584,841 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Spindle gets hot.

Quote Originally Posted by desktoplathes View Post
    The problem is likely that Taig is the manufacturer and you bought from deepgroove who is supposed to provide you with the customer service. He sells at the deepest discount possible but there is a risk you take when paying bottom dollar… if things go wrong he’ll ghost you. At least that’s what he did to me years ago when he paired the wrong motors with a xylotex board and I couldn’t get over 10 IPM feeds without missing steps.

That said, couple questions… how are you measuring RPM? The spindle is able to do 10k but the sealed bearings get too hot much above that. The seals are what generate most of the heat. Without seals they have a higher limit. Have you placed a tach on the actual spindle pulley?
    I had a regularly conversation with Taigtools until I sent the pictures of the spindle and then they ghosted me. I have measured the rpm with a tachometer and I know it hasn´t exceeded 10 000 rpm. This spindle get hot at 2000 rpm.

The problem is likely that Taig is the manufacturer and you bought from deepgroove who is supposed to provide you with the customer service. He sells at the deepest discount possible but there is a risk you take when paying bottom dollar… if things go wrong he’ll ghost you. At least that’s what he did to me years ago when he paired the wrong motors with a xylotex board and I couldn’t get over 10 IPM feeds without missing steps.

That said, couple questions… how are you measuring RPM? The spindle is able to do 10k but the sealed bearings get too hot much above that. The seals are what generate most of the heat. Without seals they have a higher limit. Have you placed a tach on the actual spindle pulley?
    The heat is caused by the use of the Bearings that are not designed to have any Preload, using the seals as an excuse for over heating is incorrect
    Mactec54

I'm suggesting you should be going through your reseller (deepgroove1) for the troubleshooting and warranty resolution. Taig doesn't know the history of the part you're inquiring about and a picture of a spindle isn't going to reveal a bearing issue. What exactly do you expect them to do? Deepgroove would have bought the part himself from them and then shipped it to you as an international customer so they have no idea how you came across the part or what happened to it. Deepgroove does though and he should be communicating with both you and Taig about the issue and getting it resolved. From what I've heard so far, he's the one screwing you over and yet you're blaming Taig for not providing customer support when Deepgroove is their customer and you are his in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The heat is caused by the use of the Bearings that are not designed to have any Preload, using the seals as an excuse for over heating is incorrect
    So then why does it work on my mill and thousands of others without overheating? And why do the non-sealed versions of that bearing have a higher RPM rating?

I'm suggesting you should be going through your reseller (deepgroove1) for the troubleshooting and warranty resolution. Taig doesn't know the history of the part you're inquiring about and a picture of a spindle isn't going to reveal a bearing issue. What exactly do you expect them to do? Deepgroove would have bought the part himself from them and then shipped it to you as an international customer so they have no idea how you came across the part or what happened to it. Deepgroove does though and he should be communicating with both you and Taig about the issue and getting it resolved. From what I've heard so far, he's the one screwing you over and yet you're blaming Taig for not providing customer support when Deepgroove is their customer and you are his in this situation.
    I was blaming Taig for ghosting me. They just stop answering my mails without any explanation for doing so. It´s also the manufacturers that have the responsible for ensuring that their products work, but I can always try to contact Deepgroove and see if he is willing to make a solution for this problem.

So then why does it work on my mill and thousands of others without overheating? And why do the non-sealed versions of that bearing have a higher RPM rating?
    2 factors.
    1: If they're oil filled they are faster. Grease filled have drag. Rubber sealed or not.
    2: Rubber seals will melt edges and fall off at too high rpm and seals also cause drag. No drag in metal shielde.

Maybe Deepgroove change the bearings out when they get the parts in to them. Then put cheap bearings in and sells the original ones as spare parts for a premium.
    Conspiracy theory.

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Maybe Deepgroove change the bearings out when they get the parts in to them. Then put cheap bearings in and sells the original ones as spare parts for a premium.
    Conspiracy theory.
    LOL, not quite... but if he doesn't resolve things when they are his own fault, I can only imagine how motivated he will be to sort them out if it's a manufacturing defect. But who knows, people change.

Depends on the quality of the Bearings The high speed spindles that are made in China 24,000 to 60,000 RPM all have sealed Bearings the design of the spindle is what the problem is not the sealed Bearings

Why does your spindle not over heat, if it is the same design then you have less preload on the Bearings, Bearing alignment can also be a problem for over heating and the Housing and shaft fit of the Bearings are all factors in a poor design like this

The speed difference is normally the difference between Grease filled and oil lubed
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    2 factors.
    1: If they're oil filled they are faster. Grease filled have drag. Rubber sealed or not.
    2: Rubber seals will melt edges and fall off at too high rpm and seals also cause drag. No drag in metal shielde.
    Rubber seals that the Bearings use do not melt and do not cause drag that would cause heat, there Design is not like a regular oil seal, they only rest against a machined face with zero pressure, they are only a shield to help prevent any dust junk from getting inside the Bearing anything like Grease or oil can still come out of the Bearing, which you can sometimes see when a Bearing has over heated and turned the grease into a liquid

The Chinese High speed spindles 24,000 RPM to 60,000 RPM all use sealed Bearings and have no over heating problems
    Mactec54

LOL, not quite... but if he doesn't resolve things when they are his own fault, I can only imagine how motivated he will be to sort them out if it's a manufacturing defect. But who knows, people change.
    People fall for these poorly designed machines that have been around for a long time and not much has changed as long as people keep buying them they won't change, there are not many choices apart from buying a Chinese machine which in most cases you are on your own as well

His spindle is an easy fix if you have some basic mechanical and machining skills
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    People fall for these poorly designed machines that have been around for a long time and not much has changed as long as people keep buying them they won't change, there are not many choices apart from buying a Chinese machine which in most cases you are on your own as well

His spindle is an easy fix if you have some basic mechanical and machining skills
    You keep saying "poor design" but it's fairly meaningless unless you mention poor with respect to what... Cost? Reliability? Ease of production? Highest functional RPM? Lifespan? Runout? Aesthetics? Design of consumer products like this hobby tool are graded with respect to multiple variables. The Taig spindle design has sold thousands of units to happy customers who use it successfully every day. I'd say it's a good design with respect to what it was designed for - an affordable and reliable hobby lathe / mill spindle for the 1/5 to 1/4 hp motor it comes paired with.

You keep saying "poor design" but it's fairly meaningless unless you mention poor with respect to what... Cost? Reliability? Ease of production? Highest functional RPM? Lifespan? Runout? Aesthetics? Design of consumer products like this hobby tool are graded with respect to multiple variables. The Taig spindle design has sold thousands of units to happy customers who use it successfully every day. I'd say it's a good design with respect to what it was designed for - an affordable and reliable hobby lathe / mill spindle for the 1/5 to 1/4 hp motor it comes paired with.
    It would depend what you call successfully, and what your expectations are from the machine

There are not many variables, for a machine like this so stop pretending that they are something that is above the rest in this class of machine

Should not have to go into detail they are the low end of the hobby market machine if you don't know anything about mechanic's and design explaining anything about the spindle assembly would be pointless

The Bearings being used are not suitable for machine spindle bearings, even at a hobby level they should not be used, yes they have used them for years, because those that buy these machines don't know any better

It costs no more to build a spindle like this with AC Bearings or Timken taper roller bearings which some others use
    Mactec54

Can you suggest a better spindle for my Taig?

Thanks for your time.
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by fretsman View Post
    Can you suggest a better spindle for my Taig?

Thanks for your time.
    They would have to be custom made because of the spindle Housing they have, I would have to have a spindle Housing to see what could be done with it
    Mactec54

Page 2 of 2 12