585,708 active members*
3,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutting and engraving

Hi all,
    I'm thinking about purchasing a (chinese?)laser cutter for electronic prototyping.It should cut acrylic face-panels and some wooden elements but also allow to engrave fine scales and text.
    What power will I need? Is it true, that a higher powered laser (80 Watt) is good for cutting, but bad for engraving?
    I'm located in germany, any service here?
    Or should I import from UK?

Thank you, Frank

Wink

I haven't read much good about the Chinese lasers. They seem to be hard to set up and difficult to trouble shoot. Having said that, I have also read a FEW reviews that were very happy with the laser once it was finally set up and all the troubleshoot was done.

Power: the more power the the thicker & harder the material you can cut. However, A GREAT many people do extremely well with 30 & 45 watt lasers. All lasers engrave awesomely unless there is something wrong. Alot depends on what you are planning to do, and how much space you have. Exhaust removal is a very important item consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyCutter View Post
    I haven't read much good about the Chinese lasers. They seem to be hard to set up and difficult to trouble shoot. Having said that, I have also read a FEW reviews that were very happy with the laser once it was finally set up and all the troubleshoot was done.

Power: the more power the the thicker & harder the material you can cut. However, A GREAT many people do extremely well with 30 & 45 watt lasers. All lasers engrave awesomely unless there is something wrong. Alot depends on what you are planning to do, and how much space you have. Exhaust removal is a very important item consideration.
    I am a Chinese laser machine supplier. I do not want to argue for Chinese lasers. But, if you just notice the words which I have already colored in ladycutter's post, you will get some your own ideas.

Hi Frank, If you need to cut most of the time, you should consider buying a laser of 60watts and up. lasers with 40w or less cancut, but take too much time, like 50% or 60% more than a 60W laser.with a 60w. laser you can cut at low speed 8 to 10 mm acrilyc in one pass, you can see in some threads 40 w laser owners trying to cut it in 3 passes at full power.
    You cant have a 60x40 or smaller machine with a 60 w laser because of the size of the tube, 1.250mm length ( 4' length). 50W X each 1000mm .
    Also consider to buy a machine from some brand with speaking english people I think most of the companies with no response after sales have this problem.
    In the forum you can find good comments about hx laser * (rabbit laser) , zhongtai ( my machine) redsail, wklaser, all with some problems in the starting, but i think that makes you more happy when you put your machine to work.
    Try one, many people in the forum can help. And be sure there is a lot of fun with these machines!
    Luis

Uhh, I forgot answer all, 80w laser as 60w can engrave and cut. You dont need to much power to cut. Also you can ask for a machine only for one of the options.
    Luis

Thank you all for the nice replies!

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    You cant have a 60x40 or smaller machine with a 60 w laser because of the size of the tube
    Ooops, I didn't know that the tube is so long. Thank you for this information. Actually i considered a smaller one (60x40).
    Do you think I can cut PMMA Acrylic glass in one pass, if its only 1/8 to 1/4 '' thick ( 3 to 6 mm) with a 60 Watt Laser?

Thanks again, I will read through the older posts to fetch more infos.
    Frank

Yes, you can cut up to 6mm with 60w, 6mm is about 6mm/sec, with 80w 10-14mm/sec. 3mm with 60 w is about 10-13mm/sec.
    The 9060 machine is 1400mm width and comes with 60w(1250mm length) Any laseer machine you buy get sure that comes with 3000 series water chiller not less than that.
    Luis

a4dable

Funny, i found a 60 W laser with 500x300 mm work area size,
    see the attachment. Look at the arrow I painted, Luis is right, the tube won't fit!

I did a search on the forum and found some entries, but it seems nobody had purchased an a4dableww.com machine.
    This has water-cooling, seems to be unusual, is this good or bad?

Frank

sorry, attachment did not work.

Smile Need A Laser System ( Cutting & Engraving ) China , taiwan Laser Needed

Dear All
    iam starting a small Project
    I need a machine that can do both ( Cutting & Engraving ) tasks
    on several materials ( Wood , Glass , Acrylic , Metal, Lather ........etc )
    Iam intrested in Taiwan or China Machine also I have a Limited budget
    i knew that GCC provide good machines ( There is a dealer for it in my country )
    I wonder if you could suggest a machine model of GCC Comapny or a another company name to buy that system
    waiting for yor reply
    Thanks

laser machines can do both operations, all depends on the size you want, if you want to engrave can use a little machine if you want to cut more than engrave Isuggest you buy a 9060 or bigger machine.
    'This kind of lassers don do metals, take a read in the forum and there you can have a decision.
    Luis

RE: Cheap chinese laser to mach 3 control

Hi All,

I Have reciently converted one of the cheap chinese Laser (similar to HK40) Although not branded as such cost about $900 £500 Approx and Inported it to the UK ordered a spair tube for it from the offset incase the tube was brocken in transit (but it was OK) I converted this to run from Mach 3 as the chinese software with the ( DOG- Dongle in english ) is apsolutely CRA* I Have posted on our forum a breif description of the mods I did but if any one has any comments please feel free to ask here or post a comment on the Routout Forum. Link: http://www.routoutcnc.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=17.0

Best Regards

Mike Gaylor

thanks
    Now i understand that laser Power will determine the ability to Engrave or Cut in Laser Systems.
    actually I found a china laser systems ( about 1100 $ ), I will post the brand name and its details to know if it is suitable or not

laser cutting/engraving machine

Quote Originally Posted by hany321 View Post
    thanks
    Now i understand that laser Power will determine the ability to Engrave or Cut in Laser Systems.
    actually I found a china laser systems ( about 1100 $ ), I will post the brand name and its details to know if it is suitable or not
    dear sir,
    we can offer laser cutting/engraving machine as you need. hope we can chat on line, or wirte from email. regards
    Liaocheng Shenhui Laser Equipment Co., Ltd.
    Tel:0086-635-8511078 Fax:0086-635-8511101
    Mobile:0086-13563522963 E-mail:[email protected]
    MSN:[email protected] Skype:lcshkevin
    Web: http://shenhuilaser.en.alibaba.com www.shenhuilaser.com/eng
    Address: Huanghe Road 16th, Liaocheng Economic Develop District. Shandong Province, China.
    Kevin
    E-mail: [email protected]

hi
    i buy a new small chines machine itwork good.but no cuting potion in software.it was moshidraw software.and any one in urope want buy to products for engraving like pen,pen box,key chain.card holder.mobile stand etc.contact me

where are you located in the UK,

AS i see your english is not up to much and you seem to be the one that paul c is looking for who paid for a laser he has never received ,

If your not PROVE IT if you are look out as the laws in the uk will catch up with you