584,805 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

View Poll Results: What is the average hourly pay for CNC operators in your area?

Voters
749. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10.00/$14.00

153 20.43%
  • $14.00/$16.00

128 17.09%
  • $16.00/$18.00

121 16.15%
  • $18.00/$20.00

114 15.22%
  • $20.00/$24.00

94 12.55%
  • $24.00 and up

139 18.56%
Page 14 of 14 4121314

Re: What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

This has been an interesting read!

But on another note buying stuff for home or auto is not so easy and you must buy what you must buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    I just took a look at the local Craigslist ads in the Portland Oregon area. On the low end, entry level button pushers are around $14/hr, on the high end, setup/programmers at around $35/hr It looks like the average is around $24/hr for operator/setup. There seems to be a lot of jobs available. The CNC job market in the Pacific Northwest is heavily influenced by the aerospace industry, primarily Boeing Aircraft, they have a huge facility in Portland.
    Not too far off from here, but what is the cost of living there? Entry level house prices are going up again so take it for what it is worth, but most nice (not a dump, but not perfect) in nice neighborhoods here are shooting up to around $200k in the twin cities. Still having thoughts about moving somewhere warmer, but only to areas that have the demand for operator/setup/programmer with equal or better pay (depending on cost of living) to make the jump. Thankfully in the metro area here it is not too hard to find an open position.

Home prices are crazy in the Portland metro area, as are apartment prices. Entry level starter home is going to be $300K+ Average price in the City of Portland is running about $450K. The get into lower housing prices, you have to get well out of the metro area, but that increases your commute time and cost. Overall cost of living is not too bad compared to some other places, there is no sales tax in Oregon....yet. State income tax is high, top rate is 10%. Property taxes compared to other metro areas aren't too bad. The climate is generally mild, warmish winters with minimal snow and mild summers. A lot of rain normally, a near record of about 45 inches this year so far, average is about 35 inches. Overall not a bad place to live.

Thank you very much for the interesting post. I recommend washington news if you intend to continue to follow this kind of news. Where the latest news can be read.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhou View Post
    4 dollars/hour,40 dollars/day.China
    I can not believe that...But this is the highest CNC operater salary in China
    I wonder if this has changed much in China since 2006?

I am in the philly area a nd my expiernced operators are getting 22-24 dollars per hour. They are responsible for inspecting all parts and tweaking some offsets.

YYYHHYYY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    Home prices are crazy in the Portland metro area, as are apartment prices. Entry level starter home is going to be $300K+ Average price in the City of Portland is running about $450K. The get into lower housing prices, you have to get well out of the metro area, but that increases your commute time and cost. Overall cost of living is not too bad compared to some other places, there is no sales tax in Oregon....yet. State income tax is high, top rate is 10%. Property taxes compared to other metro areas aren't too bad. The climate is generally mild, warmish winters with minimal snow and mild summers. A lot of rain normally, a near record of about 45 inches this year so far, average is about 35 inches. Overall not a bad place to live.
    there is no way to make that much money as a machinist so to buy a house at $300k
    well that was 2017? multiply that by 1.5
    even with combined income i don't see it.

YYYHHYYY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edl44251 View Post
    I am in the philly area a nd my expiernced operators are getting 22-24 dollars per hour. They are responsible for inspecting all parts and tweaking some offsets.
    i was contacted by a company in philadelphia a few years ago they had a set rate of $18 for CNC operators which is not unreasonable if you ask me you'd be lucky if you had a job really
    robots are gonna replace operators everywhere sooner or later
    look at a mazak factory in japan for example. it's not something kids nowadays wanna get into it's not an aspiring career.

YYYHHYYY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by zedlips View Post
    :idea: Move to western Canada, a good CNC setup operator makes anywhere from $25.00 - $30.00 per hour. Just remember to be careful because there are smaller shops paying $30.oo++ because their very survival depends on it, but when things slow down their abiltity to keep you on board diminishes very rapidly. Go to a larger more established plant with their own product line and you'll be alright.:cheers: PM me and I'll give you some idea's.
    that makes sense when you pay $1.5 a liter for regular gas !!!!

