585,741 active members*
4,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

440 sliding door project

So I'm about over the flimsy plastic doors on the 440. I believe the 770 and 1100 pull open doors too, but solid doors. I want to convert to sliding doors, not sure if anyone here has done this yet?
    I bought (2)1000mm sliders/linear bearings and 1/4" lexan/Acrylic. I was having issues picturing it so I threw something together in F360 just to picture how this might work. There is much more to do with door support, front sill trim etc.. but at this point, I'll be in under $100. I'm sure there will be some hurdles, so if anyone has done this already...I'm all ears!
    Attachment 466356Attachment 466358Attachment 466360

Re: 440 sliding door project

Quote Originally Posted by Tigster View Post
    So I'm about over the flimsy plastic doors on the 440. I believe the 770 and 1100 pull open doors too, but solid doors. I want to convert to sliding doors, not sure if anyone here has done this yet?
    Seems like a worthwhile project. FWIW, the 1100M/MX enclosure uses sliding doors and the 770M/MX may too (been a while since I looked at one). Pretty standard design not too far from your concept although they slide to either side. You can probably find some drawings in the assembly guides. Put some sort of brush on the slide-bearings to keep chips out.

This guy shows how he did his on a 440.

Interesting…I’m not sure how his is set up, but that’s the concert I’m working towards but I’m trying to have it as much of the 1/4” acrylic and not metal around door as possible. Rubber seals aught to keep a pretty decent enclosure, just need the bearing blocks to have the metal support to keep rigidity. Hopefully I can start the assembly and see what I’m needing to deal with by end of week.

Also, it looks like I really need 6 bearing blocks, not 4 to keep doors against rails. The left one can be supported by right door as long as it uses 4 bear blocks.

Hi - This series was actually on a sliding/pivoting door. Here is the last episode video:

Cliff

Thanks Cliff, drawer sliders hadn’t occurred to me, great idea, however I pretty much have all my parts now so the direction is set. The pivoting ability is a nice touch, but on mine, that’s the part I’ll I will live without the easiest. Material. That’s an interesting stopping point. I know there are like 176 different chemicals that can cause cracking (mostly around drill holes or the edges which are not coated on poly. As far as Lexan, acrylic and about a half dozen other I have come across….I don’t know the up’s and downs.. poly is bullet proof, maybe that makes up for the issues you could come across with additives to coolant.
    The PET sheet they sent me ended up being .030” thick! I kept it for other stuff, but I was probably going PET for my doors…..maybe?

Ich suche auch nach Informationen zum Schiebetürprojekt. Danke, dass du darüber gepostet hast.