 plus the J1 Jumper is normally the only change needed for Remote control, sometimes there is another Parameter also that may need changing but do this first

If you have the Spindle setup and running with the KeyPad this is best to test before you go Remote, as once you go Remote the Keypad will not work only the Stop button is active , you can still change modes but no Start function

If the 0-10v is not working then you will have to use the PWM 0-10v output
    Mactec54

Thanks again, will look at this again tonight and try, feeling more confident now that I am starting to understand this.

Cheers

Update.

All working as expected, thanks for the advice, I actually got a reasonable understanding of the process in the end.
    Now on to the next problem

Cheers

Hi Robbec, I'm new to CNC and right now I hit a road block. Been trying to get it to work with RS485 and only managed to get it spin but have the error below. Could not stop (M5) it or change to another speed unless I reboot the VFD.
    [MSG:Spindle RS485 Unresponsive 7] [MSG:Critical Spindle RS485 did not reach speed 7000. Reported speed is -1 rpm.]

Tried all the fixes that I could followed from github and reddit (grounding) without any success.

Than I came across your post and try it out. Still could not do it. Appreciate if you have any idea where I go wrong. Below is my setting. Thank you.

-xPro v5, HY02D223B, Spindle 2.2kw 220v Air Cooled
    -VFD setting same as the one mactec54 posted.
    -xpro Switch EN/PWM
    -xpro 0-10v to VFD VI
    xpro GND to VFD ACM
    xpro Relay NO to VFD DCM
    xpro Relay GND/COM to VFD FOR
    -xpro Relay jumper Spindle Enable/SP_EN (the relay kept on and off the whole time)