584,340 active members*
7,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Old VF0 BT40 to Cat40 conversion?

Hybrid View

Old VF0 BT40 to Cat40 conversion?

Hoping someone can help me out. I’ve got a 1992 VF-0 with a 16 tool carousel that is currently BT40 that I’d like to switch to Cat40.

I’ve searched other threads and haven’t had much luck finding info on the setup I’m using. They talk about swapping the extractor fingers and installing the dog key either on top or bottom of the extractor fingers to accommodate the different sized holders. It’s basically an assembly that consists of the fingers, keys, springs and hardware.

Unfortunately... mine doesn’t use this type of assembly. Instead of “fingers” it is a single piece clip in the shape of a wishbone. The tool holder forces theses fingers to move outwards and then they snap back into place around the tool.

Attachment 464412

I was hoping to just buy new fingers and reassemble but not sure how this type of setup works. Is anyone familiar with this setup and know what may be needed to swap to Cat40? I would assume different clips but unsure if the whole plate needs swapped. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re: Old VF0 BT40 to Cat40 conversion?

Haven’t had much luck with this. Haas tech said it was too old and therefore they didn’t have a lot of info on it. Recommended not swapping since they don’t have parts/info on it.

So, I decided to design my own. Its completely designed and ready to machine, just curious if anyone knows of a good suitable material? A coworker recently recommended 4140 and then heat treat. Claimed the heat treat would prevent it from fatiguing when the clips expands outwards multiple times. Sounds good, I’m fine with heat treating too but wondered if that was overkill or if there’s a better material to use.

Does 4140 sound reasonable? Heat treat? Any other material suggestion?

Here’s pics inside showing the clip and how it rides. It’s filthy in there, I’ll be cleaning it out before too long.

Attachment 464738Attachment 464736Attachment 464734

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Evening, you may want to pop over to the Haas forum on practical machinist... There are several guys w/ a 92 and 93 machine. Its been a few years but my 98 VF 21 changer manual specifically notes that it can be either BT or CAT, and you flip the shoe 180 and reassy.... Not sure it's the same on the 16... but can you just flip it over? My 98 came w/ them all installed for BT. I had to flip them all back to CAT. It's in the earlier PDF service docs. Just a thought. Good luck. Cool project. 4041 w/o HT is my 2cents. try one of each...

Thank you for the reply! Yes they can definitely be flipped over. From what I've measured there won't be any interferences as long as the Z height is adjusted after flipping them. However, it is much more difficult to force a CAT holder into that BT clip (while the clip is disassembled and in a vise of course) to the point that I didn't want to force it as I was worried it stretch it out. Makes me think the CAT and BT clip diameters are slightly different.

Also, thanks for the material suggestion. I'll probably go without heat treat. After thinking about it more I bet I could make it out of whatever steel I wanted and then see how many cycles I get out of it before it starts giving me trouble. Then swap to something else if it has issues. Something tells me it's not as critical as it seems to be.

Talked to the HFO again the other day, told them I'd be willing to take on the risk and install them anyway as I felt pretty confident on what needs to be done. He said they were $75 a piece. I passed on it, figured I could make them for less than $10-15. Already have it all programmed, borrowed some BT40 tools, just need to order some material now.

Quote Originally Posted by countryguy View Post
    Evening, you may want to pop over to the Haas forum on practical machinist... There are several guys w/ a 92 and 93 machine. Its been a few years but my 98 VF 21 changer manual specifically notes that it can be either BT or CAT, and you flip the shoe 180 and reassy.... Not sure it's the same on the 16... but can you just flip it over? My 98 came w/ them all installed for BT. I had to flip them all back to CAT. It's in the earlier PDF service docs. Just a thought. Good luck. Cool project. 4041 w/o HT is my 2cents. try one of each...

Hi, I bought a milling machine like your milling machine. Unfortunately, the parameters and all settings have been deleted. It does not run programs. If your machine model is vf-0. Please send me the general parameters and settings of the milling machine so that my machine can work again. Let me start, thanks, dear colleague [1993] vf-0