Hello,

I recently purchased a used 1100 S3 in seemingly very good condition. I've become sufficiently confused about what is needed to ensure everything is square. I've googled around quite a bit and seen the Tormach videos, documentation, and plenty of other stuff out there. I've bugged the owner enough about other things I've probably overstay my welcome when it comes to questions.

The mill has some caster foot pegs on it. (https://www.zambus.com/products/ac-0...saAt1nEALw_wcB). It was assembled there on site in a garage that was not very level, so he had to adjust them to get the right height of the stand, and then had to shim the mill to the stand. Standard procedure.

I bought it as one piece, and moved to my garage. Since I don't fancy removing the mill from the stand, I did my best to level the whole thing together as one piece. My garage is very much not flat, apparently. The rear needed some substantial blocks, about .610" to get the machine flat.

1st Concern:
Because the machine is assembled to the stand, I'm a little afraid the shimming he had done is unique to his situation and not necessarily the stand itself. (?) I would think in theory I should level the stand first, and then the mill separately, but I've never heard of anyone doing that to a used mill. I'm afraid I'm stacking errors here and arriving at a level top.

2nd Concern:
As it stands, the machine table is very flat, but as I sweep the dial test indicator across the full 18" of X in the T slot, I'm seeing about .006" of movement in Y. So, about .001 per 3 inches. That seems pretty bad, and it's very consistent. So I'm afraid perhaps that while the bed is flat, and seems to stay flat with travel, something is incorrect from above causing this behavior.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks