584,814 active members*
5,215 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

View Poll Results: What is the average hourly pay for CNC operators in your area?

Voters
749. You may not vote on this poll
  • $10.00/$14.00

153 20.43%
  • $14.00/$16.00

128 17.09%
  • $16.00/$18.00

121 16.15%
  • $18.00/$20.00

114 15.22%
  • $20.00/$24.00

94 12.55%
  • $24.00 and up

139 18.56%
Page 13 of 14 311121314
    Im in eastern pa, above Philly, i work for an established company that makes their own products, I'm 35 with 15 yrs in shops and 6 yrs on cnc. I set up, edit, troubleshoot, run, and inspect on a 9 axis mill turn, 5 axis live tooling lathe, cnc internal grinder and I make low 20's. But there are some "hacks" barely 5 yrs exp period, making mid 20's. So the real answer is you make whatever you can get!

Up here in Canada we have our Prime Minister stupidly going to china to make 'free trade deals' mostly just to sell them our oil so they can then sell us their cheap goods.
    China has never designed anything, they pretty much just steal and copy what ever they want. Its hard to name anything invented in china ( just chop sticks).
    Anything they see on Ebay, they copy and sell a few months later.

What Harper (and other leaders) should do is make trade deals with Japan, Tiawan, Korea and other asian countries that design their own products.
    Japan is being killed by china, they've stole and copied every thing from motor cycles to electronics.
    Manufacturer of CNC routers and Viper Servo Drives
    www.LarkenCNC.com and www.Viperservo.com

hello, eastern europe - Latvia, good salary is 10 dollars/h, i got 7, and its not for just operator, boss gives you a machine and you have to do all by yourself - programming, set up.

I just got hired on at my first shop a month ago, making $18/hr as an operator with a .50/hr raise after three months if warrented (have been told I get it since my boss, and his boss are very pleased with me already), but with the expectations to train on setup and programing when time permits.

I went to school in the evening for one year to get a "certificate" in cnc machining, in which included training on mastercam x5, which I will be trained on mastercam x6 at work. I was hired to run there brand new Haas ec400 HMC, and hop on one of the VMC's when needed.

So far all I do in swap in parts, deburr, measure the parts, add coolant when needed, changing out worn tools, doing minor offsets in the programs to keep the parts in tolerance, ect.

I feel pretty fortunate as most people in the shop seem happy, overtime has been available for me, they treat me well. I came from a union plumbing background and even though the pay was very good, you only average 6 months out of the year working, and with that only 6 months benefits.

Only two complaints, and yes they are a lot less than most here is the health care plan you pay for is basically only catastrophic insurance, and the commute, but other than that, I am a glad I made the move

Not Enough!

Not enough...........
    www.WebMachinist.Net
    The Ultimate Online Source for Machinist Related Stuff!

majority of cnc operators in the US make more than me.

Re: What is the average hourly pay for cnc operators in your state

i like it so. thanks!

Affiliate Marketing App

Pay for the experience and its there, respect those that have spent their time in the trade and see the what they will do for you.

Located in South Texas. We pay $24-30+/hr for A grade CNC machinist. The key word is machinist and not operator.
    Most of our staff are ex-shop owners that decided a dependable pay check is nice. They range from 30-54 years old.
    You get what you pay for in this industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In NE Michigan I do everything from drawing up the part to machining it while supervising our CNC department for $13/hr. Even though I have only a little over a year experience, it's still not much. Definitely no where near close enough to just pay my bills...

That sucks

Actually here the hourly pay which depends on your skillful experience or working period, the most skillful and long experience, the more you can get in the near future.
    ISweek(http://www.isweek.com/)- Industry sourcing & Wholesale industrial products

For me the answer was self employment. Of course the VF4 cost about $90,000.00 and the TL-2 was a bit over $40,000.00. The 48" x 78" shop cost I don't know how much but took me years to get to this point. The software expenditures over the last ten years or so amount to over $30,000.00. My insurance costs me over $12,000.00 per year thanks to Obama and litigous lawyers. Don't know what the equivalent dollar value of self training on design and machining software was but certainly many hundreds of hours there. Adding all that up I strive for a shop rate of 70.00 per hr. Sometimes I get a lot more but often it is around that. Oddly enough I get paid $108.00 per hour to go out in the field and weld up 14 and 16 g stainless steel tables for new restaurants and it only takes about $4,000.00 in equipment and gobs of experience to make it look like a factory welded counter. These jobs are not all that frequent though as most restaurant chains design kitchens that avoid welding on site.

The answer for me is becoming a manufacturer of my own product line designed in house. Time will tell but working for the other guy is always going to limit you and for those of you who complain about wages often don't see the expenses involved in operating a business. In truth most people who sit in front of a machine are not also capable of running a business and it is why they never do. But yeah I think 18.00 or 20.00 per hour is stupid for real setup program and run without babysitters present guys. It is the reason why so many of the really good people here in Tennessee have opened our own shops.

why does the poll top out at $24+?????

friends of mine top out over 40

Here in Michigan it kind of depends on the trade and region you are in. And do you mean operator as in a PHD (Push Here Dummy) or a full blown CNC machinist? I commute from Flint to teh Metro Detroit area in order to get better pay. I have interviewed as a few local shops and they want to pay $5 (or more) less an hour and charge double or triple for health care. And then places in more rural areas pay even less an hour because people are beating down the door looking for jobs. There for a while I heard of a few places in rural areas that were playing the 89 days and out game with all of their 'unskilled' workers. I always take all things in to consideration when I interview for a job. You could leave a job making $18 for a job making $20 but if you currently pay $50 a week for insurance abd the new job has you paying $150 or $200 then you are basically making the same or less.

What?
    The lowest is 10$???
    Where is that? I want to move there!!
    Mine is 5 $/hour and I work 10 hours a day on a 200 000 $ CNC machine.
    I can't even vote for this one. Damn!

Alot of the cnc operators in my state, Michigan ,do not make an hourly wage anymore, They get an allowence from the Michigan unemployment commision.

Really? I am in Michigan and I see plenty of machinist jobs.

I just took a look at the local Craigslist ads in the Portland Oregon area. On the low end, entry level button pushers are around $14/hr, on the high end, setup/programmers at around $35/hr It looks like the average is around $24/hr for operator/setup. There seems to be a lot of jobs available. The CNC job market in the Pacific Northwest is heavily influenced by the aerospace industry, primarily Boeing Aircraft, they have a huge facility in Portland.

Could quite, but after some 30 years in machine shops there is not much else i can do. Make about $26 bucks on average.

Page 13 of 14 311121314