584,861 active members*
4,996 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Tormach 770MX Usable Bed Length

Hi! I'm very new to CNC work, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I've been looking at buying a 770MX and I know I want to add a trunnion table to it, but I'm trying to see if it'll fit. Looking at pictures and models of the 770MX bed, I can't figure out what this is on the left side of the T-slot table (see photo). Can I bolt the base of my 4th axis to it, so my trunnion table will then be out over the workable space? Thanks!

Re: Tormach 770MX Usable Bed Length

Quote Originally Posted by Joz234 View Post
    Hi! I'm very new to CNC work, so please excuse me if this is a stupid question. I've been looking at buying a 770MX and I know I want to add a trunnion table to it, but I'm trying to see if it'll fit. Looking at pictures and models of the 770MX bed, I can't figure out what this is on the left side of the T-slot table (see photo). Can I bolt the base of my 4th axis to it, so my trunnion table will then be out over the workable space? Thanks!
    Hi Joz234, that is quite an old picture I think, the 770MX looks a bit different. There is just a steel cover over the X servo motor and this has no capacity to have anything bolted to it imo. I will try to post a photo of what it looks like but, the answer is probably no. Also, that is the end where the ATC is, and tools hang down pretty low from the toolholder carousel, if you specify you want the ATC, that is.

Wow, that does look different, thanks for the info! I guess I need to be thinking about finding something smaller to mount on the right side of the table.

Also, I just realized you can probably answer another question I have! I'm hoping to be able to fit a 12" tall part in the 770MX. Tormach sites the travel as 12.7, so given tool holding and tool height this makes it not seem possible. However, when I check their CAD model of the machine it appears that the distance from the bed to the bottom of the spindle is 15.075". And given that I doubt that the spindle nose can run all the way down into the bed, this seems to make sense. So the question is, could I machine the end of a 12" tall part in the 770MX? Thanks in advance aftcargoheat!

I would say that's another no, I am afraid. I attach two photos. This is my brand new unmodified machine run the to Z limit switch (which I guess you could adjust a tiny bit) with and without a BT30 ER20 collet holder with an average cutter.

I would say this is 13 5/8" from bed to spindle gauge height zero - BT30 do not sit flush to the spindle like TTS toolholders.

I would say 11 1/4" from bed to ER20 collet, so I have a 3/4" cutter stick out giving me 10 1/2" max Z in this config. It is all very well them quoting max Z, but real world use, you gotta use a tool!

And btw, the spindle does jog down to "almost" touching the table, but no idea why anyone thinks that is a useful feature!

See attached two pics.

HTH

no idea why anyone thinks that is a useful feature!
    Because it makes the numbers go up!

Also, no, 12" tall won't *practically* fit to do any work on it.

You could kinda jam it in there and use a classic R8 collet with short stick-out, if you just need to take shallow passes off the top, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, just holding something that's 12" tall with sufficient rigidity to take clean cuts at the top seems quite hard -- there's a bit of a flag-pole problem there...

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    Because it makes the numbers go up!

Also, no, 12" tall won't *practically* fit to do any work on it.

You could kinda jam it in there and use a classic R8 collet with short stick-out, if you just need to take shallow passes off the top, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, just holding something that's 12" tall with sufficient rigidity to take clean cuts at the top seems quite hard -- there's a bit of a flag-pole problem there...
    The MX won't hold an R8 collet because its BT30, but you can get dedicated short endmill holders for BT30 that would do about the same thing, with the same issues.

You maybe could get up to some shenanigans with hanging the part off the side of the table on an angle plate if its small enough, but not really a fun thing to be doing if you can help it and the Y axis isn't that far down either..

Spindle down to the table is useful for engraving large thin plates, but otherwise seems to mostly be used when moving the machine to keep it less top-heavy.