And by super cheap, I mean FREE! (well at least the machine) My cousins run a cabinet shop, and I helped them obtain, and get running, this older Shopbot unit LOOONNNG ago. They have since upgraded and purchased a 5x12' Laguna. The Shopbot was in the way, and they generously gave it to me for my help to them.

The Shopbot was running proprietary software in DOS. Decided it was time to upgrade it a little... but on a budget. Project started with just some general clean up of the unit... blowing out dust, cleaning rails, etc. Snagged an old Apple computer case from work that was in the scrap pile, gutted it, and started making my controller. It was neat that the computer had 4 hard drive trays that I could use to mount 4 motor controllers. Decided to use an Arduino Mega and run GRBLGru 5. Want to drive the 2 Y axis steppers with a single controller, (motors are 1.5A and the controllers are 3A cont.) and add a 4th axis using some parts from a CNC spindle cutter that they also gave me.

I've been working on this project in winter only for 2 seasons now. Id like to finish it up and get it running. I've built controllers for 2 smaller machines (under 12x12" cut area, running grbl on an Arduino UNO) and would like to get this bigger unit up and running. I'm CADing the Shopbot so that I can add it to the machine manager in grblgru I'm open to any and all suggestions! The choices I've made so far have been based on budget. CHEAP AS POSSIBLE. I realize I could have gotten a better controller, maybe went the Mach4 route, etc. I'm more into open source, freeware, dirt cheap Arduino clones... etc. I could purchase higher dollar options, I just prefer to have bragging rights on how cheaply I've done it. (hope that makes sense lol)

I have a laptop inside the case that is running GrblGru. The current plan is to cut a window in the case side so that I can see the screen and "ALL" parts are inside a single case. I have a few contactors in there for the router and dust collection. A low profile 28V 450W dc power supply, the arduino mega of course, and 4 Wantai DQ542MA motor controllers. Id love to know your alls thoughts... GrblGru the best (cheap) route to go with the Arduino Mega? Would you build or do anything different? At this stage I have fra589/grbl-Mega-5X installed on the Mega, have it talking to grblgru 5, can jog at least the x axis (y,z, and a are hooked up but have not jogged them yet.) CAD drawings (of the Shopbot) for the machine manager in grblgru are almost done... I've been slowly going through the tutorials on that. I lack case fans, hooking up the contactors, mounting the laptop, etc. If you would like to see all the photos of the build so far, feel free to go to https://photos.app.goo.gl/T9CDbzShe9Yw5Ggw5 Ill stop rambling now. Let me know your thoughts!! Thanks!