585,932 active members*
3,809 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CAM software to choose toolpath for g-code

CAM software to choose toolpath for g-code

Hello everyone,
    Short question is, is there any software that let you choose or modify the toolpath before converting it to g-code from a dxf or dwg file?

Context:
    When we convert the dxf to g-code, the toolpath that the convertion choose is the order the design was drawn, so if you draw the outer lines first, and then the inside ones, there are high chances of getting a fail piece. When you only have a small desing that is no problema, but we are cutting 2x3 meters steel sheets with more than 100 cuts, more less 3 hours of cutting.
    So is pretty difficult to not mess up the toolpath. So, someone know if there is any software to modify that toolpath before or after the g-code is done?

Thank you for your help

Re: CAM software to choose toolpath for g-code

Quote Originally Posted by piro00 View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Short question is, is there any software that let you choose or modify the toolpath before converting it to g-code from a dxf or dwg file?

Context:
    When we convert the dxf to g-code, the toolpath that the convertion choose is the order the design was drawn, so if you draw the outer lines first, and then the inside ones, there are high chances of getting a fail piece. When you only have a small desing that is no problema, but we are cutting 2x3 meters steel sheets with more than 100 cuts, more less 3 hours of cutting.
    So is pretty difficult to not mess up the toolpath. So, someone know if there is any software to modify that toolpath before or after the g-code is done?

Thank you for your help
    If worst comes to worst. You can usually open a gcode file in windows notepad.
    You can then at least swap the different toolpaths around.
    This can be time consuming however.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    If worst comes to worst. You can usually open a gcode file in windows notepad.
    You can then at least swap the different toolpaths around.
    This can be time consuming however.
    Yes I now that, but is not an easy task when you have more than 4000 rows

Why not try Fusion 360. Make all of the modifications and run simulations before cutting metal.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Hi,
    I go with Jim here....

There are a few things I don't like about Fusion360..
    I don't much like the subscription model, having said that you do get excellent, I would say class leading value for money for your subscription.
    So while my initial reaction was poor I've come to appreciate Autodesks solution with respect to subscription.

I don't like the cloud based thing, if the internet is out or even slow then forget Fusion...its a real PITA when your trying to work a project to a deadline, I really REALLY
    hate this shortcoming.

I'm less than happy about what Autodesk have done to Eagles polygon pours.......the Fusion360 Electronics module is essentially Eagle remodeled but they have
    broken my most useful ULP program (PCB-Gcode). Worse, Autodesk have said that it is a low priority for them....ie they can't be bothered to fix what they broke, and that
    pisses me off.

There are a lot of things I like about Fusion360.

It is a complete package. For example the Electronics Design module, despite my gripe above, is incorporated, as is a Finite Element Analysis module.
    Thus you get a pretty damn good CAD package, so you can sketch your PCB say, with all the drawing tools you would expect, then convert that to a PCB
    which is tied to your electronics design, including schematic capture, PCB layout and Spice simulation. Or you can design a part or structure using
    the aforementioned CAD and then analyse the structure for stress/strain under load. You can assemble parts and simulate mechanical operation...
    all in all its a great package of features

For the dollars I think Fusion360 is head and shoulders above the competition. It's free to start-ups and hobbyists, and they heavily discount the initial subscription
    should you want to buy-in as I did.

Try it out.

Craig

You should look for software that has the option to use the shortest path between objects or to determine which general direction the machine proceeds.What hasn't been mentioned is the software the OP is actually using.There may be a well concealed option box that would allow a more efficient cutting strategy.

That sounds very interesting !

I have created a small program "GrblGru" ( see here in the forum a few lines above) with which I calculate GCode for mills and lathes. If you provide me with a DXF file and explain what exactly you are looking for, I can try to find a solution.

We use Feature cam at our company, is really good but is expensive. Guess you get what you pay for though in all honesty. I think One-CNC is good for smaller companies not looking to outlay a lot of capital.

Kind regards

Tim

www.mmturnedparts.co.uk