584,802 active members*
5,032 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > searching: DIY 150w CO2 laser cutter everything else but motion mechanics

searching: DIY 150w CO2 laser cutter everything else but motion mechanics

Hi

I am dreaming of building a laser cutter able to cut through about 10mm of PMMA or similar. I have built several big 3D printers and a CNC for milling aluminium and feel confident about building a laser cutter, but I don´t know what to go for about the optics and tube and chiller and more. It would be great to buy a set of the head and mirrors and tube and lenses to start with.

As allways, the budget is tight (but not defined) so I am mainly looking to China for the parts.

Also, how do the chillers work? Is there just a basic radiator and a fan, or some more efficient phase transformation based tech (fridge style)?

If you have good experience on some parts I would appreciate your tips!

Thanks

-PropellerHat

Re: searching: DIY 150w CO2 laser cutter everything else but motion mechanics

It depends on where you are located. I used lightobject out of California for laser components.
    150 watts is big so you have to use a compressor style chiller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Barcelona, Spain. Yeah I found some cheapo compressor chillers in Amazon, don´t want to order that big stuff from China because it will certainly get stuck in the customs.

Could I get the 10mm plastic cut neatly with less power than 150W?

From what I understand they regulate laser tubes in the US but distributors are able to get them thru customs.
    Yes but it depends on the plastic. Don’t cut much plastic but must typical machine here is <= 60 watts. But you should size it for the application. Find someone who will test cut?
    I really don’t think the bigger the tube the bigger the chiller as long as it’s able to keep up to how long you plan to cut full power. Probably a question for the chiller manufacturer. I use a CW5200 and have no issues with a 50watt tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk