584,817 active members*
4,832 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > New Member First Post

New Member First Post

Hello all,
    I’m a retired steelworker who has been woodworking for about 10 years.
    I’m 69 years old and have noticed that I am slowing WAY down, doing the woodworking that I love. My body just doesn’t have the get up and go that I once had.
    And that, is what brings me to this forum. I want to purchase a CNC to help me in my woodworking. Why don’t I just go buy one and get it on?
    Because I’m sure there are people that have done that but I want to start from scratch.

I know NOTHING about CNC. I want to learn. I am willing to spend between $1000 and $4500, IF I can get something with a small learning curve, or plug and play. I would really like to stay around $2500. I’m not CNC literate.
    I don’t need anything super big, maybe 4’ x 4’ max.
    If there is anyone out there that could spare a little time to give me some guidance and direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
    Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Member First Post

If your woodworking energy is flagging, I'd hesitate to advise you to launch into a CNC-building project. But if you have a lot of enthusiasm for building things out of metal, and the skills and equipment to do it with, then it might be worth considering. Check out as many build threads on this site as you can manage; let other people's struggles inform your own. In general, you should strive for maximum rigidity; this - or the lack of it - will be immediately apparent in your cut quality. Build the frame before shopping around for electrical and electronic parts; things can change in the middle of a build, and you don't want to be stuck with motors and drivers that limit its performance. Also, there's a lot to learn about all this stuff, and giving yourself more time to learn it is a good thing.

On the other hand, it might make more sense to look around for a good deal on a used CNC router, rather than try to build one from scratch. Many brands have forums where people try to sell their used machines; it's also worth checking your local Craigslist or used machinery dealers. There's usually enough work to do in upgrading and maintaining a machine to satisfy most of us. If you're doing this to accelerate your woodworking projects, machine building would be a sidetrack, although it can be an interesting one.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

If you have access to metal, a welder and other metal working tools then I’d recommend building it. You will probably end up with something better than you can buy.
    4x4 is a bit large but it all depends what materials you have. Like a granite slab makes a great base.

I don’t have any metal working equipment and don’t plan on purchasing any. I am more interested in purchasing a CNC that is ready to use or at least one that supplies all the parts needed for me to build. I’m actually looking for one that can make use of my Dewalt DWP611 router. I am not afraid to attempt to build a kit if I am sure that all the parts are sturdy and can give me stability and accuracy.

Check out openbuilds.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post
    Check out openbuilds.com

Ditto on tje openbuilds I got my controller and power supply thru them and I got my OX cnc thru Bulk Man 3D the foot print is 750mm x 750mm but it is a mechanical kit though where you have to buy extra. But here are some sites I look at for the whole setups at pretty good prices.

https://www.foxalien.com/
    https://millrightcnc.com/buy-now/
    https://bulkman3d.com/ now they do have full kits but just have to put them together plus they are different sizes