584,837 active members*
5,319 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > GibbsCAM > Fanuc is Corrupting My Program on Flashcard

Fanuc is Corrupting My Program on Flashcard

We're just getting our shop started again after about 4 years. We're running an older VMC with a Fanuc 21i controller. Since the onboard memory is too small, we have to run programs off the Flashcard. I'm using the M198 PXXXX command to call our program. The problem we're seeing is that mid-run, the program is getting corrupted. So it starts fine, starts running and then all of a sudden, at random times, it will alarm out and you look at the code on the screen and it's gibberish. It will have a X.00000000000000000000000000000000000 and no Y value or some random error like that. I pull the card out and go check the program in Notepad ++ and sure enough, the program is the same on the card. I go back and look at the original program saved on the network and it does NOT have the issue. So at some point, the program is getting corrupted. Additionally, sometimes it just changes values and it crashes or takes a chunk out of a wall that's it's not supposed to. Just totally random and it's different every time. I'll reload the original file on the card and run it again and it will crap out in some other random spot with some other data.

I've tried restarting the machine, formatting the 2 GB card (Fat32), blowing out the card and slot. Nothing has helped. I have a new card and card adapter coming Monday to try that. Any ideas?

Re: Fanuc is Corrupting My Program on Flashcard

Quote Originally Posted by mcCNCfl View Post
    I've tried restarting the machine, formatting the 2 GB card (Fat32), blowing out the card and slot. Nothing has helped. I have a new card and card adapter coming Monday to try that. Any ideas?
    Is the flash card fast enough I wonder, mb/s?.

Re: Fanuc is Corrupting My Program on Flashcard

2 GIG card has no business being in that control. You are better off using 256Meg. How big is your program? Not all cards even within the size limit are 100% compatable with the Fanuc system. I use 256MB Compact Flash Card from CNC Specialty Store LLC.