585,679 active members*
5,029 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Am I doing it wrong? Tool setter with an ATC on 1100 3

Am I doing it wrong? Tool setter with an ATC on 1100 3

So a year or so back, I got a tool setter because manually measuring tool length offsets and then putting them in the ATC and expecting them to repeat in Z was...you know.

I use Fusion 360 and although I've been at this for 4 years now (coming from purely manual machining), I have not figured out a good way to call for a G37 on tools that matter (in Z) aside from manually entering G37 in the Gcode after the tool call and before the spindle speed. Not such a big deal doing it this way unless it's a big program where I'm tweaking operations and re-posting (and re-pasting G37!) repeatedly.
    Seems like "use G37" should be an option on the Post Process options or on the Tool tab of any given F360 operation.

Re: Am I doing it wrong? Tool setter with an ATC on 1100 3

Most users simply customize their post processor to implement custom mods like this. I recall John Saunders of NYC CNC doing a video on modding the pp for a custom tool change location. The youtube link below will at least walk you through a high level of customizing your Fusion pp, and get you thinking on how to get to the finish line on this. Its not exactly what you need but will give you insight into modding the PP in Fusion 360.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    Most users simply customize their post processor to implement custom mods like this. I recall John Saunders of NYC CNC doing a video on modding the pp for a custom tool change location. The youtube link below will at least walk you through a high level of customizing your Fusion pp, and get you thinking on how to get to the finish line on this. Its not exactly what you need but will give you insight into modding the PP in Fusion 360.
    Thanks for the link, at least I wasn't missing something obvious!

I think David Loomes? has a post processor on his site that provides an option to check tool length at the start of the program, after a tool change, and before a tool change. Might check that out. Xoomspeed.com iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I think David Loomes? has a post processor on his site that provides an option to check tool length at the start of the program, after a tool change, and before a tool change. Might check that out. Xoomspeed.com iirc.
    Exactly what I was looking for, thank you & David Loomes! I've been using that post all week...