584,842 active members*
4,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Mach Software (ArtSoft software) > Wiring Help with DB25-1205 DQ542MA Nema 23 Motors Mach 3 Demo

Exclamation Wiring Help with DB25-1205 DQ542MA Nema 23 Motors Mach 3 Demo

I'm a newbie to this stuff and this forum. so please bare with me and make explanation simple to understand for an old 62 year old fart

I need some help with configuring my drivers and wiring for Mach3 Demo version
    This is what I use:

Windows 7 pro with 32 Bit
    Parrallel port
    when I crank up Mach 3 and then go to device manager.
    I get a ? mark under drop down, so I applied a patch that I applied, but it still stays there ????????

Wantai DB25 1205 Breakout Board
    Wantai stepper motor Model 57BYGH115-003 3.0 A 1.8 Deg/Step
    4 x DQ542MA Wantai drivers

I'm using the Mach3 Demo version.

I connected everything like Wantai motors told me.
    motors lock up when power is applied and it looks like mach 3 is going through its stages, but motors do not move

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have tried to use directions for setting for mach 3, but I guess they may not be correct either

I have a 5 volts power supply hooked up to MB , But when checking voltage it only reads 2.8 volts
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image 1.jpg   Image 2.jpg   image 3.jpg   image 4.jpg  

Re: Wiring Help with DB25-1205 DQ542MA Nema 23 Motors Mach 3 Demo

...what PC operating system are you using? posting photos of wiring may help too. Click on "Go Advanced" to attach files

Appreciate the information. Took me a few minutes, but I got 4 images uploaded..I probably need to get some good wiring diagrams and start from the beginning..
    Little confusing for me, but would like to be able to accomplish this task..a challenge to the old brain..Lol

i just order and received a Dell Optiplex 380
    from ebay..seems to work fine
    Windows Pro 7 with 32 Bit
    Parrallel port installed or came with it
    Motors and drivers along with board and 25-Pin parrallel cable Came as a kit from ebay about a year ago

...all good information to know for others to help get you going. 1st problem is Demo mode most likely. I'm not a mach3 guy so, not sure of functional limits in demo maybe your problem..
    enjoy your new Hobby

mach 3 stated it should run in demo mode, but code was limited..I figured I would try it , since I'm not sure if I can fulfill my duties building it before I go nuts..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CNCDummy12 View Post
    mach 3 stated it should run in demo mode, but code was limited..I figured I would try it , since I'm not sure if I can fulfill my duties building it before I go nuts..LOL
    I'll dig my one out tomorrow and have a look.
    I use my 5 axis one with relay instead.
    I have all the diagrams somewhere.

Mach3 demo runs up to 500 lines of code with no limitations.
    Hopefully there isn't a Win7 issue too. I couldn't get mine reliable so used xp which is by far the best os to use with mach.

got lucky and got the X & Y set up with mach 3 demo..entered the sample Gcode from Mach 3 and was able to go through the motions on the computer and had the motors set up on top the table and it looked like they were doing their job, but could not get z axis to do anything.. the mach 3 was going through the motions, but Z motor did not move any at all. Can any of you pros tell me if it might be something in my settings in mach3..I have tried everything..Found a lot of diagrams and other information on internet...but nothing that helps me resolve issue

I have a good deal of sympathy for the problems encountered as I experienced something very similar with my LinuxCNC installation.Which means I have nothing to add regarding Mach 3 problems specifically.I may have missed something,but didn't see any reference to what is moving the machine and it leaves me wondering if the Z axis may be at the top of it's range of travel and the wiring reversed so that it is trying to move up when it has nowhere to go.It might be worth winding it down by a couple of turns before powering up the machine to see if it tries to move up instead of down.Is there a key or a screen icon that would allow you to move the Z axis without trying to run Gcode?

A 5 volt power supply that is only delivering a little over half it's stated output won't be improving things.I bought a power supply and checked the voltage,which was extremely close to 5V and it didn't cost much.The motors locking up with power applied is exactly what they should be doing and then when the correct number of pulses for the desired move is transmitted it should send them the correct distance once the calibration is correct.

Hi CNCD-12 - are there Z moves in the demo code? If not then the z won't move... Peter

z moves in the software, on the computer screen in mach 3, but motor Z Does not move..when running the roadrunner in demo mode.I can't help but think that I have an issue with the settings in mach 3, but do not know what to try..
    any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same issue years ago and found that 2.8v (or what ever it was out of my MB) was not enough to energize the drivers. Soldered in a phone charger for the 5v supply and boom away they went.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

something to look at , will give it a shot. But why will my X and Y run ok..????? Appreciate your help..Thank You

Oh. Sorry I just read about 80%. Troubleshooting required. Transpose your pins in Mach 3. Ie the Z and X you know works swap pins. Or swap hardware.

You have a driver and motor that is operating. So if you put that onto your Z, and it goes. You will know it's hardware. Or opposite of that. Then you can break it down from there. Driver or motor or pins or wires.

Take your time. You will sort. The good thing is you have something working