585,733 active members*
4,899 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Uneven Tramming - twisted gantry??

Hi all,

I just slightly moved my machine for some workshop re-arranging, and decided to go through the whole re-leveling and tramming process with the new 4hp spindle - all looks good.

Then, I completed my spoil-board resurfacing and found a bothersome hiccup. I surfaced it with X-axis passes, and on one side the surface is super smooth as expected, but by the time it gets to the other end of the x-axis, the tramming is off (y-tramming) by quite a bit (I'll guess .005 in 1.75" surfacing bit stepover).

Any ideas? It's almost like the x-gantry has a twist in it, or the guide rail is uneven. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by kodamarichie View Post
    Hi all,

I just slightly moved my machine for some workshop re-arranging, and decided to go through the whole re-leveling and tramming process with the new 4hp spindle - all looks good.

Then, I completed my spoil-board resurfacing and found a bothersome hiccup. I surfaced it with X-axis passes, and on one side the surface is super smooth as expected, but by the time it gets to the other end of the x-axis, the tramming is off (y-tramming) by quite a bit (I'll guess .005 in 1.75" surfacing bit stepover).

Any ideas? It's almost like the x-gantry has a twist in it, or the guide rail is uneven. Thoughts?
    More likely if it's a new problem the table is not perfectly leveled?