584,842 active members*
4,421 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Designing Filigree Type Tool paths

Designing Filigree Type Tool paths

Hello - I'm fairly new to CNC. Just finished my build. Trying to layout a backsplash that is lots of custom and unique curves and spirals. I took a a stab at it in V-Carve pro and have access to autocad as well but not quite what I am envisioning. Any suggestions to get from this

Attachment 466246

To this

Attachment 466248

Attachment 466250

biggest thing for me is not being able to generate long smooth curves or nurbs... Do I have to use rhino or illustrator? Anyone have any success with designs like this in V-Carve pro or autocad?

Thanks!

Re: Designing Filigree Type Tool paths

Hi BWB - There are two approaches to this: 1) There is a pattern and it is copied across the panel. This is a copy or array function in CAD. Technically its called a tessellation. So you make a square or hexagonal grid (or any shape that fills a 2D space eg triangular works as well) , make the pattern within that cell and copy it to all the other cells. Just like a tiled floor 2) The design is not a pattern and is one big unique design. Cheers Peter

Vcarve will do it and if your machine will handle a large file,you will get there-eventually.You may need to import an .stl file as Vcarve only accepts those for 3D work or you will be limited to the same pattern of swirls repeated within the limits of the machine or workpiece.A large area with texture takes quite a while to machine and could take even longer to get a really nice finish on after machining.What material will the design be cut on?

Thanks guys. Was planning on cutting either 1/2" mdf or 1" alder veneer mdf. The pattern copy I definitely noticed after studying the above images a little more... Not exactly what I'm looking for but maybe that will work? Work area is roughly 72x18

In that case,I would suggest you try machining a small test panel first-say 9" square and see what it takes to get a satisfactory finish...... You might be surprised by how fine the stepover needs to be,not to mention how fuzzy the inner core of mdf goes when machined and it can take a good amount of time to sand the first layer of paint. There is also a fair chance that the sheet will bow as the relief is carved into it. Best to refine the technique on a small piece in my opinion.

Hello.
    You mentioned Rhino.
    I am using Rhino + Grasshopper bundle. This allows you to create a large number of pattern variations in NURBS.
    There are several plugins for the Grasshopper, for example Parakeet.

If you are cutting MDF, you may want to try "molding grade" MDF (if you can get it). The density is consistent all the way thru and there is little to no tension in the material. Made to stay relatively flat when there are deep profiles cut into it.