584,829 active members*
4,837 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Blue and White 50W Chinese Laser Y axis NEMA motor issue

I have the Blue and White 50W Chinese laser. Recently the Y axis NEMA motor starting having fits starting and stopping. I connected the rotary unit that runs off the same stepper driver to see if the controller had any issues. It doesn't and I had zero issues engraving 20 glasses. So I am guessing it is either the NEMA 23 that runs the Y axis or the wiring for it. I would like to replace the motor but I am having a hard time finding either specs on the one I have or a replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is information I got off the existing stepper motor.

Type: 23HD450Y 2S
    FH160315 Smooth
    Stepper driver JMC 2M542-06

It is a dual shaft with 4 wires.

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Blue and White 50W Chinese Laser Y axis NEMA motor issue

Looks like a pretty run of the mill nema 23. Does it need a dual shaft? I see single shaft versions - search for 23HD450Y. I'm guessing that 2S stands for 2 shafts.

Before you buy a new motor, I'd tighten up everything (couplers, mounts, belts, suspenders, ...) and make sure the wiring is good, too. Motors don't usually just go bad.

Yes it needs to be a dual shaft, unfortunately. I found the single versions too but can't seem to find that dual one. I am hunting down a spec sheet so I can find another that fits the bill. Thanks for the advice on checking other things. That's today's assignment for me. The laser had a fire in it last year towards the front of the laser and toasted the belt on the bridge. I replaced it and all the end stops. Since then the Y axis has been a little jumpy. After checking this site and others I found that it could be the wiring from the motor to the connector, or potentially the 2 drive belts. The fire was very localized and I caught it right away. But it could have caused the belts to stretch and throw everything out of whack. On the plus side a lot of my business is engraving things on the rotary which is having zero problems.

It’s always helpful to state your country as folks on this site are from all over.

Steppers don’t normally go bad. Unless they get really hot. I would check wiring, connectors and any mechanicals including belts. Swap the stepper from somewhere else and see if it follows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jcoogan View Post
    Yes it needs to be a dual shaft, unfortunately. I found the single versions too but can't seem to find that dual one. I am hunting down a spec sheet so I can find another that fits the bill. Thanks for the advice on checking other things. That's today's assignment for me. The laser had a fire in it last year towards the front of the laser and toasted the belt on the bridge. I replaced it and all the end stops. Since then the Y axis has been a little jumpy. After checking this site and others I found that it could be the wiring from the motor to the connector, or potentially the 2 drive belts. The fire was very localized and I caught it right away. But it could have caused the belts to stretch and throw everything out of whack. On the plus side a lot of my business is engraving things on the rotary which is having zero problems.
    I'd bet money on the belt being messed up. Fire has a tendency to do that...

If you really need a new stepper motor, just find the specs on the single shaft one and get similar but with dual shaft.