584,833 active members*
5,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > UG NX > milling on sketch like creo trajectory milling

milling on sketch like creo trajectory milling

hello, I have a question about nx12 .in nx cam can we milling on 2d sketch-like trajectory milling in creo. I am a creo user for the last 15 years but now decide to shift on nx for manufacturing only ..right now trying to learn nx but my mind continues to relate every cycle like creo parametric

Re: milling on sketch like creo trajectory milling

Hello,
    I am not familiar with Creo trajectory milling. If you describe it I may be able to recommend something close in NX.
    NX 10.0.3

thanks for your reply please check this link for a short video of creo trajectory milling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaF2NosynNg
    Thanks
    FSA

I think I can get you going with a similar operation in NX. In NX you could cut those faces with one operation in NX, it's called Z-Level Profile. It is solids based so you don't even need any boundaries for this path unless you want to use boundaries for trimming. In this case you would select the entire part solid for Part and select the faces you want to cut as Cut Area. For step down you can arc-in/arc-out every level, ramp level to level or stagger ramp level to level. If you want to maintain a nice finish for your final path, turn on Optimized depth cuts. This operation type is for semi finishing and finishing so if you need to rough this part first, you should use Cavity Milling. I don't recall if Siemens introduced Adaptive Roughing in NX 12 yet or not and there have been several releases since then. Adaptive Roughing is an efficient roughing path, in the peel milling style. Anyway, I think you'll really like the NX Z-Level Profile operation. It works great and produces nice paths. In NX 12 I think it cannot do undercuts but that might be in the latest version.

By the way, keep in mind NX is very geometry centric, very powerful and makes it easy to create great toolpaths that would typically cause mid-range CAM to take more time or even struggle. Typically you will select your solid part for Part and then select the faces you want to cut as Cut Area. 3-5 axis paths, turning and wedm operations use cut area. This methodology is very efficient and eliminates a lot of work when containing a tool path to specific areas. I rarely need to create geometry for path containment. Planar Milling operations are boundary driven like old school paths but do come in handy once in a while.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions!
    NX 10.0.3