584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

macro problem grblgru

Having gotten my machine running the way I want, I've now switched back to grblgru,
    which is a great piece of work. I love the macro capabilities.
    I'm having trouble with the %input macro.
    If I enter the text in the examples from either the instruction manual, or the youtube video,
    the dialog box does not appear, but an error message does,

macro input:
    [test]
    %inputs, enter data,number,#thing, in which I expect to see a box with title "enter data",
    a blank input space to the right of label "number", with #thing being the value entered.

The error message is shown below; no dialog box appears.
    any help gratefully received! /thank you /mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails gruerror.jpg  

Re: macro problem grblgru

Upon examining other macros, it is first necessary to define some arbitrary default value for each variable
    to appear in the dialog box. Then you may change that value as needed - That solved my problem.
    I repeat, what a great program!

I'm too late. You've already helped yourself.
    Let me know if you need anything else.

thank you. I DO have another issue, I'd like to display spindle speed. I've checked "yes" in the pulldown setting menu, and set $10 to 3 (and other values).
    Not sure where it should show up. It does show up in UGS. During threading, there is a max speed above which my carriage won't move, corresponding to maybe
    200 rpm. I'll be using 24v instead of 12 shortly for steppers, but I'd still like to know the speed. I assume "status" display is the right hand window? nothing there.

Also, after a single $$, the parameters are displayed, but nothing works after that, have to restart grblgru.

Thanks for the response and help with this great piece of work!

If you have enabled "Show spindle feed" in the settings, the spindle speed display should be shown on the left side. (See pics)

For direct communication with the controller you have to activate the switch "Command line". Then you can send commands directly to GRBL. During this time the normal operation is passive. To reactivate the normal operation you have to switch off the switch "Command line". Note that you can change the size of the two controller windows with the mouse.

Thank you - My install is on a Win7 laptop in the shop, and was the reason for my question.
    Just tried it on my win10 desktop and it works, and as they say in the IT helpdesk language, "Trouble In Chair".
    Thank you again. I continue to be impressed by this work!

While the control panel DID show up on my shop PC, there is no actual spindle speed reading. It does show actual speed in UGS. $10=3, $40=4.
    I can enter a value into the speed window, but nothng from the detectors. Thanks /mark

Sorry, you are right. The display does not work. I don't use this display because I set my spindle manually with a potentiometer. That's why I haven't noticed it yet.
    There is a new version V4.2.9 on my website, so it should work. Please note that you have switched on the automatic switching on of the spindle.

You can also show the speed in the huge display. You can choose in the settings what you want to see. You only have to enter the corresponding letters.
    X=X axis, Y=Y axis, Z=Z axis, F=Feed, S=Spindle, T=Time:
    For example XYZFS will show X axis, Y axis, Z axis, Feed and Spindle.

thank you, exactly what I needed. I manually control the spindle; some programs won't run unless the spindle is "running", so I usually insert an M3 Sx line, but
    run manual. I did use an optical tach to create dial markings, but can't see it from my chair. Interestingly, this little Sherline lathe and KBIC dc speed control
    maintain the spindle speed quite well, even at very low rpm and heavy loading.

OK, but new version barfs. Will not "run as admin". ?? thanks
    Attachment 464954

RPM display appears once, then static.
    Entry for big display - add "S", , the S vanishes, and never appears on the screen
    These are on my "shop" machine, win7. The win10 one won't let me install.
    I'll try a total re-install on the Win7 machine, and on this win10 one, I'll try totally removing and uninstalling and try again... Wish me luck /thnx

Win7: new, beta version gives an error with some value out of range when I add the "T" to the big display string. Eventually reverted to previous version. While spindle speed is being detected, it does not display.

In the line for the huge displays there is only space for 5 displays.
    There was still an error if you entered more than 5 letters. In the new beta version V4.2.10 I have fixed this.

GRBL-L vs L-Mega - the latter has a line in it's config.h specifying limits for $41 values (debounce ticks). The UNO version has no mention of $41 in config.h.
    As I've been trying to use the UNO version, and found that it does not accept $41 as a valid item, and also that $10 bitmask returns to 0000000 after restarting GRBLGRU, I suspect that
    the UNO version has not been updated with the changes you have made. I can find a MEGA and try that, but would prefer to use the UNO if possible.
    Can you confirm the above, or perhaps update the -L version with the most recent changes? Is there some build-identifier in each version that I can use
    to confirm that I have the latest? / thnks for your help!

Sorry, I meant $31

I'm not sure I understand your question correctly.
    GrblGru provides protocols for different controllers. Grbl, TinyG, g2core and Mega-5x. I do not modify controller software.
    So normally you can always flash your controller with the latest version. Only if the protocol changes, I have to make changes in my software. But that is very rarely the case.

sorry, problem is not macros now, it is entry and storage of $10 and $31 on an Arduino UNO loaded with GRBL-L, and with spindle display speed on the large, top line display in GRBLGRU.
    The command $10=4 gets a response of "ok", but is NOT retained by the GRBL-L controller. $31=255 is rejected as an unknown value by the controller. I have retried a complete install
    of GRBL-L and the latest version of GRBL-GRU, and first removed all incidences of "grbl" as either a file or folder name, before reinstalling the GRBL-L library.
    On two different PCs.
    I began to wonder about possible differences between the UNO and MEGA versions, and discovered that the config.h files are different, with the MEGA version having reference to
    the debounce value, but not the UNO version. I have not experimented with the MEGA version due to availability of a board, and due to a health issue.
    In summary, $31 and $10 values are not accepted and stored by GRBL-L, using GRBL-GRU or any other GCODE sender. Thank you for your continuing responses to my problems.