584,841 active members*
4,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Le royaume Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD

Hi there !

Mach3 with USB to RS485 converter stick and working Le royaume Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD 2.2KW.
    All in good working condition.....when a manual tool change stop in a G-code came up which I was running. Machine stops, Z-axis raising up. But the Spindel doesn't stop. Because I was unsure if something in the G-code might not be ok, I pressed the spindel stop button in Mach3 to manually change the tool. That didn't work, so I pressed the STOP button on the Huanyang VFD. That worked, spindel stoped and I changed the tool.

But since then, I can NOT start the spindel again !! Spindel is ok. Changed settings on Huanyang VFD to manual...spindel starts and stops with the buttons on the Huanyang VFD without problems. Restarted PC and Mach3 multiple times.......the USB to RS485 converter is shown in the device manager....port is correct, settings are correct.....but when I start Mach3, I get the message : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	464367

I have no idea what happend there ! Can't start the spindel with Mach3 plugin since I pressed STOP button on VFD. Before everything was working well. Any ideas or experiences with similar problems ?? Broken USB to RS485 converter or brocken communication card in Huanyang VFD ??

Re: Le royaume Mach3 plugin for Huanyang VFD

Sounds like either of the units could be at fault, you would need to try them separately.
    Either with a 'scope or by substitution
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Update ! Ok the USB to RS485 converter stick is broken. I have no idea why. It just stoppend working. The new one worked right out of the box. The wire connection to the VFD is NOT a shielded cable. I wonder if I caught some electromagnetic interference which killed the IC max485..... At least it's running again.

Quote Originally Posted by Georg View Post
    . The wire connection to the VFD is NOT a shielded cable. I wonder if I caught some electromagnetic interference which killed the IC max485..... .
    Is it a standard motor or a HS 400Hz spindle version?
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

It's a standard HS 400Hz spindle. I keep the cables separate, but there is always that stretch of 5 inches right at the connection terminal on the VFD. I know these inexpensive USB to RS485 converter stick have a reputation to break easy for no reason in the microcontroller community. Nevertheless I think I will change the connection to a shield cable, just to have a higher quality setup.

Meanwhile I found out.....shielded cable are always a good choise. But due to the communications protocol of RS485 it is advised to use a twisted pair cable, like a CAT5 oder CAT6 cable.