584,826 active members*
5,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Parts source for 9X20 - got one?
Page 1 of 2 12

Arrow Parts source for 9X20 - got one?

I thought I had a source tucked away but after an exhaustive search of my links as well as this forum, I am unable to locate a source for repair parts for the 9X20 HF or Jet lathe. I am a bit suprised because I seem to recall a link in this forum but a search for "parts" or "repair parts" turns up nothing relevant.

Can anyone help a brutha out with a repair parts source? I desperately need a spindle drive belt or three...

Thanks!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

i get my belts from www.Wholesaletool.com

It appears as though that site has been hacked (?). I get a page that states something to the effect of:

"Products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional."

Just a tad unusual for a commerce site.

Scott

Scott,

I bought my belts at a local bearing supply house for about 1/2 of what I could find them anywhere on the web. You might see if you could have such luck. It also meant no shipping charges.

Alan

Ebatmus.com carries the polyflex belts. I have ordered from them several times and they have good prices and excellent service. A 5m710 belt goes for $ 7.51 and a 5m730 goes for $7.73
    Grizzly has every mechanical replacement part for the g4000 9x20 which is the same as the HF 9x20.

Steve

Check your local parts, belts and bearing stores. The belt is made by Gates

Here's were I bought my belts, very fast shipping! Buy a few at a time, you'll need them. I can't believe they make these belts so small, I guess this is another money maker on the 9 x 20 HF.

http://www.evbelts.com/advanced_sear...o=&dfrom=&dto=

Here http://wttool.com/
    Wholesale Tool Co. - Industrial Supply

and here http://www.grizzly.com/products/G4000
    G4000 9" x 19" Bench Lathe

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    I can't believe they make these belts so small, I guess this is another money maker on the 9 x 20 HF.
    Twocik,

I have had my lathe for 7 years and have never had to replace that belt. I have had to replace the toothed belt though. Maybe I should knock on wood, but most of the people that I have talked to said that the small belt is way stronger than the toothed belt. I believe that it is urethane instead of rubber.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by S_J_H View Post
    Ebatmus.com carries the polyflex belts. I have ordered from them several times and they have good prices and excellent service. A 5m710 belt goes for $ 7.51 and a 5m730 goes for $7.73
    Grizzly has every mechanical replacement part for the g4000 9x20 which is the same as the HF 9x20.

Steve
    This is where I ordered the 5M730 from (www.Ebatmus.com). I ordered three of them on Monday, had them Wednesday. Only problem is that it appears I need the 5M710. The 5M730 is too long, but I was able to manipulate a tensioner and run the job, so I am off the hook for now.

The problem now is that I have three of the longer belts and have no use for them!

Does the Harbor Freight 9X20 take a 5M710?

The Grizzly lathe manual shows a 5M730 and I thought they were identical machines to the HF9X20. I guess there are some differences in their pulley sizes or maybe its the motor base.

Anyway - it looks like I need a 5M710 for the Harbor Freight 9X20 and I have three 5M730s.

Thanks for the links and the help, guys!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras View Post
    This is where I ordered the 5M730 from (www.Ebatmus.com).
    Anyway - it looks like I need a 5M710 for the Harbor Freight 9X20 and I have three 5M730s.
    I finally broke the belt on my HF 9x20 lathe. I contacted ebatmus for the 5M730 and they are backordered, then I found this post.

Can someone tell me which one the HF actually requires, 5M730 or 5M710 ?

I appreciate any help,

Steve

HF 9 x 20 Manual:

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals...5999/45861.pdf

HF Parts: 1-800-444-3353

It takes about 2 months to get them.

CR.

Thanks CR but I'd already been down that road, and several others. HF tech line could only give the info in inches and it converted into ~800mm.

I didn't want to wait any longer or pay shipping that amounted to the same price as the belt so I went to Carquest this morning and got a 3/8" x 28" standard V-belt. I welded up a simple jig with guide rails 3/8" apart with a utility knife razor blade sticking up through a slot in the center and locked in place underneath with set screws. Mounted the jig in a vice.

I set the 3/8" belt into the jig and pulled it through and it very neatly sliced the belt exactly in half. I touched it up on my bench belt sander to give a slight V to the cut side and installed it on the 9x20.

It works just fine, smooth and quiet and I ran it all afternoon turning 2" cold rolled steel down for Tormach style mill tool holders. The belt didn't even get hot, no problems. And it only cost $12.00 and got two from one belt.

Anyway, I'm happy !

ENCO sells a 9x20 and also the jet version as well i believe and pretty much everything a machinist would want . sign up for there e-mail and they will send you free shipping codes and such as 10% off .

Harbor Freight 9x20 Lathe Gears - HELP!

Hey there - I see that this site hasn't had much activity for quite some time, so I'm hoping someone checks in and can help.

I need the plastic safety gear that is used on the Harbor Freight Lathe model # 45861. Google searches are of no help.

I need to get a couple of these replaceable gears as soon as possible.

Anyone know of a supplier?

Thanks!

- - -
    Michael (Pipe Mike)
    www.pipes4mike.com

Hi Mike. Welcome to the Zone!

I think the Grizzly G04000 9x19 is the same lathe as the HF 9x20. They stock most parts for immediate shipment:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g4000

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g4000/parts

CR.
    http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

I thought they were the same, as well (or at least 90% the same). But I notice the v-belt is different, (the HF45861 takes a p/n: 5m710 v-belt - 710mm) and the Grizzly is different. Also, I did not see anythings pertaining to the plastic gears. They have a notice advising they won't tell you if their parts will fit other machines - Not sure why!

I'll keep searching around, though!
    I'm Pipe Mike
    www.pipes4mike.com

Quote Originally Posted by PipeMike View Post
    I thought they were the same, as well (or at least 90% the same). But I notice the v-belt is different, (the HF45861 takes a p/n: 5m710 v-belt - 710mm) and the Grizzly is different. Also, I did not see anythings pertaining to the plastic gears. They have a notice advising they won't tell you if their parts will fit other machines - Not sure why!

I'll keep searching around, though!
    Not any need to search around... the only reason the belt is different is that Grizzly switched motors on the G4000 some time around mid-2008. Machines before that time took a 710, and the newer machines take a 730.

Grizzly sells both.

Other than the different motor and paint job, maybe a few other cosmetics, the machines are identical.

My HF lathe takes the 5M710. The lathe was bought in about 2006.

If anyone needs the 5M730 I have three of them. I have no use for them, so make me an offer and pay for shipping and they are yours. I am thinking $10 plus shipping would work.

Scott

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras View Post
    My HF lathe takes the 5M710. The lathe was bought in about 2006.

If anyone needs the 5M730 I have three of them. I have no use for them, so make me an offer and pay for shipping and they are yours. I am thinking $10 plus shipping would work.

Scott
    I sent a PM about the belts. Just broke mine yesterday.

Mitch Davister

Page 1 of 2 12