584,842 active members*
4,478 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Electric Fan Air Cooled Chinese Spindle

Electric Fan Air Cooled Chinese Spindle

As in the title I am looking for a 4.5 to 6 kw air cooled electric fan Chinese spindle but am having no luck sourcing one. Does anyone know where to purchase these if indeed they are even produced.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Electric Fan Air Cooled Chinese Spindle

Electric fans are usually only found in more expensive spindles. Cheap Chinese spindles usually use shaft fans or water cooling. I've only seen electric fans in some of the more expensive ATC variants.

I have one in my PDS spindle. They have pros and cons. You get better cooling at lower speeds but high speed cnc router spindles usually have limited use below 6000 rpm anyway.

I.e. You still aren't going to being able to achieve decent performance with large diameter tools or use HSS end mills if that was the goal.

You also get slightly worse cooling at high speeds (and high speeds generate more heat).

I have a little regret in my choice. If I was doing it again, I would have gone with a water or compressed air cooled spindle.

I know you didn't ask all that but I thought I'd share what I wish I would have known myself when I was buying a spindle.

If I do decide to go with a water cooled system, has anyone tried the chillers that are available? I really do not like the idea of a bucket of water and the heat that would be generated by a spindle of this output would be substantial.

Quote Originally Posted by dakmon View Post
    If I do decide to go with a water cooled system, has anyone tried the chillers that are available? I really do not like the idea of a bucket of water and the heat that would be generated by a spindle of this output would be substantial.
    Yes a lot have started using the chillers now it is more convenient the water cooled spindles are very efficient, and don't need as much cooling as you are thinking as long as the have flow is the main thing, the liquid needs to be treated with an anticorrosion
    Mactec54

Good to know. I see now that there are a few threads on the subject. Where are most purchasing their units? I am ordering a spindle from China, maybe I should source the chiller there as well.

I like to use ebay for cheap Chinese electronics because they give you some protection against dishonest sellers.

If you plan to cut metal then spindle cooling is only half of the consideration. You'll want a mist or flood coolant system too.

Cutting aluminum with high speed spindles generates a lot of heat. I can feel a huge difference in how hot the spindle gets if I don't use adequate coolant.

Not likely to cut any metal, but will scour ebay for a suitable chiller.