584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: DMM Servo

DMM Servo

Hello All,

I'm currently in the conversion stage of my Bridgeport Series 1 CNC, the machine originally had a Anilam Crusader M 3-axis control. However, over time components have failed, the machine is in great shape and I didn't want to scrape. I decided to upgrade to a PC type CNC control with new AC DMM servo motors. After everyone's recommendations, I decided to utilize the .75KW NEMA 34 motors and DYN4 drives. I have adapted the new servo motor to my existing Anilam motor mounts by adding a 1.00" plate between the motor and the mount. This has created another issue, now the shaft is not long enough, so now I need some type of shaft extension or a wider pulley. I would like to try to utilize some of my old Anilam timing components but the gear ratios may not be right for the new AC servos, the original machine had Baldor140VDC servos.

Currently since my machine is inoperative, my fabrication abilities are very limited. The new DMM servo has a 14mm key-way shaft, would it be better to utilize timing pulley stock? Steel or Aluminum?

What have others utilized to solve this issue, any and all recommendations would be appreciated. I found an older thread on DMM upgrade pulleys but have decided to start a new one.

The "X" and "Y" axis components are identical, here is what I currently have:

AXIS MTR PULLEY P/N (SM) PULLEY
    GROOVES
    SHAFT DIA. TABLE PULLEY
    P/N (LG)
    PULLEY
    GROOVES
    SHAFT DIA. BELT
    WIDTH
    BELT
    P/N
    GEAR
    RATIO
    "X" AND "Y" MAUREY 14L050CMPB 14 .625" W/KEY WAY TL21L050 21 TAPER LOCK 1108 .500" 300L050G 1:5
    "Z" MAUREY? 10 .625" W/ KEY WAY TB18L050 18 TAPER LOCK 1108 .500" W/KEY WAY .500" 187L050 1:8

"X" and "Y" Axis:

"Z" Axis:

Thanks,, Mark

Re: DMM Servo

...the network is our old friend to the end.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/

and the beat goes on...who's on top of the Game

Quote Originally Posted by seapacer2 View Post
    Hello All,

I'm currently in the conversion stage of my Bridgeport Series 1 CNC, the machine originally had a Anilam Crusader M 3-axis control. However, over time components have failed, the machine is in great shape and I didn't want to scrape. I decided to upgrade to a PC type CNC control with new AC DMM servo motors. After everyone's recommendations, I decided to utilize the .75KW NEMA 34 motors and DYN4 drives. I have adapted the new servo motor to my existing Anilam motor mounts by adding a 1.00" plate between the motor and the mount. This has created another issue, now the shaft is not long enough, so now I need some type of shaft extension or a wider pulley. I would like to try to utilize some of my old Anilam timing components but the gear ratios may not be right for the new AC servos, the original machine had Baldor140VDC servos.

Currently since my machine is inoperative, my fabrication abilities are very limited. The new DMM servo has a 14mm key-way shaft, would it be better to utilize timing pulley stock? Steel or Aluminum?

What have others utilized to solve this issue, any and all recommendations would be appreciated. I found an older thread on DMM upgrade pulleys but have decided to start a new one.

The "X" and "Y" axis components are identical, here is what I currently have:

AXIS MTR PULLEY P/N (SM) PULLEY
    GROOVES
    SHAFT DIA. TABLE PULLEY
    P/N (LG)
    PULLEY
    GROOVES
    SHAFT DIA. BELT
    WIDTH
    BELT
    P/N
    GEAR
    RATIO
    "X" AND "Y" MAUREY 14L050CMPB 14 .625" W/KEY WAY TL21L050 21 TAPER LOCK 1108 .500" 300L050G 1:5
    "Z" MAUREY? 10 .625" W/ KEY WAY TB18L050 18 TAPER LOCK 1108 .500" W/KEY WAY .500" 187L050 1:8

"X" and "Y" Axis:

"Z" Axis:

Thanks,, Mark
    I replied to the other thread, what is the overall ratio of the drive these are small Timing Pulleys as far as drive pulleys go for this type of mill

The 1" mounting plate is also way to thick .375 to .5 is all that is normally used

The L series x.500 wide belt would not be ideal, the old Bridgeport Boss machines use the H series and x1.00 wide Belt just to give you an idea
    Mactec54

The gear ratio is not critical, anything from 1.5:1 to 2:1 would be fine. The encoder pulses/inch (or mm) is adjusted in the controller setup.

Like Mactec54 said, the 1'' mount adapter is too thick.

How much shaft extension do you need to get the pulley on the shaft and get the pulleys to line up?

I would be tempted to make a shaft extension that would slip onto the motor shaft with an OD that was at least 0.875'' at the pulley bore and bore the original pulley to shrink fit. Make a clamp type fit on the motor shaft. This is where you can be a bit creative.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA