Hello Folks,

I already own a 50w chinese CO2 laser machine, but it cannot cut metal. Right now I am looking into buying a fiber laser engraver, partly because this is what I think I can afford, partly because I think (maybe wrongly) that I could use it for cutting maximum 1mm thick stainless (even if fairly slowly and in case there is one with enough power). I saw that these machines can be purchased with an x-y table, which would be great for getting straight cuts . . . in case instead of using the galvo mirrors, just having the beam vertical and move the table underneath instead (use it in x-y cutting mode). Now this is what I know almost nothing about. The machines I see on the net equipped with an x-y table, can they be used as lasercutters, or is the x-y table only ment for holding several parts and engrave them in the same fashion? I hope you know what I mean. How much power is needed to cut 1mm thick stainless? Any advice, also on brands, types, what should I look at etc. would be highly appreciated.