YYYHHYYY Guest

Quote Originally Posted by krustykrab View Post
    First of all, I get paid very well. In fact probably better than 99.5% in my trade. And, I also get the notices of appreciation for those extra hours and weekends. Because I chose to work for a great company.

As far as supervising 20 cnc's, pretty apparent it's a part shop. Good for you! But I can't imagine how anyone, could program quick enough to keep 20 machines going......unless they are running the same program for days straight.

Not to mention, most part programming is fairly automated with the elite cam software available.

As far as the whining is concerned..........read all of the posts in this thread...then tell me not to comment on whining!!!!!!!!!!

The reason jobs are going offshore is because a lot of the people on this continent with any skill, have decided that they will milk their hourly rate to the maximum.......and that's a god**** fact....just look at the caw and uaw.

Pathetic......we will all be working at Tim Horton's unless there is a revolt against the corporate destroying gangsters.

how is the business going, man? that was 13 years ago
    before the recession

What I don't understand is why machinist pay is so low compared to the other trades. As an electrician or plumber, and some of the other trades you can easily make $100K plus/year. The skill set is different, but the knowledge required is at about the same level. I'm not talking about button pushers here, but rather setup machinists, even the tool & die trade pay is below the other trades at that level of skill and experience.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

hello, the poll is missing the 2-5$/hour category ...

jim, maybe is a good idea to open a new thread about that; if you ask me, i would have some kind of ideas, but it begins with this :
    ... in small shops, that are at the begining, few employers know what set of skills is required; there is the idea that the "machine is doing it all, alone"
    ... in bigger shops, still few employers know what set of skills is required, but there is an established market for their products, so there is a constant income, and salaries are generally fix; however, such bigger shops are recently being affected by the crysis of personal, and, if you are good, you may negotiate your salary, but still, the problem is that a qualified person can not work with less-qualified employees, so he may not get the money that he wishes to get, or he may get upset seeing that low qualified persons earn too much
    ... and there are the persons that have acumulated enough experience, to be able to manage a production line; of course, their experiences may be different, because it depends in what kind of machining enviroment they have grown, but generally they are able to learn / understand things pretty fast; from this last category, there are persons that are in the right place, where the stars align at least 50%, and also others that decide to start their own shop

of course, i have also asked me the same question, and, in time, i have observed that the ones that earn high numbers, are doing something, or are inside a shop, were a few things are done differently, and this is not always connected with the level of skill&experience / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

I would totally jump at a career of repairing “Robots”.
    “Robots are good people”.
    Just as long as I can continue troubleshooting and providing maintenance to CNC machines.
    *When a robot crashes a machine, I can say whatever I want, and never be called into the office because I hurt someone’s feelings... when I said “Use your brain” when pointing at the part drawing and focusing on the tolerances.”

Just be a great operator and take care of your machine and make good parts. Become a Robot and you won’t be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by James Meyette View Post
    In my view a CNC Operator is a "button pusher". Button pusher's wages go from slightly above Minimum Wage to about $14/hr max. IMHO, they are not worth that much. You can train a monkey to be an Operator.
    JM2C
    I agree. $14.80 was the calculation I arrived at and recently presented based on a minimum wage of $16 per hour.
    What drove the wage down was the choices made by the employee.
    The amount of time you pay for “nothing” within a 8 hour shift.
    They know the rules and the standards. Their choice.
    I started about 14 months ago at $11 per hour.
    Because I worked my butt off, and my personal production was of note and put the company way ahead and the year end target was now a tangible objective... I now make $19 per hour.
    I’m a operator and maintenance guy. Nothing special.
    But I can say with certainty... there are many working as operators that shouldn’t. “it’s simply not the job for you.”
    Since I became 2nd Shift Supervisor...
    I have a very basic rule. I will train you and if at the end of 90 days, you cannot meet the minimum requirements and minimum standards and have solid grasp of your job as operator .... if you cannot do this at the end of 90 days... sorry but this isn’t the job for you.

Here we pay about $8 - $12 per hour for our CNC operators, depends on their skill and experiment.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Page 14 of 14 4121314